Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Metro Hotel in Ballymun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I see fire detection systems in the rooms bot no sprinklers as far as I could see.

Sprinklers will likely be in corridors on escape routes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

TV3 can barely afford to put petrol in cars, and RTE aren't going to bother their arses crossing the liffey so who do you suggest?

Rte can pay what they like to send people anywhere at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

AGC wrote: »
    Didn’t think anything else would be going up after dark? Or allowed
    Coastguard is at airport, they could have provided relief (I think I may have heard them, not sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Rte can pay what they like to send people anywhere at your expense.

Not the north side though. Be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

'Around 150 guests were staying in the hotel at the time, and all have been accounted for, along with all those living in the hotel.

The hotel guests have been relocated to the nearby Carlton Hotel for the evening.'

according to RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There's a chopper flying over there now that I'd guess one of the TV stations hired.

Thats the Garda Helicopter dude, ive just reviewed the footage on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zesUB7Y69Y

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wait and see which station has footage from a chopper so.

So what past experience have you seen of an Irish TV station taking a helicopter into a live incident area?

BTW just as an aside Garda helicopter is in the area, that's the one being talked about.

But where on earth are you getting the example of Irish TV ever taking a chopper into the air over a live incident?

Not the north side though. Be crazy.

Well I guess flying in there in a chopper and hovering for a while would be safe enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

More gardai arriving in vans - presumably to deal with idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

More gardai arriving in vans - presumably to deal with idiots?

They'll be maintaining a cordon I presume

Garda won't be allowed in or close for safety reasons obviously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Looking at the Tweets it just shows how much the job can change in the blink of an eye lid, one second your entertaining the kids down the station, next your risking life and limb in an apartment complex fire.

Great respect for our Fire Fighters.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/976538360146726917

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/976560250869420032

Well I guess flying in there in a chopper and hovering for a while would be safe enough for them.

Any chance you can give an example of an Irish TV channel sticking a chopper above a live incident? (as per one of your previous posts).

All were evacuated on time and are staying in a different hotel. :)

TV3 reporting live there from the scene on the Tonight show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great to hear of no fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

TV3 reporting live there from the scene on the Tonight show.
    are they in a helicopter?

All were evacuated on time and are staying in a different hotel. :)

Were they airlifted by the TV chopper?

rafatoni wrote: »
    are they in a helicopter?

Doubt they'd be allowed they reported 3 in the air to assist the fire brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

humberklog wrote: »
    Were they airlifted by the TV chopper?

no The network tv choppers were busy following all the multiple police, sorry cop car chases down the highway m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

hoping the reports are true that no one is injured or killed and all safely evacuated. Hope the firefighters are able to extinguish it without injury. Local residents should keep windows closed and check on family/friends/neighbours with respiratory problems.

• Advertisement

OK I got a slagging but the chopper was heading there fast and didn't put the light on.

I was wrong.

Can't wait to see tomorrow on TV that I was right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just looking at the images, it would appear that the fire is on 2 separate floors, 3 floors apart? Seen in this image.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/fire-brigade-tackles-major-blaze-at-hotel-in-north-dublin-1.3435687

How would that happen, unless there are 2 separate fires?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Fire looks out from where I'm looking. Which is about 300 meters away.

Fingers crossed it doesn't flare up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oops69 wrote: »
    no The network tv choppers were busy following all the multiple police, sorry cop car chases down the highway m50.

Back to Ron Burgundy in the studio

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

NIMAN wrote:
    Just looking at the images, it would appear that the fire is on 2 separate floors, 3 floors apart? Seen in this image.

Article written by Sarah Burns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

NIMAN wrote: »

How would that happen, unless there are 2 separate fires?
    Two open windows/balcony doors , with curtains?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

humberklog wrote: »
    So what past experience have you seen of an Irish TV station taking a helicopter into a live incident area?

BTW just as an aside Garda helicopter is in the area, that's the one being talked about.

But where on earth are you getting the example of Irish TV ever taking a chopper into the air over a live incident?

They had choppers flying over floods a couple of years ago, live reporting going on there.

Some people may remember the Eye in the Sky chopper that flew over Dublin every evening in the 90's giving traffic reports. This wa before we were all connected via CCTV and mobile phones.

No TV station has one as we are a relatively peaceful city compared to many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I thought Twitter would have been interesting for an event like this.

Nope, full of gob****es taking a pop at the government about front line workers pay, construction and the housing crisis, including one MEP claiming the hotel is housing lots of homeless families despite there actually being none.

And when people then realise there's no homeless families that seems to be the end of it for them, not a thought for those who may actually be living in those apartments in the process of losing their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

By the way if we did have eye in the sky choppers they wouldn't be allowed next or near Ballymun by Airport ATC.

Advertisement