Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Metro Hotel in Ballymun

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Seeing on twitter that it's after spreading over 6 floors.

Someone has fkd up then or regulations are poor

The fire brigade should be able to enter the affected room and extinguish the fire using a water outlet in the hall area .

Afaik they shouldn't even need tall appliances outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

How old is the building? No sprinklers?

I was wondering the same. Old news says the project started in 2006 but I’m not sure if it was built or renovated as it say it was a hotel under a different name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

How old is the building? No sprinklers?

It was completed in 2007 by Pierse contracting and a group of investors, its 15 floors in height.

The hotel was sold in 2014.

I don't know if the hotel has sprinklers but I would imagine it has a Fire Detection alarm system and evacuation system in place .

Used to be the Days 3 star hotel and it was a new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

kravmaga wrote: »
    It was completed in 2007 by Pierse contracting and a group of investors, its 15 floors in height.

I don't know if the hotel has sprinklers but I would imagine it has a Fire Detection alarm system and evacuation system in place .

I know for sure the apartments beside it have sprinklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Residential / hotel use and over 30m high, sprinklers would be mandatory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just passed it about 10 mins ago and it's very visibly on fire. Hope there's no injuries or fatalities.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The rubbish shoots were the way out if there had of been a big fire in the towers

IIRC they were only a small skuttle doors at best opening 10"s and I deffo remember there were no handles up the refuse shutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There's a chopper flying over there now that I'd guess one of the TV stations hired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I passed it earlier. There were a few windows open on the other side from what's pictured so plenty of oxygen supply getting to the fire.

Had no idea what was happening til got home

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Jeff2 wrote: »
    There's a chopper flying over there now that I'd guess one of the TV stations hired.

Garda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The planning ref. is 1052/03 but no documents seem to be uploaded other than the grant permission notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

kravmaga wrote: »

That's a whole other can of worms too

Fire spreading and everyone being evacuated by alarm

None of that should be happening ideally

sdanseo wrote: »
    The planning ref. is 1052/03 but no documents seem to be uploaded other than the grant permission notice.

Planning would be silent on fire cert - they’re maintained at Dublin City fire brigade in Townsend street. Be interested to see if there’s a reference to a sprinkler system in the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mark Henderson

Haha. This isn't America. It's the Gardai helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The rubbish shoots were the way out if there had of been a big fire in the towers

the way out for people?? are you mental?:eek:

What saved the flats many many times was that they were bare, thick concrete that made it difficult for a blaze to spread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Great_one

No they wouldn’t.

Ya day wood

Garda

No it didn't look like one of theirs.

Just looked at the photo gallery on the website.

I see fire detection systems in the rooms bot no sprinklers as far as I could see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Video just posted of what looks like a family still in a room 2-3 floors below. Would like to believe it's entirely empty

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Residential / hotel use and over 30m high, sprinklers would be mandatory

Can you post a link to that as I’ve been checking everywhere for that information

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No it didn't look like one of theirs.

Didn’t think anything else would be going up after dark? Or allowed

Haha. This isn't America. It's the Gardai helicopter.

Wait and see which station has footage from a chopper so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Grenfell now on Sky News (Youtube), hope nothing similar here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

TV3 can barely afford to put petrol in cars, and RTE aren't going to bother their arses crossing the liffey so who do you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They’re all finished for the night. The Irish ones anyway. Maybe sky.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Video just posted of what looks like a family still in a room 2-3 floors below. Would like to believe it's entirely empty

Seriously? Wonder if video is from hours ago when fire just started?

Can you post a link to that as I’ve been checking everywhere for that information

https://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services-(1)/Standardization-(1)/2017-Standards-Promotion/201712-NSAI-FSS-Seminar-CB.aspx

Slide no 10. Would also be in part B of the technical guidance documents (fire)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Seem to be getting it under control going by images on Twitter. Looks like firefighters inside.

Just looked at the photo gallery on the website.

I see fire detection systems in the rooms bot no sprinklers as far as I could see.

Most likely sprinklers on escape routes only. Bedrooms most likely to have one hour fire rated walls from room to room and room to corridor

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Few brazzers gone offline tonight.

Advertisement