Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Metro Hotel in Ballymun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Yep sounds more reasonable.

Think the term family was used as it is mainly families that are placed in hotels as opposed to single people as the hotels are offered to those unable to stay in hostels- due to family composition/young children etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have a point though don't I?

Seems a lot agree too.

Point?

No, because no-one was implying any such thing that your "point" was being tethered to.

Therefore your point is rendered null/ void and becomes an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope no one injured or worse dead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just for clarification, people who get free accommodation in hotels are not homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

apparently it's not spreading too badly, so not in the same league as Grenfell thankfully.

Airport could close.

It shouldn't spread at all

Fire should be contained to the affected apartment ideally

Doesn't look like cladding fire unless I'm mistsken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope no one injured or worse dead

It has been evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People would argue over anything.

No they wouldn’t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

muckbrien wrote: »
    It shouldn't spread at all

Fire should be contained to the affected apartment ideally

Doesn't look like cladding fire unless I'm mistsken

Its a hotel, not a block of apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Not homeless, it's professional clientele that are living there.
    The 30 apartments located on the top 10 floors of the block have been consistently popular with a professional clientele and are producing an overall rental income of €384,000 from mainly short term tenancies.

Many of the tenants enjoy the benefits of having hotel facilities in the same block and the use of the 160-space car park.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/5-5m-for-hotel-and-apartments-1.1745998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Omackeral wrote: »
    No they wouldn’t

I posted the exact same thing...

Then deleted because of the circumstances.

It does look to be cladded though

I presume some checks were done after grenfell

Apartment fires shouldn't spread

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

DY10-wUXcAAnfK6.jpg

Jesus it looks bad.

Yes if that's the highest fire brigade appliance we have to tackle a blaze we shouldn't be building anything that height in this city, it's a disgrace especially after Grenfell, plenty of time to have purchased 1 for the entire city at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

AirBnB listing of a penthouse apartment.

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/22594514

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

muckbrien wrote: »
    It does look to be cladded though

I presume some checks were done after grenfell

Apartment fires shouldn't spread

They do if they have walls like cardboard

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Its a hotel, not a block of apartments.

Appreciate that

I was speaking in general terms apartments/hotel

Same principle applies

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

doylefe wrote: »
    Just for clarification, people who get free accommodation in hotels are not homeless.

What relevance does that have to the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Yes if that's the highest fire brigade appliance we have to tackle a blaze we shouldn't be building anything that height in this city, it's a disgrace especially after Grenfell, plenty of time to have purchased 1 for the entire city at a minimum.

You make a judgement on one single photograph????

Wiw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Early in the evening - 8pm when it started so hopefully not too many people were already asleep. All out OK one would think.

The immediate concern of at least two local cllrs for re-housing the homeless is well intentioned but a little priority towards getting everyone out safe and confirming that would be nice. Terrible politicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Towers as big as that were housing folk for 40ish years in Dublin. Mind you, they were very sturdy concrete blocks which mostly contained any fire to the one flat (pity the poor fecker in that flat though)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Seeing on twitter that it's after spreading over 6 floors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

As someone who got caught up in a hotel fire last year I can tell you it is no fun whatsoever. I was in a Hotel in England and went out for breakfast down the street as I considered the Hotel's food expensive. Anyway I heard sirens etc. but took no notice until I arrived back to the hotel and everyone was evacuated and firefighters on the 8th floor fighting a blaze.

I had a flight back to Dublin that afternoon and the firemen were very obliging to accompany me inside to grab my belongings as I was on a lower floor and out of dangers way as they had contained the fire to just that room. The cause of the fire? A certain Irish ethnic minority who decided to exact revenge on the hotel over a drinks bill in the bar with this arson attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hope all tenants are safe.

Sincerely hope the building was properly constructed and allowed people time to leave.

Sadly there has been no movement on inspecting anything by the government because they know full well the firetraps that exist out there and the crisis that would result from exposing it.

If you live in any kind of dwelling built in this country know that there was nobody inspecting or assuring it was safe except the people who directly profited from it.

Take it upon yourself to get your building checked, your life may depend on it.

How old is the building? No sprinklers?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You make a judgement on one single photograph????

Wiw

Yes until someone shows me the super duper taller appliance that we should own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

How old is the building? No sprinklers?

Id say 2006/07

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

doylefe wrote: »

Good to see we are focused on the real issues here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'd assume the building is fitted with a Dry Risers, so water shouldn't be an issue. Just committing Fire Fighters into quite a serious fire takes a bit more than a get in there approach.

Just to edit, I'd say the problem at the moment from a DFB perpesctive is the BA (breathing apparatus) sets, they wouldn't only have a certain amount of oxygen in them and that's up quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Towers as big as that were housing folk for 40ish years in Dublin. Mind you, they were very sturdy concrete blocks which mostly contained any fire to the one flat (pity the poor fecker in that flat though)

DFB's TL is 100ft / 30m

It is the highest ladder we have in the country.

That building is approx 70m tall - not criticising DFB at all. Much bigger cities have much bigger buildings and ladders cannot get anywhere near the top. Fire has to be fought in other ways using vertical risers to get water to the flames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_riser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The rubbish shoots were the way out if there had of been a big fire in the towers

Advertisement