Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Day 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Motivator wrote: »
    He genuinely wasn’t joking. I had been listening to him and his mate for a good fifteen or twenty minutes before the race jumped and some of the stuff they were coming out with was incredible. Think: bookies pen behind the ear, €2 matched bet from the Irish Mirror, “go on McCoy you beauty” type punters.

I don't know anyone off here in outside of boards but Slattsy comes across as a good egg. On another thread he had made the same statement or along the lines of "Cheltenham should be put back a few weeks so the good ground horses I backed have a better chance!" smiley face.
    This was the same sort of thing he just forgot the smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Damn, that's twice Slattsy pulled me in so. Colour me an idiot in that case.....the bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

I would agree that backing Mullins blindly is obviously muggy but how could you think his horses aren't helped by the ground this year? Getabird, Footpad, Faugheen, Next Destination, Al Boum Photo, Douvan, Min, Blackbow, Invitation Only, Un de Sceaux, Laurina, Killultagh Vic... nearly every one of his horses will be better off because of the ground??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Few in the net there Slattsy :pac:

Motivator wrote: »
    You’re hoping the Festival will be postponed so that good ground horses can run their races? There’s so much wrong with that it’s not even funny.

And thinking that it’s “unfair” that we’ve had buckets of rain is a mental comment.

What this means is that the Mullins and Gordon brigade who back all their horses blindly are in danger of getting cleaned out this week. Year after year people who wouldn’t watch racing for 360 days of the year make a bucket load of cash without so much as looking past a horse that isn’t trained by Willie or Gordon. When results go against them then all we hear is:

“sure it’s all rigged anyway”

“Ruby Walsh works for Paddy Power, he never wanted to win that Grade 1 with £150,000 prize money”

“Elliott is a crook, Cause of Causes is a terrible horse”

Or my favourite ever comment, heard in Paddy Power in Cork city centre when Silver Concorde won the bumper:

“Shaneshill is a speed horse, I wonder what price he’ll be for the Derby in June?”

And yes, most people with a passing interest in Cheltenham will just back Ruby/Mullins blindly. Most people don't really give a sh*t about horse racing. Just because you know some yoke in the bumper can't run in the Derby doesn't make you any superior to anyone else. Don't forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you're picks are as good as you're fishing we're in for a treat this week :D

You got me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Is there any specials out there for Day One for Getabird , Footpad, Beuveur D'Air, Apples Jade
    Considering an acum, but if any enhanced offerings to bundle these in would be a bonus. Currently tracking around 13/1

Aside from these;
    Claimantakingforgan / Paloma Blue - 14s/12s back in Boyles with MB if 2nd/3rd to fav
    Singlefarmpayment - 6s win
    Rathvinden / Jury Duty - both 6s and MB with Boyles if 2nd/3rd to fav
    Mr.Whitaker - 10s e/w
    Wicklow Brave - 14s e/w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Is there any specials out there for Day One for Getabird , Footpad, Beuveur D'Air, Apples Jade
    Considering an acum, but if any enhanced offerings to bundle these in would be a bonus. Currently tracking around 13/1

Aside from these;
    Claimantakingforgan / Paloma Blue - 14s/12s back in Boyles with MB if 2nd/3rd to fav
    Mr.Whitaker - 10s e/w
    Wicklow Brave - 14s e/w

Is that money back as a free bet or just money back mate ? If so what’s max stake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I would agree that backing Mullins blindly is obviously muggy but how could you think his horses aren't helped by the ground this year? Getabird, Footpad, Faugheen, Next Destination, Al Boum Photo, Douvan, Min, Blackbow, Invitation Only, Un de Sceaux, Laurina, Killultagh Vic... nearly every one of his horses will be better off because of the ground??

Sometimes I think you're Mullins himself :pac: Your confidence in his horses is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Chesty08 wrote: »

Aside from these;
    Mr.Whitaker - 10s e/w
    Wicklow Brave - 14s e/w

Is that money back as a free bet or just money back mate ? If so what’s max stake ?
    Money back as a free bet. Max stake £20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Sustained gamble on Vintage Clouds, down to 9/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Any horse that wins at the festival seems to be a machine - this annoys me

FatRat wrote: »
    Sometimes I think you're Mullins himself :pac: Your confidence in his horses is unbelievable.

You'll see this week when his horses are flying through the mud and don't stop galloping. At least my wallet hopes so anyway. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I think Wakanda might enjoy the slog tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ah jaysis lads!

Roll eye emoji.

The Mig wrote: »
    Few in the net there Slattsy :pac:

So it seems. Had the head down in work all day to get everything sorted for the week ahead and didn't get a chance to check in! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I think Wakanda might enjoy the slog tomorrow.

Second this also, should definitely stay anyway going on last couple of races esp with shantou flyer pulling up in the race at Christmas.

Cant have singlefarmpayment as it seems to always be well backed but never wins(famous last words)

If you're picks are as good as you're fishing we're in for a treat this week :D

You got me anyway!

You should know better for a start.

Mon Bohs!

Bet365 by far and away the best bookie around. Offering 10 free bet on the feature race of every day when you stake 10 on another race that day. Existing customers too if you can get it. But best of all, they have shortened the odds of all horse slightly but if you take the shorter odds you get 5 places at 1/4 odds. 4 places 1/4 at regular odds. Some places still 1/5 odds 3 places.

Edit: that 5 places 1/4 is for the supreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Bet365 by far and away the best bookie around. Offering 10 free bet on the feature race of every day when you stake 10 on another race that day. Existing customers too if you can get it. But best of all, they have shortened the odds of all horse slightly but if you take the shorter odds you get 5 places at 1/4 odds. 4 places 1/4 at regular odds. Some places still 1/5 odds 3 places.

Edit: that 5 places 1/4 is for the supreme.

A tenner free bet on the feature races that mostly have 4-6 to 1-2ish favs is crap imo and i don't see how exchanging shorter odds in exchange for a place and a point is much good either, rather take SP in that case for an e/w horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

A tenner free bet on the feature races that mostly have 4-6 to 1-2ish favs is crap imo and i don't see how exchanging shorter odds in exchange for a place and a point is much good either, rather take SP in that case for an e/w horse.

I'd happily take the extra place at 1/4 odds. Most books only offer a 1/5 on the extra place terms which I'm not really interested in. If I'm still getting a price that matches with what I'll be looking for if only a 1/2 point or full point shorter.
    Some filthy each way doubles will be the order of the day.

I've a newly acquired bet365 account that I could make **** of. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Think my best priced bet of the day could be No Comment. Cobwebs blown off, experience over a fence now, massive drop in class he has the talent. I think he will be backed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

After all the excitement in the weeks leading up i'm rather disinterested now(in relevant terms) can see all kinds of funny results happening over the week and the form not being worth much at all :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

After all the excitement in the weeks leading up i'm rather disinterested now(in relevant terms) can see all kinds of funny results happening over the week and the form not being worth much at all :confused:
    Feel similar. Reckon it could be a punting graveyard.

Ah don't be like that! It's Leopardstown heavy, not Limerick heavy. We'll be all right.

Well you obviously don't know value when you see it. How is 40 in free bets for every customer "crap" when you'll be having at least 10 a day on anyway to qualify. You'd do well to see how bet365 are 1/4 nearly every race as opposed to 1/5 everywhere else and have been ever since the antepost markets were formed. And if all you can see in the champion race markets is the short priced favourites, you're doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Ah don't be like that! It's Leopardstown heavy, not Limerick heavy. We'll be all right.

Having seen a few pictures of the track i hope they've taken scuba diving equipment with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Well you obviously don't know value when you see it. How is 40 in free bets for every customer "crap" when you'll be having at least 10 a day on anyway to qualify. You'd do well to see how bet365 are 1/4 nearly every race as opposed to 1/5 everywhere else and have been ever since the antepost markets were formed. And if all you can see in the champion race markets is the short priced favourites, you're doing something wrong.

Spot on. Bet365 don’t have to give anybody fcuk all, especially the mugs who think that they know everything about racing. And I just love seeing these very same mugs get roasted at Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Have that strange feeling myself, it's like something of an anti climax this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’ll get to see very little of tomorrow with work so I’ll just be doing a small ew lucky 15:
    1:30- Summerville Boy
    2:50- Vintage Clouds
    3:30- Wicklow Brave
    5:30- De Plotting shed

I may back them as singles as well. Can’t resist backing Faugheen in the hope of seeing a vintage performance

Advertisement