Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sdanseo wrote: »
    That's almost a red warning :pac:

What are the odds Gerry was in charge of this forecast

And once again the mid Munster area gets a pasting with adverse weather and nothing from the weather forecasts accurately gave proper warning of the event.

I know I've posted about this before before but there are large areas of mid Munster that no ME weather stations with the result that weather details/ variables across a huge swath of Limerick/ North West Cork / Kerry / Waterford/ Klkenny and large tracts of Tipperary don't get accurately recorded or reported. Forecasts ditto.

Woke up to a solid covering of snow this morning - and I'm not an isolated case either looking at the reports on here ..

Not even a mention this morning on the RTE radio weather report ...

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Meanwhile near Arklow,it’s also a beautiful morning
    However..

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/971668211480649729?s=21

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Meanwhile near Arklow,it’s also a beautiful morning. However...

:eek: You would not be allowed spread slurry on the snow in my back garden! :P

Still a good cover of snow to most of my back garden in Dublin 16. Still 6am deep in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I was wrong last night. It has stuck! Decent covering of snow here, but thankfully nothing close to the last one. Tipp/Kilkenny border

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Lowest temperatures are expected to fall to between zero and -3 degrees generally, but may fall locally to -4 degrees with a widespread sharp frost.

Issued:Thursday 08 March 2018 11:00
    Valid:Friday 09 March 2018 00:01 to Friday 09 March 2018 08:00

• Advertisement

NASA's satellite today. You can clearly see the snow covered ground in parts on it - where red is. The red is snow, white is cloud.

LKkYXSB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It looks like the Llŷn Peninsula (South of Anglesea) in wales still has substantial snow cover from that photo.
    I wonder did it get much more than wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

The snow was great and all but it was back breaking digging out the drive to get the car out ...

What’s this I hear of snow again

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Spot the car

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

I met a man taking photo's of the snow last week along the Royal Canal in Ashtown, asked me if he could take a photo with me pulling the kids on a blue sled, if your the photogrpaher can you give me shout, I'd love to get a copy, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only just back online after six months of no electricity then waiting for internet access. I was thinking of you all when the snow came; of the Corkonians who always bemoaned no snow. Wondering how RobertKK managed the cattle...

I migrated offshore last year and we had just a little snow; I was longing to make a snowman... But such bitter cold The mountains that surround us were awesome

Glad so many had wishes granted,...all clear here on west coast.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Only just back online after six months of no electricity then waiting for internet access. I was thinking of you all when the snow came; of the Corkonians who always bemoaned no snow. Wondering how RobertKK managed the cattle...

I migrated offshore last year and we had just a little snow; I was longing to make a snowman... But such bitter cold The mountains that surround us were awesome

Welcome back Graces7. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Graces7 wrote: »

How did you manage no electricity for that long? I'd lose my marbles.

I don’t disagree on the probability whilst the jet is into Morocco
    However when that rebounds back to where it’s supposed to be,any residual cold will move further east into Russia never hopefully to bother Ireland at least (maybe briefly east anglia) untill next winter
    I’d expect that by the time further artic leakage occurs that the jet will be back hopefully before

I would prefer that, don't really want cold or snow. Emma made me sick of it.

How did you manage no electricity for that long? I'd lose my marbles.

When a choice between living in my car and this? Gee I would have frozen to death! Did not know at the start it WOULD be that long! May post on the survivalist forum! But you certainly heed the weather more when no heating....caught the radio forecasts every day and yes. envied the Corkonians,

Utterly silent out there and frost forecast,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tartetatin

Ah Graces7, we missed you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Storm Damage to farmers especially Wexford. Scroll to 13 minutes in.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Half my garden is still covered in snow and there is a foot high mound of snow beside my car on the road. With temps of 8 degrees and rain tomorrow afternoon, am hoping it will see of the rest of the snow. Am in Naas.
    It's great to see Graces7 return, I always wondered what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Last of the snow melted today, rather quickly too. Was bizzare seeing blazing spring sun and 10c and snow simultaneously. The sun and temperature made easy work of the remaining snow in the end. Probably still some piles around though.

The 10c today feels like summer, alot warmer than I ever remember 10c feeling before, perhaps due to our cold weather lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://thescienceexplorer.com/nature/snownado-rare-winter-weather-phenomenon

I saw one of these, or something very similar, in my local park during last week! The snow was whipped into a funnel shape and rose off the ground for a few minutes!

• Advertisement

The snow we had here was that nasty gritty kind. Like needles in your eyes and took ages to make any real coveriing.Not the huge satisfying fat flakes that amass fast .The wind was ferocious and it did try to make a snowdrift but it was pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Some snow won’t give up.
    This s few hours ago in the Phoenix Park. Those bollards are about 3 feet high. Loads of drifts still around the park but huge pools of melted snow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

david75 wrote: »
    Some snow won’t give up.
    This s few hours ago in the Phoenix Park. Those bollards are about 3 feet high. Loads of drifts still around the park but huge pools of melted snow as well.

There's still loads out in Kildare even on relatively flat ground where you wouldn't at all think it should have lasted.

Switching jobs next week back to Dublin so unfortunately won't be able to compare the weather there to here as easily. It's struck me in the last couple of weeks just how much of a difference even just a few km or so makes to the effects of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Should there be a flooding risk thread for today? I don't want to start it because I don't know the details of the risk, just looks to me like perhaps one would be useful to collect reports on flooding of roads and streams. Or just keep it here with perhaps a new title (level one alert possibly?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Should there be a flooding risk thread for today? I don't want to start it because I don't know the details of the risk, just looks to me like perhaps one would be useful to collect reports on flooding of roads and streams. Or just keep it here with perhaps a new title (level one alert possibly?)

There already has been some flooding in parts of the country. In my own area there is a small river that has its course through a valley which last weekend overflowed its banks due to snow melt and which caused some local flooding. The current mild rainy weather will also likely cause problems in areas which still have significant lying snow.

Here's a funny but very weird video of me doing a little parody of Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens during the beast from the east on 28 February 2018. Enjoy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Considering the rain and temp, I'm surprised at the rate of thaw. The stream in my back yard is up, but not close to being a flood threat, yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's a funny but very weird video of me doing a little parody of Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens during the beast from the east on 28 February 2018. Enjoy :p

Nice one sryanbruen.:cool: How long did it take for the snow to fully thaw in your area? It had completely gone in my area of west Cork by last Wednesday. Apologies if you have already posted about this.

Nice one sryanbruen.:cool: How long did it take for the snow to fully thaw in your area? It had completely gone in my area of west Cork by last Wednesday. Apologies if you have already posted about this.

It's still not fully thawed up to yesterday, have not seen today. There's still piles of slush lying around various parts of the area. That part of the road I've named outside Grattan Hall apartments still has quite a coverage of snow and slush but thankfully, it's become less impactful on driving conditions.

For my own gardens, there is no snow or slush at all since I think Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Had it really been mild? It's been cold here up until today. Obviously nothing as cold as the beast but still below average. Still some bits of snow here.

Advertisement