Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 NFL Offseason Trades and Free Agent News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Wish the Chiefs would do something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    That's a shocking move from the Browns.

You'd think teams would have learned by now just to hang up when the Patriots call enquiring about their players.

Doesn't fit their scheme anymore and they've two young DTs that they prefer. Shelton wouldn't have been resigned when his contract finished at the end of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Wish the Chiefs would do something

Trading a starting QB and top young Corner before the league year starts isnt enough? :pac: :pac: :pac:

Expect an announcement on Hali shortly, decision being made in the next 2 days on Dee Ford and then we will have cash to play with in FA once the league year starts.
    Expect us to be looking at CB, DT and ILB. Depending on what happens with Ford, OLB
    Also, backup QB but thats less interesting.
    I would also expect us to offer Fuller a contract but the Bears will be able to match it and I dont see him actually leaving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Interesting inside details on how the Sherman deal came about with quotes from all parties.
    “We had something no other team could offer,” Lynch said.

What?

“The ability to play Seattle twice a year,” Lynch said.

When that was relayed to Sherman, he paused for a second.

Sherman said: “I’m vengeful in that way.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Interesting inside details on how the Sherman deal came about with quotes from all parties.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

will he celebrate like a mad man if he gets a pick?

will he celebrate like a mad man if he gets a pick?

Given what we’ve seen from him during his career, he’ll do everything he can on the field to get into the heads of the Seahawk players and fans.

Glad he pointed out the top tier idiocy of fans burning his jersey after first being released and then the Seahawks refusing to match the 49ers offer. What did they expect him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Suh cut by Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What? Considering the dead cap hit, that's mad.

The difference between the savings and dead cap is about 3m, iirc.

Sean Smith cut by the Raiders. They didn’t really have a choice as he just accepted a plea deal to a year in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Please come back to Detroit at a reasonably priced contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭cosatron

Please come back to Detroit at a reasonably priced contract.

I hope suh returns at 15 mil a year and obliges to get suspended against the packers in his first game:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

cosatron wrote: »
    I hope suh returns at 15 mil a year and obliges to get suspended against the packers in his first game:cool:

And I hope Lane Taylor's dick survives the ordeal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Knex. wrote: »
    What? Considering the dead cap hit, that's mad.

The difference between the savings and dead cap is about 3m, iirc.
    I though it was way more. He's been a cap cut consideration on a lot of articles I read a number of days back. It was a crazy contract to start with, he's not close to being worth it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Sean Smith cut by the Raiders. They didn’t really have a choice as he just accepted a plea deal to a year in jail.
    "Doctors later inserted a metal plate and screws underneath Woods' right eye. He also underwent reconstructive surgery on his left eye socket to repair five fractures."
    Christ. A year seems very generous.

"Doctors later inserted a metal plate and screws underneath Woods' right eye. He also underwent reconstructive surgery on his left eye socket to repair five fractures."
    Christ. A year seems very generous.

Presume he’ll be paying up in civil court too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Sad to see Tamba Hali go :(

Great servant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ravens quiet during as always, I don’t remember a year they were not up against the cap

In news nobody cares about James Hurst who filled in pretty much every postion in the offensive line got a 4 year 17.5 million deal

Once touted as a first or second rounder and shut down Jadevon Clowney in college as a left tackle he suffered a terrible leg injury and went undrafted. I wouldn’t say he’s a quality starter but you need versitile backups too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

One interesting bit is Drew Brees is free to talk to other teams today seen as he has no deal done with the Saints yet. Most reckon he will stay at the Saints but apparently there are teams contacting him to try sway him away from New Orleans.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/nfl/new-orleans-saints/article204693769.html
    Drew Brees is about to find out what the market has to offer him.

While he can’t sign a contract with any other team but the Saints until Wednesday, Brees’ agent, Tom Condon, can now begin negotiating with other teams, The Advocate reported Monday.

Brees’ contract with the Saints voids at 3 p.m. Wednesday. If New Orleans doesn’t first enter into a new agreement with the quarterback, the $18 million in signing-bonus proration remaining on his contract will accelerate onto the 2018 salary cap in the form of dead money. The Saints can restructure that debt by signing Brees to a new deal.

While it would have been advantageous to sign Brees to a new deal before his representatives could discuss the parameters of a new deal with other organizations, his camp should have already gathered a good idea which teams would be interested in signing a quarterback before this window opened. As far as his value, all you have to do is look at some of the other contracts given to quarterbacks — including several negotiated by Condon — to see that Brees should be worth something around $25 million per season, and perhaps more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    One interesting bit is Drew Brees is free to talk to other teams today seen as he has no deal done with the Saints yet. Most reckon he will stay at the Saints but apparently there are teams contacting him to try sway him away from New Orleans.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/nfl/new-orleans-saints/article204693769.html

From what I just watched on NFL network Brees was paid $22M a year during his last contract and the Saints kind of want Brees to take that number again and Brees thinks he should be paid more.

Also the point that you can't pay Brees less than Jimmy G was made. I mean as good as the 49ers QB looked at the end of the season last year he's won nothing yet(I know he has SB ring) but Brees isn't declining that badly yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Bills starting the climb for a QB??

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/973296959762165760

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The browns have 82.7 million dollars in cap space and that is after what they have done at the weekend. That is nuts and John Dorsey better spend it wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    From what I just watched on NFL network Brees was paid $22M a year during his last contract and the Saints kind of want Brees to take that number again and Brees thinks he should be paid more.

Also the point that you can't pay Brees less than Jimmy G was made. I mean as good as the 49ers QB looked at the end of the season last year he's won nothing yet(I know he has SB ring) but Brees isn't declining that badly yet.

I agree and the Saints might want to pony up. I can see Brees saying goodbye to New Orleans if someone offers him the right contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I though it was way more. He's been a cap cut consideration on a lot of articles I read a number of days back. It was a crazy contract to start with, he's not close to being worth it.

They save 3.9m by cutting him, he’s still a force, not worth cutting him.

Miami are tanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

phatkev wrote: »
    Bills starting the climb for a QB??

The manoeuvering that is going to take place right up to the draft is going to require a spread sheet to keep track of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/report-case-keenum-will-sign-with-denver/

Not quite what I had in mind as a solution to Denver's quarterbacking woes. Obviously we weren't serious contenders for Cousins, and I can't blame him for picking the Vikings (assuming that's where he lands) over the Broncos.

Can't say I'm particularly impressed with the signing if confirmed later today - is he really that much of an upgrade over Trevor Siemian and on what kind of contract?

Quick edit to say I've always liked Keenum's story, undersized out of college, goes to hometown Texans, showed some flashes in limited opportunities, onto the Rams where he was thrown in at the deep end but thought he handled himself well during the "All or Nothing" series. A single good year with the Vikings gets him his shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/report-case-keenum-will-sign-with-denver/

Not quite what I had in mind as a solution to Denver's quarterbacking woes. Obviously we weren't serious contenders for Cousins, and I can't blame him for picking the Vikings (assuming that's where he lands) over the Broncos.

Can't say I'm particularly impressed with the signing if confirmed later today - is he really that much of an upgrade over Trevor Siemian and on what kind of contract?

Quick edit to say I've always liked Keenum's story, undersized out of college, goes to hometown Texans, showed some flashes in limited opportunities, onto the Rams where he was thrown in at the deep end but thought he handled himself well during the "All or Nothing" series. A single good year with the Vikings gets him his shot.
    Don't like the signing - hopefully Kubiak knows things that aren't obvious to the fans.

Apparently it will be effectively a one year deal with $18million guaranteed. Most fans think that this screams a QB at 1.5 - I am not so sure. With Musgrave known for developing QBs it might mean Keenum and/or Kelly long term and more flexibility in the draft.

Just to add - even with question marks - Keenum is a major upgrade over Siemian.

Interesting times ahead - and again a move that makes the draft even more unpredictable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Allen Robinson expected to sign with the Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭nerd69

Awesome pickup by the bears I think he's an upgrade over Alshon

• Advertisement

They save 3.9m by cutting him, he’s still a force, not worth cutting him.

Miami are tanking.
    Yeah, thought it was more given the talk that he was a likely cut. Saving $4m is peanuts, so must be more than just the money; which I guess makes it worth cutting him in their eyes.

Advertisement