Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF PAYG "Data User Plan" 15Gb/unlimited calls/texts €20/28 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

i was looking at my top up offer on the app, im 21 days into my first 28. it saays free txts to any network and 15gb of data. but it dose not mention anything about free calls. i know when i signed up they gave me 200 mins. i assume there is some free calls per month as standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Surfn wrote: »
    i was looking at my top up offer on the app, im 21 days into my first 28. it saays free txts to any network and 15gb of data. but it dose not mention anything about free calls. i know when i signed up they gave me 200 mins. i assume there is some free calls per month as standard?

Nope the offer is for 15gb and unlimited texts.
    You keep the €20 credit and can either use €5 for 100 minutes or €15 of the €20 on unlimited calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

honda boi wrote: »
    Nope the offer is for 15gb and unlimited texts.
    You keep the €20 credit and can either use €5 for 100 minutes or €15 of the €20 on unlimited calls.

ok m8, thanks for making that clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Surfn wrote: »

You need to buy the unlimited calls addon for €15 of your credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Hey folks.
    After a few months of good service, vodafone took my credit 24.89 euro for data useage an hour after my top up.

Rep on chat says it was due to tethering which I have been doing since last October, so don't think this makes sense.

Waiting to get more info from talk to us rep on boards. Hoping to get it resolved with a refund, hoping it's not a slippery slope downward from what is a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Problem is even after deleteing the hs.vodafone.com apn it can reappear at any moment and if you use it you are charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hey folks.
    After a few months of good service, vodafone took my credit 24.89 euro for data useage an hour after my top up.

Rep on chat says it was due to tethering which I have been doing since last October, so don't think this makes sense.

Waiting to get more info from talk to us rep on boards. Hoping to get it resolved with a refund, hoping it's not a slippery slope downward from what is a good service.

Do you know what APN was used for tethering? My understanding is that if it was the Live APN then all should be okay but if it was one of the other APNs e.g. HS then you will be charged. I’m open to correction on this though.

The APN can be checked on some handsets but is hidden on others e.g. iPhone.

Please let us know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭KildareP

Hey folks.

Data is only covered on the live.vodafone.com APN.
    Every other APN is €0.19 per MB and that adds up for you - 131 x €0.19 = €24.89.

If you're on Android you should be able to delete any APN other than live.vodafone.com and then tethering traffic will go out over this. Although some people who have upgraded to Android 8 are reporting that this doesn't work anymore either, and that they're billed for all tethering traffic as a result.

If you're on iPhone though then there's nothing you can do - you'll either have to pay 19c/MB or just not tether in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

KildareP wrote: »
    Data is only covered on the live.vodafone.com APN.
    Every other APN is €0.19 per MB and that adds up for you - 131 x €0.19 = €24.89.

If you're on Android you should be able to delete any APN other than live.vodafone.com and then tethering traffic will go out over this. Although some people who have upgraded to Android 8 are reporting that this doesn't work anymore either, and that they're billed for all tethering traffic as a result.

If you're on iPhone though then there's nothing you can do - you'll either have to pay 19c/MB or just not tether in the first place.
    Very interesting. I'm considering going for this plan, but just wondering why Vodafone charges for tethering on some APNs but not others. Is there a difference, eg 3G v 4G or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

What apn are you using?

You should be using live.Vodafone.Com to tether.

There are free apps available to check on android.

• Advertisement

PenguinMan wrote: »
    Very interesting. I'm considering going for this plan, but just wondering why Vodafone charges for tethering on some APNs but not others. Is there a difference, eg 3G v 4G or something?

Many moons ago there used to be a difference. Live was restricted in speed and content. There used to be a very annoying VF banner on the top of webpages. This is long gone thankfully. I don’t know what differences are there now.

You can contact customer care and ask that all chargeable APNs are blocked. That will ensure no further charges. However, it may prevent tethering if you can not ensure that it is the Live APN that you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Thanks for highlighting the offer. I’m not set up properly yet got the temp mins etc. One thing I noticed I don’t have 4G, is this during the set up period?

CFC007 wrote: »
    Thanks for highlighting the offer. I’m not set up properly yet got the temp mins etc. One thing I noticed I don’t have 4G, is this during the set up period?

Common issue. You need to contact customer care and they will provision it on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

re Tethering
    AFAIK with an iPhone there's no way around it, tethering is routed via HS APN

For android up to Oreo, APNs were editable, so just delete HS APN and there shouldn't be any charge.

Since Oreo, carrier can disable APN editing. Search online for a fix but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward remedy. Maybe try removing the SIM and see if the APNs can be changed / deleted.

The other option is a tethering app but any free apps have some restrictions eg no https allowed, download limit etc

BTW it's not specific to this Data User plan, it's all Vodafone plans.

You could try asking Vodafone to delete the HS APN but they may say it's a handset issue and refuse. What they won't admit openly is that they are controlling APNs.

The holy grail remedy is to root your phone but you'd need to be confident you know what your doing.

Do you know what APN was used for tethering? My understanding is that if it was the Live APN then all should be okay but if it was one of the other APNs e.g. HS then you will be charged. I’m open to correction on this though.

The APN can be checked on some handsets but is hidden on others e.g. iPhone.

Please let us know the outcome.

Seems the hs.vodafone was stored on the new phone along with Vodafone IE live.vodafone apn. When I tapped into APNs the live.vodafone.com was active.

So does it switch to hs.vodafone if i tether and does it reappear?
    I just deleted the hs.vodafone and got no tether access on live.vodafone.
    I have a Redmi 5 plus. This is annoying as I obviously just plugged in the sim and worked away. I was not going to know that either hs.vodafone was present, that it should not be activated, and that it would consume large amounts of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭KildareP

PenguinMan wrote: »

No modern difference, as pointed out it was originally from the WAP days when phones needed websites reformatted to fit a tiny, low-res screen.
    They also tiered data if I remember, ISP was unfiltered but throttled, whereas HS was both unfiltered and also unlimited.

These days it's really only a commercial decision keeping it that way.

Billpay plans include pretty much all of the APN's - no issue there.
    Prepay plans only include live.vodafone.com and all other APN's are per MB.

It's also important when roaming, again only live.vodafone.com (and the BlackBerry APN) are covered under the Red Roaming plan for both prepay and billpay, every other APN carries punitive per MB charges.

Every other operator (bar ex-O2 subscribers) ditched separation of APN's long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Signed up for this plan last Saturday and received the new sim on Monday.
    Do I put the new sim in the phone or wait for a text to say the offer is activated and then put in the new sim?
    Does the new vodafone sim need to be in the phone to receive the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

being charged for tethering will be the least of your worries when your missus finds out you're texting Mairead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Signed up for this plan last Saturday and received the new sim on Monday.
    Do I put the new sim in the phone or wait for a text to say the offer is activated and then put in the new sim?
    Does the new vodafone sim need to be in the phone to receive the text?

keep using your old sim until it stops working, then put in the vodafone one.( you might get a text telling you to do this.)

you'll start of with €10.50 credit. but it'll be a few more days before you can buy the data saver plan.

If you ring customer service they'll give you more minutes/text/data to tide you over until you can buy the plan.

I just deleted the hs.vodafone and got no tether access on live.vodafone.

Edit the live APN type to "default" or blank and try to tether

• Advertisement

If vodafone offered this pay as you go offer in bill pay 30 day rolling contract and charged me an extra 5 bob for the privelege then i would sign up in a heart beat. Fecking around with top ups and texting 50233 is annoying.

A few issues that I will highligh from use:
    1. Top of the list is to delete all other apns on android. Avoid tethering charges.
    2. Don't let your top up and the texting talk to 50233 go out of sync. Otherwise you will consume your top up making phone calls unknowns to yourself.
    3. Same as item 2 but replace for spotify or sports etc.
    4. Vodafone chat is poor at sorting out issues.

Ten Pin wrote: »

No change. Remove default under apn and phone data connects, tether does not.
    If you Reset the APNs to default it will undelete hs.vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SkryneRed

It has been 1 week since my sim was ported, but the plan still not available.

Called helpline couple of times and they only gave me free minutes and data. Getting frustrated with this.

No change. Remove default under apn and phone data connects, tether does not.

If APN type cannot be empty then try:

"default"

Or

"default,dun"

You might need to turn off mobile data while editing the APN

What does the HS APN have under APN type?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

SkryneRed wrote: »
    It has been 1 week since my sim was ported, but the plan still not available.

Called helpline couple of times and they only gave me free minutes and data. Getting frustrated with this.

I got nowhere with 2 guys,so just rang again and got a person who sorted it

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I have a Redmi 5 plus.
    If you have upgraded from MIUI 8.x to 9.x then your ROM will implement APN hiding. There's nothing you can do about this.
    If APN type cannot be empty then try:

"default"

Or

"default,dun"

You might need to turn off mobile data while editing the APN

What does the HS APN have under APN type?
    None of these changes will work with MIUI 9

None of these changes will work with MIUI 9
    Would it still allow deleting APNs, as I understand it, eoinfitz was able to delete the HS APN.

Would it still allow deleting APNs, as I understand it, eoinfitz was able to delete the HS APN.

The APN deletes alright.
    default and default, dun and empty do not work to enable tethering.

Back tethering from Honor Holly Android 4.4. live.vodafone in use and selected, hs.vodafone automatically is an option but not in use.

Incidentally Vodafone are insisting that tethering is not allowed on pay as you go (edit: specifically via hs.vodafone). Which is annoying as why provide hs.vodafone APN on the sim at all if it could lead to the types of mistaken charges that can occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

Definitely worth the small hassle,best deal out there

It's done I got everything sorted
    Thank you very much mate you are goldstar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

I only have the live APN. The sales guy told me tethering was free on the plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement