Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Day 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

aidankkk wrote: »
    That price on OddsCheck is wrong bet365 are only 2/1

Got 6/1 without in the last 7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Motivator wrote: »
    Irish horses have a shocking record in it, no winner since 2006. Very surprising there’s no Irish horse in it though - surely a first in all the years I’ve been watching the Festival.

Anyone know the last race at the Festival where there were no Irish trained runners?

I'd imagine one of the handicaps. Maybe the novice handicap or the grand annual?
    Over 5 years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭piplip87

Going for a few small bets myself. I rarely put anything more than a tenner on a horse. Love my racing though.

Supreme- Have back Getabird at 16s ante post before Christmas. Liked his win in a bumper last year. Followed up with two good wins and great improvement between them.
    May also have an EW play on Mengli Kahn.

Utima- Will go with EW Yala Enkai. The win on heavy the last day beating Blacklion was impressive. May also have a win on Coo Star Sivola.

Champion Hurdle. Wicklow Brave gets around not many horses has being ridden by the best jumps Jockey and Frankie, Ryan Moore, Crowley atzeni and Buick, Will back EW with win on Faugheen.

In the 4.50 Torn between Mossback and Jury Duty. Both have won on Soft to Heavy. May back both depending on how the previous ones do.

In the last race of the day will go for livelovelaugh. 14/1 final race of the day Ruby, Willie and Richie has won on soft to heavy too.

Will do a euro lucky 15 with two favs and two outsiders because you never know may get lucky.

piplip87 wrote: »
    In the last race of the day will go for livelovelaugh. 14/1 final race of the day Ruby, Willie and Richie has won on soft to heavy too.

FYI that race is for amateur riders I think Katie is riding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there any way to keep the one week a yr fools out Of these threads for the week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Paul Nicholls only has two runners on the first day.
    Nothing in the supreme , arkle or champion .

Strange to see

naughto wrote: »
    Is there any way to keep the one week a yr fools out Of these threads for the week

Should be soccer forum style access

How fresh will ruby after his lengthy lay off a bad fall in the first two or three and he could be ****1 for the week

I will take the ride if they stuck. All 14 stone of me!

What about the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Paul Nicholls only has two runners on the first day.
    Nothing in the supreme , arkle or champion .

Strange to see

I’d say it’s his smallest Festival team for about 15 years. Relying on the Foxhunters, where he’ll run 3 or 4 horses, to bag a winner at the Festival is some drop off for him. I haven’t looked through his runners properly yet but you can be sure something will pop up in a handicap at a price. He mightn’t have the Master Minded’s, Kauto’s or Denman’s anymore but he’s still a brilliant trainer and is well capable of readying one at a price in a handicap.

I just checked his form, Nicholls is on fire at the minute. I’m going to spend the day tomorrow looking through his handicap horses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

I can’t stand that clowns that come out during cheltenham week with their €1.50 on a 8/13 shot, especially the students and young lads

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Why don't you set up a private forum if you don't want casual small stake punters stinking up 'your' threads.

Some of us just like the craic of Cheltenham week, and read the threads to see what the knowledgeable folk have to say.

I have no prob with people reading giving there input but you can see it a mile off who haven’t a bog what there talking and then the after timers and the number 4 in the next race craic.
    A lot of good info get lost in the sh1te talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Paul Nicholls will have a winner this week NAP.

Been studying for Cheltenham today and I've nearly come to the conclusion that if you back Mullins and Elliott blind this week you will make money. And Henderson will win the rest.

Motivator wrote: »
    I’d say it’s his smallest Festival team for about 15 years. Relying on the Foxhunters, where he’ll run 3 or 4 horses, to bag a winner at the Festival is some drop off for him. I haven’t looked through his runners properly yet but you can be sure something will pop up in a handicap at a price. He mightn’t have the Master Minded’s, Kauto’s or Denman’s anymore but he’s still a brilliant trainer and is well capable of readying one at a price in a handicap.

I just checked his form, Nicholls is on fire at the minute. I’m going to spend the day tomorrow looking through his handicap horses.

How many has young O’Brien have this week does any one no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Of his the one i am interested in is Ivanovic Gorbatov. Won a triumph 2 years back but like last year the arse fell out of that novice form since. Bit of talk for him in the last week or two though.

Cant see Efwulf doing it again.....?

Dont se LOHG enteted in anything? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    I can’t stand that clowns that come out during cheltenham week with their €1.50 on a 8/13 shot, especially the students and young lads

Wow this is a some next level post. So if I have it right - you have to bet big, not be a "young lad or student", and have been backing racing all year. Otherwise you're a clown and f*ck off.

Get a hold of yourself.

they ruin the forum. best racing week, worst week on forum for constructive discourse. the blow ins ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

they ruin the forum. best racing week, worst week on forum for constructive discourse. the blow ins ruin it.

Mate I remember last year in the pub there was 1 or 2 young lads crying because they had 2 Euro on some Evens shot and it lost.

They really do ruin the week sometimes ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Better off doing the pot for small money than short price splonks, ignore all the judges and pick your own, everyone is entitled to punt what they want, the only people who should not be in betting shops are junkies using the coffee machine, and mentally ill people, Presume the ground will be heavy, will be a real slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

The stable is coming in cold. Be wary of trainers who aren’t firing at the moment. I’m not one for backing Willie’s hotpots at the Festival but he had five winners yesterday, Elliott is banging them in usual as well but Joseph’s horses aren’t firing, he has a big string heading across though I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

You have 25 posts in the racing forum and you're complaining about blow ins.
    Mate I remember last year in the pub there was 1 or 2 young lads crying because they had 2 Euro on some Evens shot and it lost.

They really do ruin the week sometimes ffs

You have 41 posts in the racing forum. They were not crying and if that ruined your cheltenham week then you're an oddly bitter man.

I get what people are saying about people coming in after timing etc. But this is just gold by the two lads above. If someone comes in and posts up that they have 2 euro on Buveur Dair/Footpad/Samcro/Apples accumulator then more power to them. Who are you to say otherwise. High stakes only here apparently ^^

FatRat wrote: »
    You have 25 posts in the racing forum and you're complaining about blow ins.

You have 41 posts in the racing forum. They were not crying and if that ruined your cheltenham week then you're an oddly bitter man.

I get what people are saying about people coming in after timing etc. But this is just gold by the two lads above. If someone comes in and posts up that they have 2 euro on Buveur Dair/Footpad/Samcro/Apples accumulator then more power to them. Who are you to say otherwise. High stakes only here apparently ^^

are you suggesting we are a muggy double?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭piplip87

kiers47 wrote: »
    FYI that race is for amateur riders I think Katie is riding him.

No that's the race before it. The last race of the day is the 5.30.

https://www.irishracing.com/card?race=Cheltenham_Tue_13th_Mar_2018_5_30&prc=009&prd=201803131730

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gazza1 wrote: »
    First real bet for Cheltenham

Mr WHITAKER 14/1 EW Close bros

Won at the track lto with going soft heavy in places so going won't be an issue and gets in here off bottom weight.
    5 of the last 9 winners won lto.
    12 of the last 13 had run in the last 45 days
    Trainers only runner at the festival

Paul Kealy hyping this one up at the preview nights he's done it seems.

piplip87 wrote: »
    No that's the race before it. The last race of the day is the 5.30.

https://www.irishracing.com/card?race=Cheltenham_Tue_13th_Mar_2018_5_30&prc=009&prd=201803131730

Apologies for some reason I read your post as pyleonthepressure..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Some very distasteful comments here with those on their high horse. Some seem to think theyre big men with their €20 wins.

As Harry Findlay says, we're all gamblers and feeling the same whether we have €5 or €5k on. People are on here because they are excited and have a gra for Cheltenham. It's a special time of year and participation should be encouraged.

The only time I ever post on boards is on this forum. I never even look at the thing because for the most part it's dead and only happened to browse yesterday. This is an opportunity to get those involved. It's the worst thing of racing where people have this snobbery to those outside the industry.

Especially when it's the internet, already has forum guidelines and then can also quite easily be ignored. They are not shouting in your face down the pub. You don't get this bitterness to bandwagoners when the rugby or soccer world cup is on.

Best luck to all punters and connections this year, whatever your stake. Hoping for a safe Cheltenham and for no one to lose the run of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

The CB is highly competitive this year. Could make a case for almost all. Sustained support for Whittaker but I think the horse that most people appear to be missing is Tycoon Prince, on a line though Montalbano, there's not much between him and De Plotting Shed. In fact, he might be better off. I'll be having a cut.

Re Supreme, I generally avoid the hotpots as I've been really badly toasted, but I can't be having horses that are coming in with recent defeats and excuses. Someone might know stats off top of their had, but horse surely must come in with a few recent 11's to their name? Even Labaik had great form when he decided to race. Very unoriginal, but I think Getabird could actually be the winner. Price is silly for sure - 5/2-3/1 would be fair.

I'm having my biggest bet of the week that this thread that cannot get past 20 posts without a pointless fight erupting :-)

Good luck to all.

I don't post on here to often anymore. But I can kind of see both sides of this.
    The **** that annoys people is people just throwing up a name and a price. I am not interested in a free tipping service and for the most part I couldn't give a fiddler's who anyone has bet. It's nice to have a reasoned conversation about the races and the horses or if people at least throw in a sentence or 2 about why they are betting something it can also add to the discussion.

Other gems include people telling about the great price they got months ago and also people after timing.
    This is the **** the winds people up. People browsing in at Cheltenham time to join in the conversation is fine if they are actually going to put forward some input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Clerk of the course will be telling everyone that it's soft( good to soft in places) tomorrow, when in fact it's bottomless and has no chance of being better than soft for the week.

Advertisement