Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Day 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

With the ground conditions the way they are, it's going to be difficult to work out what the ground will be like on any given day, so we'll have to stay tuned to get the jockey's opinions of it. In relation to Champion Hurdle, my hope is that Faugheen can improve from his last race in Leopardstown and give the hot fav a right good run for his money. I think 6/1 about him is too big and when on song is very classy. Just hoping that his recent poorer efforts are behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This time tomorrow I'll be sitting down to my first pint of Guinness.

Still hoping the whole meeting is postponed for a few weeks weeks though. Its very unfair on those good ground horses and particularly on the people that backed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

As a footpad backer, a heavy footpad backer, i would have concerns re the hill in those conditions tomorrow.
    No worries for getabird in conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

With monalee now 6/1 for rsa and 3/1 for JLT with betfair, I’ve done my first accum:

Footpad, loved the way he jumped last time out and while I do fear petit mouchoir, I’m going with the fav as he has less to prove 6/4

Presenting Percy been a fan for him couple of seasons and I think he’s the best in race and easy ground will ensure this is an even tougher slog than usual 5/2 will shorten if monalee diverts

Monalee JLT if he doesn’t go RSA 3/1 Coming in off the back of. Grade 1 win against very good novices in Irish Arkle

Apples Shakira triump mentioned her here during November meeting have been very impressed with her all season 11/4

All above have course form which is a big plus. Accum comes out about 115/1 depending which firm you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Slattsy wrote: »

Still hoping the whole meeting is postponed for a few weeks weeks though. Its very unfair on those good ground horses and particularly on the people that backed them.

It's part and parcel of the game that unexpected conditions will have to be endured as long as it's not life threatening to the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Regarding the once a year racing fans, i don't mind them in general but what does annoy me is the few that will tell me some odds on shot is a cert and can't be beat and that i should lump on , i'll proceed to tell them about the 16/1 shot i've had an e/w play on as the race will be run to suit or conditions are in favour etc. and the place would pay better than the odds on shot winning, they'll then make a point of finding me to let me know "they knew" when the odds on shot wins all the while ignoring the great race the 16/1 shot ran to get 3rd :rolleyes:

Seems a lot of punters not just once a year punters seem to love the feeling of a winner no matter what price and can't get their head around people backing big prices, i have to have a giggle when a whatsapp group or facebook post goes on a rant about a fav getting turned over fix, corrupt jockey etc. yet on form the horse mightn't have deserved to be favourite and when you query why they felt the horse should be favourite or win they'll respond with something like " well it was favourite, should've run better than that" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Be mad not to run both Douvan and Un de Sceaux in the Champion Chase imo. If WPM wants to win the race, he won't get a better opportunity. They are both far better on soft/heavy and it's a negative for Altior.

Be mad not to run both Douvan and Un de Sceaux in the Champion Chase imo. If WPM wants to win the race, he won't get a better opportunity. They are both far better on soft/heavy and it's a negative for Altior.

Forget douvan wb. After RR on ATR last night u can put a line thru douvan winning anything. NR i bet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hoping you're on a WUM :D

But it would be even more unfair on those who've forked out on the trip, taken time off work, etc... solely because it doesn't suit some horses.

Forget douvan wb. After RR on ATR last night u can put a line thru douvan winning anything. NR i bet

When the horse was at his best I thought he was near unbeatable on soft. Look back at him as a novice at Leopardstown and Aintree. I wouldn't place too much stock on what his owner says tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Ffs. What are they playing at.

Douvan in CC confirmed ......hahagahahaha
    Its actually funny !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lads there's a thread for each day set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Now will people realise Ricci pays the bills and that's it :D

Don't go betting overbet slow heavy ground yokes. Just bet the good horses that have been running and winning on heavy during the winter. Particularly the Irish horses. Monalee, Samcro etc have all won on soft to heavy this year. The best horses will still win the Grade 1s for the most part. People are overeacting. It's not Haydock. They are running on fresh ground and the course dries out well. It's the usual NH ground we'd get in Ireland and it doesn't stop the best horses winning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

gazza1 wrote: »
    First real bet for Cheltenham

Mr WHITAKER 14/1 EW Close bros

Won at the track lto with going soft heavy in places so going won't be an issue and gets in here off bottom weight.
    5 of the last 9 winners won lto.
    12 of the last 13 had run in the last 45 days
    Trainers only runner at the festival

Paul Kealy hyping this one up at the preview nights he's done it seems.
    Have this backed AP for the Plate at 20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

gazza1 wrote: »
    First real bet for Cheltenham

Mr WHITAKER 14/1 EW Close bros

Won at the track lto with going soft heavy in places so going won't be an issue and gets in here off bottom weight.
    5 of the last 9 winners won lto.
    12 of the last 13 had run in the last 45 days
    Trainers only runner at the festival

Paul Kealy hyping this one up at the preview nights he's done it seems.
    Have this backed AP for the Plate at 20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Rathvinden 4 Miler. Easy game, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Afraid I'm one of the once a year folk but I do love Cheltenham. This thread has done me well the last few years so will be keeping an eye on it.

Some very knowledgeable people here so it really helps. Mr whitaker and vintage clouds are the two I'm going for so far.

Looking at debuchet e/w in the first race tomorrow, anyone think he's worth a punt? Looks like decent form and looked back on his races and seems to finish pretty strong if in contention

• Advertisement

Rathvinden in 4 miler too. Cant see Jury Duty getting the trip after the way Moulin a Vent caught it lto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jamesbere wrote: »
    Looking at debuchet e/w in the first race tomorrow, anyone think he's worth a punt? Looks like decent form and looked back on his races and seems to finish pretty strong if in contention

Me too. 50/1 in places looks ridiculous given his run here in the bumper last year.

Rathvinden in 4 miler too. Cant see Jury Duty getting the trip after the way Moulin a Vent caught it lto

Completely agree with this. Liked him until I watched a replay of that race. Doesn't inspire confidence for a 4m race. I'm going with Mossback there.

ALTIOR INJURED!!!! Fuuuuuuucccckkkkkk

Sorry sorry wrong day sorry lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Right first time posting in here not a once a year punter two at a price for me tomorrow are Vic De Touzaine in the Ultima @25s came cruising into the race 4 out last year got outpaced as ground was too quick and ended up unseating won on reappearance this year pulled up 3 times since but the heavy going plays right into his hands and id be hopeful of a big run.

The 2nd one is any second now in the close brothers has sustained form tied in with some of the best horses we are sending over and ted is a shrewd operator 6/1 now could be alot shorter tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Hoping you're on a WUM :D

But it would be even more unfair on those who've forked out on the trip, taken time off work, etc... solely because it doesn't suit some horses.

Is this an example of double irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Don't go betting overbet slow heavy ground yokes. Just bet the good horses that have been running and winning on heavy during the winter. Particularly the Irish horses. Monalee, Samcro etc have all won on soft to heavy this year. The best horses will still win the Grade 1s for the most part. People are overeacting. It's not Haydock. They are running on fresh ground and the course dries out well. It's the usual NH ground we'd get in Ireland and it doesn't stop the best horses winning here.

That drainage system is serious stuff. I remember Alistair Down standing beside the outflow one year. Think of the sluice gates being opened at a Hydro Dam to give you some idea of what was drained off the course proper.
    Compare it to the Cross country course (that isn't drained )- some years that has been very heavy when the course was a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

You’re hoping the Festival will be postponed so that good ground horses can run their races? There’s so much wrong with that it’s not even funny.

And thinking that it’s “unfair” that we’ve had buckets of rain is a mental comment.

What this means is that the Mullins and Gordon brigade who back all their horses blindly are in danger of getting cleaned out this week. Year after year people who wouldn’t watch racing for 360 days of the year make a bucket load of cash without so much as looking past a horse that isn’t trained by Willie or Gordon. When results go against them then all we hear is:

“sure it’s all rigged anyway”

“Ruby Walsh works for Paddy Power, he never wanted to win that Grade 1 with £150,000 prize money”

“Elliott is a crook, Cause of Causes is a terrible horse”

Or my favourite ever comment, heard in Paddy Power in Cork city centre when Silver Concorde won the bumper:

“Shaneshill is a speed horse, I wonder what price he’ll be for the Derby in June?”

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Motivator wrote: »
    You’re hoping the Festival will be postponed so that good ground horses can run their races? There’s so much wrong with that it’s not even funny.

And thinking that it’s “unfair” that we’ve had buckets of rain is a mental comment.

What this means is that the Mullins and Gordon brigade who back all their horses blindly are in danger of getting cleaned out this week. Year after year people who wouldn’t watch racing for 360 days of the year make a bucket load of cash without so much as looking past a horse that isn’t trained by Willie or Gordon. When results go against them then all we hear is:

“sure it’s all rigged anyway”

“Ruby Walsh works for Paddy Power, he never wanted to win that Grade 1 with £150,000 prize money”

“Elliott is a crook, Cause of Causes is a terrible horse”

Or my favourite ever comment, heard in Paddy Power in Cork city centre when Silver Concorde won the bumper:

“Shaneshill is a speed horse, I wonder what price he’ll be for the Derby in June?”

He was joking. An idiot could see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Earendil wrote: »
    He was joking. An idiot could see that.

He genuinely wasn’t joking. I had been listening to him and his mate for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before the race jumped and some of the stuff they were coming out with was incredible. Think: bookies pen behind the ear, €2 matched bet from the Irish Mirror, “go on McCoy you beauty” type punters.

Advertisement