Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 NFL Offseason Trades and Free Agent News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Isn't 20mil the base contract for QBs these days? So they are basically paying him minimum wage to play for a season. He stays healthy win win for Arizona as already mentioned he has talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Isn't 20mil the base contract for QBs these days? So they are basically paying him minimum wage to play for a season. He stays healthy win win for Arizona as already mentioned he has talent.

Bradford has torn the ACL in his left knee twice and last season he injured the same knee twice ending up missing most of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They are going to need a strong Plan B though. Maybe retain Gabbert and draft a rookie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What are Cardinals thinking with that move? They’re rebuilding so no real need to force a higher end QB signing. Presume they’ll draft a QB but will now also have to bring in a high end backup due to the strong likelihood of Bradford getting injured, which would otherwise result in them starting that rookie too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Packers signing Jimmy Graham and releasing Jordy Nelson... I'm gobsmacked at the Nelson release.

Wonder if any team that has an agreement with a WR to sign tomorrow might have a change of heart now and look at Nelson

Bradford has torn the ACL in his left knee twice and last season he injured the same knee twice ending up missing most of the season.

Noooo Really? Notice where I said "He Stays Healthy"

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Wonder if any team that has an agreement with a WR to sign tomorrow might have a change of heart now and look at Nelson

Patriots losing Amendola to the Fish so heres hoping Bill swoops in

What are Cardinals thinking with that move? They’re rebuilding so no real need to force a higher end QB signing. Presume they’ll draft a QB but will now also have to bring in a high end backup due to the strong likelihood of Bradford getting injured, which would otherwise result in them starting that rookie too early.

Thing is you would expect them to get a reasonable backup also. It makes sense to have someone if healthy can win you games while your rookie QB sits and learns. Makes more sense not to force a rookie on to the field too early either. They have the cap to do it so why not try win some games and gamble on Bradford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Packers signing Jimmy Graham and releasing Jordy Nelson... I'm gobsmacked at the Nelson release.

Could still sign back for less $$$ maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

ScummyMan wrote: »

God I hope so. I've read that he hopes to retire at GB. Delighted with graham and so disappointed to see jordy go

Thing is you would expect them to get a reasonable backup also. It makes sense to have someone if healthy can win you games while your rookie QB sits and learns. Makes more sense not to force a rookie on to the field too early either. They have the cap to do it so why not try win some games and gamble on Bradford.

You could take a gamble at a lower end QB backup if you had a QB that wasn’t a sicknote. It goes from a situation where your QB may get injured to one with Braford where it is likely.

Do they have that much cap space? I thought it was less than $30m and that was before they signed Bradford, a higher end backup, and anyone else in FA for their rebuild. They’re currently struggling to renegotiate Honeybadger’s contract. I think the signing of Bradford is a luxury gamble and even if he end up injury free they only have him undercontract for 2 years, when they’ll likely not have a team to win, and will have to renegotiate at that stage or let him go.

ScummyMan wrote: »

Would he not have renegotiated instead of getting cut if that was the case? I'm guessing he'll only be back if there isn't a market for him. Also, don't GB still have to deal with the dead money either way now even if he signed back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Be interested to see what his demands are. Hopefully he's willing to take a cheap year in order to get his form back.

On the offense side, I'd love to see the Packers in for Graham but sadly it's not looking likely for a few reasons. He'd be a great option and would add a solely needed TE threat. A Saints return looks likely though.

Very happy with this apparent move. Graham will be a fantastic addition, especially with Jordy being cut.

Sad to see Jordy leave but it was looking more and more like the right move to make, especially if his deal couldn't be renegotiated.

Liking this bold approach. Hoping it continues. A lot of work still to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You could take a gamble at a lower end QB backup if you had a QB that wasn’t a sicknote. It goes from a situation where your QB may get injured to one with Braford where it is likely.

Do they have that much cap space? I thought it was less than $30m and that was before they signed Bradford, a higher end backup, and anyone else in FA for their rebuild. They’re currently struggling to renegotiate Honeybadger’s contract. I think the signing of Bradford is a luxury gamble and even if he end up injury free they only have him undercontract for 2 years, when they’ll likely not have a team to win, and will have to renegotiate at that stage or let him go.

Isn't Honey Badger signed though til 2020? If they are negotiating with him its to give themselves room

Isn't Honey Badger signed though til 2020? If they are negotiating with him its to give themselves room

Yes, they are doing it because they don’t have all the cap space that you claimed they did. They are actually quite tight on it and at this stage they should be looking at a rebuild with the luxury of a potentially healthy Bradford for 2 seasons making little sense.

Noooo Really? Notice where I said "He Stays Healthy"

The problem is that he can't stay healthy and every year the problems mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It'll obviously be very sad to see Nelson go if he doesn't re-sign. But hes a WR whos turning 33 in 8 weeks and who has a bit of an injury history at this stage. And who was the 3rd highest paid player for the Packers (I think?) last year. It does make sense.

I do hope he signs back on at a lower salary thats weighted towards performance bonuses, though. If he has been saying he wants to see out his career at GB it might happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans sign Malcolm Butler to a 5 year 61 million deal with 30 mill guaranteed

Eagles sign Corey Nelson LB - former Bronco

Browns sign Donald Stephenson OT - former Bronco (LMAO)

Yes, they are doing it because they don’t have all the cap space that you claimed they did. They are actually quite tight on it and at this stage they should be looking at a rebuild with the luxury of a potentially healthy Bradford for 2 seasons making little sense.

I never claimed anything. I said they had cap space for the move which they did and they will have some left. I never stated how much they had to begin with and not sure what you think I meant. Also not sure what you are trying to prove. But you mention rebuilding most of the positions they need they can fill in the draft. Offensively they need linemen and defensively they can fill their needs in the draft also. They may be "Rebuilding" but they actually have a decent base. It makes sense to want to win games.

Is Bradford a gamble? Of course he is but as I said originally if he stays healthy it could be huge for them.

As for Honey Badger according to a lot of articles coming from Arizona talks are going well with him
    Condon also represents safety Tyrann Mathieu, whom the Cardinals have asked to take a pay cut. The Cardinals and Mathieu are making positive strides toward a restructured contract that will keep Mathieu in Arizona, according to a source.

Mathieu is due to have $18 million of is contract guaranteed if he is on the roster tomorrow afternoon. The Cardinals didn’t want to be on the hook for that, but they do want to keep Mathieu. A new contract would lower his cap number of $14.1 million for this year.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/03/13/arizona-cardinals-safety-tyrann-mathieu-contract/421254002/

Titans sign Malcolm Butler to a 5 year 61 million deal with 30 mill guaranteed

Damn kid got paid. Happy for him and good luck to him. Such a shame how it ended in NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

Was hoping we'd be signing Solder but it looks like hubbard will be our new RT. Id assume that means that JT won't retire? Still would have liked Solder as he could ve there for next 6 years at LT play rt for next year if thomas stays on.

In saying that any Steelers fans have any opinion on Hubbard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Trumaine Johnson off to the Jets at $15 million a season

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brent celek is out in Philly and he got a standing ovation at a 76ers game. Rightly deserved.

Not alone are the Jets signing Bridgewater - they are giving McCown $10million for next year.

• Advertisement

I never claimed anything. I said they had cap space for the move which they did and they will have some left. I never stated how much they had to begin with and not sure what you think I meant. Also not sure what you are trying to prove. But you mention rebuilding most of the positions they need they can fill in the draft. Offensively they need linemen and defensively they can fill their needs in the draft also. They may be "Rebuilding" but they actually have a decent base. It makes sense to want to win games.

Is Bradford a gamble? Of course he is but as I said originally if he stays healthy it could be huge for them.[/url]

Having the cap space to pay for a player in no way means that it makes sense to do so, especially when they have little to nothing left over for other holes in their roster (I see way more holes than you do). By signing Bradford you're now hoping they absolutely ace the draft rather than being able to mix draft guys and a few more FA targets. Also, if they really like a QB they may need to use some of the draft capital to move up so there's even less to work with.

I'm glad you see him as a gamble but I can't agree on the huge upside. Even if he is healthy and playing well I don't think they'll be playoff contenders and if he has 2 great years, while their rookie sits, they won't even get anything for him. If anything the contract is a win for Bradford. Have to hand it to the guy, I'm struggling to think of a guy who has made more money after playing so little.

Advertisement