Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New R&A Rules from 1/1/19

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Clarification has just been released on the Caddy lining up fiasco. Thankfully the distinction between backing away from a shot on a green versus backing away anywhere else has gone.

https://twitter.com/JasonSobelTAN/status/1093198858740551680

you know what, when we make changes in life, we don't always get it right first time around. the problem occurs when you get thick bull headed people who just refuse to accept anything other than their original line.

isn't it great that a flaw has been found and it has been addressed and fixed so quickly. this really plays well with the whole concept of making the rules more simplified for everyone. lets hope they continue to monitor and make any further necessary changes in just as quick a fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The clarification doesnt do much for me to be honest.
    OK, they removed the on the green distinction, but that only helps if you realise/feel you have made a violation.

I dont think in any of the cases we have seen the player or caddy was aware it was a violation, so they wouldnt have backed off and reset anyway.

Jim Furyk is loving it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »
    The clarification doesnt do much for me to be honest.
    OK, they removed the on the green distinction, but that only helps if you realise/feel you have made a violation.

I dont think in any of the cases we have seen the player or caddy was aware it was a violation, so they wouldnt have backed off and reset anyway.

Jim Furyk is loving it though!

Did they not make a change to now say deliberately?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Did they not make a change to now say deliberately?

AFAIK the deliberately was always there, and its specific to where the caddy stands and not their intention whilst standing there.

e.g. I can deliberately stand at a bus stop but I'm not intending to get on a bus.

They are still fudging it for me.

Golf is a game where you call penalties on yourself and you judge your own intent.

Why try to change that for this one rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

JB just knifed it into the bunker face and got a free drop for embedded ball. Was able to drop it outside the bunker though due to the angle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The embedded rule is, when a player’s ball is embedded in the general area and relief is allowed under Rule 16.3a, the player may take free relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (Rule 14.3):

The definition of the General Area is;

The area of the course that covers all of the course except for the other four defined areas:
    The teeing area the player must play from in starting the hole he or she is playing,
    All penalty areas,
    All bunkers,
    The putting green of the hole the player is playing.

The general area includes: All teeing locations on the course other than the teeing area, and All wrong greens.

My understanding is that the revetted face is not part of the bunker and is not part of any of the 4 areas listed above so it must be part of the General Area and as such free relief is allowed.

So if relief is allowed where is it to be taken ? before the embedded rule change it was a penalty drop so you could go back in line with the point of entry and flag or take two club lengths, which in most cases would not require dropping in the bunker. As this is now a non-penalty drop the options change to the Relief Area, which is defined as;

Reference Point: The spot right behind where the ball is embedded.
    Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:
    Must be in the general area, and
    Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point.

As the drop must be in the general area it can’t be dropped in the bunker. The issue I see is that if its only one club length and no nearer the hole there, in many cases will be no way of dropping within these rules. Case in hand is the 13th hole at where I play where the revetted face is 26 metres long.

So I received a response from the R&A regarding this issue. Surprised by the 2nd part of the response. He first mentions how if the reference point is not obtainable immediately behind the ball, then it would be the nearest point of relief. That would be fine on its own but then he goes on to say that if you can not obtain relief within one club length, then relief for the embedded ball is not permitted. Seems very unjust IMO.

Thank you for your email and query on the Rules of Golf.

In most of the cases, a player would always be able to find at least a mm of a spot immediately behind the ball (just like the situation when taking lateral relief near the putting green, where we say there is always a tiny spot not nearer to the hole). However, where there clearly is not, the reference point would be the nearest point, no nearer the hole where the player would have relief. This would likely be immediately next to the point where the ball was embedded.

If a player’s ball is embedded in the general area like above, but neither the reference point nor any part of the course within one club-length of the reference point is in the general area, the player is not allowed to take free relief under Rule 16.3b. For example, free relief is not allowed if a ball is embedded at the very base of the lip, wall or face above a bunker, and the spot right behind the ball is in the bunker and within one club-length of and not nearer the hole from that reference point, there is no part of the relief area that is in the general area.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is it not permissible then to drop and let the ball roll back into the bunker and play it as it lies, surely a better option?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Got this reply from the R&A today also:

Thank you for your email and query on the Rules of Golf.

If the placed ball does not stay at rest on that spot, the player must place a ball on that spot a second time. If the ball placed a second time also does not stay on that spot, the player must place a ball on the nearest spot where the ball will stay at rest, which must be in the general area not nearer the hole.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

HighLine wrote: »
    So I received a response from the R&A regarding this issue. Surprised by the 2nd part of the response. He first mentions how if the reference point is not obtainable immediately behind the ball, then it would be the nearest point of relief. That would be fine on its own but then he goes on to say that if you can not obtain relief within one club length, then relief for the embedded ball is not permitted. Seems very unjust IMO.

The scenario being described in the reply is slightly different to to the one we were discussing.

He’s describing no part of the relief area being in the general area however we were able to get relief in the general area (bunker face no nearer the hole) however the placed ball would not stay there.

From the replies it would seem the ball is placed at the nearest point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another caddie lining up penalty today. You would think the players and caddies would have learned what not to do after the two previous cases.

https://twitter.com/PGATOURComms/status/1101913462341582848

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Not sure if new rule or not but golf has gone mad

https://golfweek.com/2019/02/28/alex-cejka-disqualified-from-honda-classic/

What next wrong colour tee's

Advertisement