Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's a supplementary advisory to tell everyone in Dublin and surroundings you're fecked next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

This is the TV news report playing in the background at the start of a disaster movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can this Bitter Baltic Bitch take out the power, or is that relatively safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

brianblaze wrote: »
    This is the TV news report playing in the background at the start of a disaster movie...

2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Airplane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

I remember my grandfather telling us stories from Leitrim about 1947. Bitter cold but dry for a few days beforehand and when they woke up the next morning they had to dig themselves out of their cottage. Drifts were up to 20 feet in places. Truly exceptional. And then further blizzards with sunny calm but freezing intervals.

Without sounding alarmist but based on what I’m reading here there is a possibility that high ground in Wicklow could have similar conditions. And also, I know hunches aren’t scientific, but I have a feeling most parts of Ireland will see at least moderate snow before next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10843426/

By the looks of that new ME advisory tonight .. The CORK snow shield remains in tact through out the whole thing? Its mainly the east gets a drubbing?

So at least in Cork we can go about our business as usual? Lots of pee'd off kids .. no snowmen or days off it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

With such extreme conditions on their way, I would have expected that RTE would skip the mandatory 40-second advert before the forecast on the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

aidanodr wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10843426/

By the looks of that new ME advisory tonight .. The CORK snow shield remains in tact through out the whole thing? Its mainly the east gets a drubbing?

So at least in Cork we can go about our business as usual? Lots of pee'd off kids .. no snowmen or days off it seems?
    You must have very little understanding of weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Lads I’m scared

• Advertisement

You must have very little understanding of weather

:D ...Thats why my comment was all question marks :D .. see what response.

But Im purely going on what she said in that advisory? Or maybe I picked it up wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m getting seriously concerned about our GFCH. We have no other heat source. Should we be picking up a gas canister and one of those old fashioned gas radiators? We’re in north Kildare with a 3 year old. House is C1 rated at least so it’s better than the last one during 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I’m getting seriously concerned about our GFCH. We have no other heat source. Should we be picking up a gas canister and one of those old fashioned gas radiators? We’re in north Kildare with a 3 year old. House is C1 rated at least so it’s better than the last one during 2010

There's not much you can do if you have a GFCH but you can get yourself one of those room heaters with a gas tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

aidanodr wrote: »
    Its mainly the east gets a drubbing?

Damn right we will and you'll have your turn too, just requires patience.

Manitoban wrote: »
    I'm in Castlebellingham, it better snow with all the preparations I have done!

You are further south. Better chance of the white stuff I reckon. In 2010 Dundalk didn't get a sniff, but down nearer Drogheda got a right pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

Go and buy an oil-filled rad from Argos, and keep the Receipt! Then return it after the 'event' if you didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why would the poster be concerned about his GFCH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why would the poster be concerned about his GFCH?

If electricity goes at any stage we’ll have no heat source and it’s going to be bitterly cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Lads I’m scared

Why so scared? Sure it was only yesterday that you had this to say. :D

442686.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A supplementary forecast is rather unusual. I'd be honestly shocked if this event didn't turn out to be one of the most memorable of the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Just dropping in, did some one mention snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If electricity goes at any stage we’ll have no heat source and it’s going to be bitterly cold

Ah I was thinking why would someone have GFCH and not be on the mains :pac:

Surely it'd be unlikely that the power would go out though? I don't even remember stories of power loss around here in heavy snows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Then an oil-filled radiator, as some have suggested, will be zero use.
    If you have a fireplace, stock up on wood, coal etc.
    Whereabouts in North Kildare are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

sryanbruen wrote: »
    bazlers wrote: »
    It all just seems too good to be true. Your just waiting for the bubble to burst. Oh it all just sadly took a southerly direction or the precipitation just didn’t unfold.
    But maybe just maybe this is the once in a life time chance when it all comes togetherðŸ™❄️☃️

It is the latter for reasons I have stated in the Winter discussion thread for a few weeks now.
    So what's your prediction sryan how long are we gonna be snowed in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A supplementary forecast is rather unusual. I'd be honestly shocked if this event didn't turn out to be one of the most memorable of the last 100 years.

Well in 1982 they predicted sleet turning to rain, in 1947 they had no TV in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    There's not much you can do if you have a GFCH but you can get yourself one of those room heaters with a gas tank.

You mean a "superser", if you're an old fart like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Shovel & dishwasher salt bought. Snow boots coming out of the wardrobe tomorrow and going to stock up on some logs.

Bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Latest forecast for South Laois area: http://www.durrow.ie/forecast-issued-february-23rd-2018/

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/DonegalWeatherC/
    A RED WARNING FOR LOW TEMPERATURES HAS BEEN ISSUED
    Warning in place Nationwide Ireland :
    (ULSTER, CONNACHT, MUNSTER & LEINSTER)

Due to the the risk of very low temperatures over next week a low temperature level red warning has been Issued.

????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement