Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New R&A Rules from 1/1/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

re putting with flag in.

if you have it tended, does it have to be pulled?

or could you shout at the lad to leave it in as the ball is approaching if you think it will make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I took a drop today from knee height it felt so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Seve OB wrote: »
    re putting with flag in.

if you have it tended, does it have to be pulled?

or could you shout at the lad to leave it in as the ball is approaching if you think it will make a difference?

If it’s tended it has to be pulled

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...and you can’t change your mind and ask for it to be pulled once you’ve putted

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

HighLine wrote: »

That's 2 strokes not a double hit (impressed none the less)

Ah it wouldn't be allowed anyway because it wasn't accidental. Some skills though!

whilst I agree
    is it really 2 strokes?
    he doesn't follow through the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/edoardo-molinari-conducts-pretty-scientific-puttingflagstick-experiment-and-the-results-may-surprise-you

A relatively crude test but according to the results of this the optimal approach is:

Do whatever you want for slow putts
    Take the pin out for medium paced putts
    Leave the pin in for fast paced putts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/edoardo-molinari-conducts-pretty-scientific-puttingflagstick-experiment-and-the-results-may-surprise-you

A relatively crude test but according to the results of this the optimal approach is:

Do whatever you want for slow putts
    Take the pin out for medium paced putts
    Leave the pin in for fast paced putts

I've enjoyed playing with pin in - but feel this rule is going to be a joke. as some players will want it in and others will want it out.

The intention is to save time - but you will have lunatics inspired by the likes of Dechambollix insisting on it in when out.

It will be in out - in out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I've enjoyed playing with pin in - but feel this rule is going to be a joke. as some players will want it in and others will want it out.

The intention is to save time - but you will have lunatics inspired by the likes of Dechambollix insisting on it in when out.

It will be in out - in out etc.

Ya, I tend to agree with this. Some will want it in, some out, when the season kicks off.
    So far, the guys I play with have carried on as before, ie tending, taking it out etc. I think it hasn’t dawned on any of us to actually intentionally leave the flag in tbh.

Played twice, different courses and different lads.
    Was grand. Left in for downhill quickies and long putts otherwise tended or pulled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For casual rounds I’ve always left it in to save time so just gonna leave it in, if it’s a short putt scenario and playing partner wants it out for their putt then I’ll leave it out too, not bothered on short putts...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »
    Played twice, different courses and different lads.
    Was grand. Left in for downhill quickies and long putts otherwise tended or pulled.
    Same with me and having played a lot in this mild spell that is what the majority of people seem to be doing, dropping from your knee though is just so wrong and feels weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Played a few times since the new year. Most lads leave it in for the longer or fast putts and out when close but I played with a few older lads this week who wanted it in for nearly every putt. It was a nightmare, flag was in and out several times during each hole. It was slower than before to finish out and IMO they'll need to refine the rule somehow to stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Played a few times since the new year. Most lads leave it in for the longer or fast putts and out when close but I played with a few older lads this week who wanted it in for nearly every putt. It was a nightmare, flag was in and out several times during each hole. It was slower than before to finish out and IMO they'll need to refine the rule somehow to stop this.

That sounds like a disaster. Played a 4 ball comp today and it was only left in for long putts or where someone had pitch/chipped it within gimme range and just tapped in first. Once it was out it didn't go back in. Don't think the rule was intended to aid a slippery downhill putt.

in fairness it doesn't matter if the rules were introduced to aid or hinder you.
    they are just the rules.
    use them to your advantage when you can.
    sure look at the lads on the tele, they have been at that for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I was out today and it was all.. "do you want the flag in or out".. "ill have it in".. "no take it out for me".. "put it back in for this one its a downhiller" etc. I don't think its going to work. And i noticed more damage to the holes out there today. Perhaps from people putting the pin out and in more often.

I think it needs clarification. The USGA and R&A should state this rule is to speed up play only. E.g It is to be used when a player is the first on the green and doesn't want to have to wait for someone to go tend the pin before he putts. It should not be for someone to use as an advantage to help his putts drop.

backspin. wrote: »
    I was out today and it was all.. "do you want the flag in or out".. "ill have it in".. "no take it out for me".. "put it back in for this one its a downhiller" etc. I don't think its going to work. And i noticed more damage to the holes out there today. Perhaps from people putting the pin out and in more often.

I think it needs clarification. The USGA and R&A should state this rule is to speed up play only. E.g It is to be used when a player is the first on the green and doesn't want to have to wait for someone to go tend the pin before he putts. It should not be for someone to use as an advantage to help his putts drop.

As I said earlier .

Watch this space.

Whilst it is well intended , it won't work.

Golfers are strange creatures , put 4 in a group with options it is chaos.

This is one with unintended consequences.

I think pin in for me is a big advantage, I'll admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Played yesterday for the first time with the new rules but all 4 of us regularly play together. Was grand it was left in for long ones and then taken out for the rest. A quick word to make sure the person furthest away wanted it out and that was it.

I don't think I could replace the pin for a putt after it have been removed, I know it is within the rules but just think it is wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Found a few lads having issues with dropping over the weekend too:

me: "No, don't drop it from that height, it needs to be knee height"
    golfer: "What?"
    me: "Knee height"
    golfer: "Here?"
    me: "No, knee height"
    golfer: "Here?"
    me: "No, lower - by your knee - you know, knee height"
    golfer: "really?"

That happened twice

Also once where one guy dropped from shoulder height and played on without considering that he had incurred a penalty.

It's going to take a long time .

I'd imagine over 1/2 of golfers don't read anything about golf .

Then a serious amount of golfers don't even think about golf till April /may.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

As I said earlier .

Watch this space.

Played at the weekend and after about six holes, we decided that the best approach was all of us saying which way we wanted as default and to speak up if we wanted to change that for a particular putt. So we all opted for flag out as the default and just the odd few times, players asked for it to be left in.

No problem and a lot quicker than asking every time. So my advice is to settle this on the first tee and work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Played at the weekend and after about six holes, we decided that the best approach was all of us saying which way we wanted as default and to speak up if we wanted to change that for a particular putt. So we all opted for flag out as the default and just the odd few times, players asked for it to be left in.

No problem and a lot quicker than asking every time. So my advice is to settle this on the first tee and work away.

We did something similar. We agreed that whoever wanted it left in was to putt first so once it was out it didn't go back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We did something similar. We agreed that whoever wanted it left in was to putt first so once it was out it didn't go back in.
    Good idea. Will keep that in mind for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played last week and like most it was pretty smooth.

Sometimes it was left in but most times t was taken out.

Dropping was fine for the few that was had. I had a ball plugged about half a foot from the water hazard while still in bounds. If I had to drop from shoulder height it would have had to place it after some unsuccessful drops and likely fish it out of the water.

As I said earlier .

Watch this space.

Yes was thinking this is what will happen.

No a massive deal but you will have an odd clown , but already have them with lads taking over 2 minutes for putts , 360 walks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,035 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Good idea!

We just let everyone who wanted it left in to go first.
    Most wanted it in for anything outside 15ft and out otherwise so it was ok.
    Though we are also playing ready golf which doesnt work if some are innies and some are outies.

It removes the whole " you're further away but I'm off the green so I'll go first" thing, not that that was necessarily slow.

Overall we have found it about 10 mins faster in a fourbsll, under 3:20 now on a Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Played three rounds where we havent taken the flag out. Its great to leave it in there, definitely quicker and kind of different.

What are others doing?

Advertisement