Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

No real snow predicted at all for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its unfeasible for a company to pay up to hundreds employees a full days salary and receive no output in return

What if the company has no electricity or running water ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its unfeasible for a company to pay up to hundreds employees a full days salary and receive no output in return

I would say just being completely okay with people not arriving to work is best you could hope for, but certainly not being paid for being cosy at home watching it snow !

not a chance, they only way they can do that if they take it as a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Do we really need to discuss employer obligations in here??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

irishgeo wrote: »
    I doubt that.

For storm ophelia i was in work less than hour before being told to go home but still paid
    Then nothing happened in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

My employers have done it in 2010 and during storm Ophelia...
    It's not a Mickey mouse operation though .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the company closes and there is no work they are required to pay you. Unless of course they can give you your statutory minimum level of notice that there is no work on a particular day.

If you choose not to attend or feel that you can't, then they aren't obligated to pay you.
    MidMan25 wrote: »

Briefly I think so - it's pretty relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MidMan25 wrote: »

Yeah.... can we get back to weather please?

It's my birthday next week, would really love a snow day off work :D I remember when I was a kid it snowed on my birthday and I got to go home from school early, it was pancake Tuesday the same day too, best birthday I ever had!

I am a bit concerned though my flat is electric heating only and we don't have a fireplace, it's been cold all winter as it is, if the power goes we're screwed!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah.... can we get back to weather please?

You mean get back to the snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some eye candy from 1982 (by all accounts, this could be similar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzvI_wxW3U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

sdanseo wrote: »
    Some eye candy from 1982 (by all accounts, this could be similar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzvI_wxW3U

did ireland really sell its slow ploughs to canada years back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here's my historical post or article on the January 1982 event if you'd like to take a read about it and look at videos.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105903155&postcount=217

OK thanks for that. But as I posted previously the worst of the wintry weather was in Leinster whether it was the East or the Midlands. On a personal note I remember travelling by train from Cork to Dublin during the start of that event. Leaving Cork there was hardly any snow on low lying areas but when we arrived in Dublin it was like a different country with snow and ice everywhere. I can still remember slipping on ice and landing on my arse in O Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Maybe some of us could be building a snowman the size of this one in ABBA's video next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So in summary that means what for Ireland?

I think Rougies gave you a simple enough answer :), thanks Rougies.
    Jake1 wrote: »
    OT for a moment,

sryanbruen, I just have to say, you are amazing, I cant believe you are so young.
    You are a credit to yourself .

Thank you very much :D.

I have always been awkward for my age though haha because of my nerdy nature for computers, gaming, music, meteorology etc. Just because I have not posted these pics here before, why not! They're of me at Met Éireann on 20 July 2010.

RVSDeah.jpg

67chIWk.jpg
    sdanseo wrote: »
    So in a nutshell, can it be inferred that the potential is there for several weeks of prolonged cold, relative to the amount of time the stratopsheric warming continues for?

The length of the stratospheric warming hasn't been researched to affect the length of the effects it gives on the troposphere but given how significant and out of this world these two events are, I would say so and totally wouldn't rule it out especially with those very weak zonal winds.
    screamer wrote: »
    SRyan.... I bow to your superior knowledge but can you translate for the meteorologically challenged like myself.....

Basically the thread title with cold potentially extending into April and possible brief moderations through the middle of March.
    VeVeX wrote: »
    Obviously its something comparable to the second coming but for mere mortals such as myself what is the significance?

Cold will be very severe for the time of year with records being broken for many as March has never really delivered very low temperatures in modern times - and a lot of stations have been set up since the old Marches that have recorded these temperature records such as -17.2c at Markree on March 3rd 1947. In terms of the cold, it has the potential to be like December 2010 but not as severe. Snow wise.... it could be even worse. :)
    Yes. It's amazing. Without it the high to the north east would have likely been eroded by the daughter vortex over the Hudson Bay. So we would not be facing snowmageddon next week.

As you say these are the charts strat experts drool over, and will likely scrutinise for years to come- this event will be the one all others are judged by.

Indeed, it's all very fascinating.
    Thats good enough for me Syran, I don't understand half what you say but you know your stuff,so thank you

I don't think you're alone Stephen :pac:. Don't worry, you just focus on getting prepared for this and don't let me confuse you with my complicated methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

HI you very patient and helpful with what must be mundane and simple questions to you.But in simple terms what would a place like Dundrum/ sandyford in South Dublin expect? A bit of snow? 2010 snow? Or a god almighty snowmagedden? How long will it last?thanks again bud cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Our future leader- Sryanbruen!!!

Off topic, have you ever entered the Young Scientist Competition? You would win it every year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

HI you very patient and helpful with what must be mundane and simple questions to you.But in simple terms what would a place like Dundrum/ sandyford in South Dublin expect? A bit of snow? 2010 snow? Or a god almighty snowmagedden? How long will it last?thanks again bud cheers

Im not far from you, if we get stuck under streamers then think 2010. If the potential end of week storm happens this will probably beat those totals. Likewise we might get unlucky and see only small shower activity here (unlikely) and the end of week storm might track south and miss us entirely.

Its looking very good all things considered. 10-40cm is on the cards if we get stuck under heavy streamers. South Dublin/North Wicklow tends to do very well out of these scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Our future leader- Sryanbruen!!!

Off topic, have you ever entered the Young Scientist Competition? You would win it every year!!

Well, not every year.

But yeah, he's a star

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

I agree I'm in rathfarnham so I think where in the direct line for snow streamer wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Im not far from you, if we get stuck under streamers then think 2010. If the potential end of week storm happens this will probably beat those totals. Likewise we might get unlucky and see only small shower activity here (unlikely) and the end of week storm might track south and miss us entirely.

Its looking very good all things considered. 10-40cm is on the cards if we get stuck under heavy streamers. South Dublin/North Wicklow tends to do very well out of these scenarios.

I recently moved in just down the hill from Lamb Doyles.

My girlfriend thinks we moved here for the luas and so on.

She'll soon see

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

screamer wrote: »
    Jesus Nacho.... That's pretty unreal.....

It's so nice to hear other people say that, this is truly a rare and historical event taking place and we are actually 'in it' rather than onlookers from the future like the way we look back at the likes of 47. Cold and snow aside, this is the most fascinating phenomena I've ever had the pleasure of studying...it's just nuts. I keep forgetting I'm looking at actual charts because they make so little sense compared to to the way the northern hemisphere is supposed to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Blizzard7 is da man along with Sryanbruen,Kermit and the top dog MT thank you all and those I haven't mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Just to clarify my comment earlier re Joanna’s forecast and the western coasts showers,I was actually meaning that I thought it was nervous excitement :)
    The ‘boreds’ quip she made on twitter in response to it was very very funny though :p
    Yours in equal if not quadruple nervous excitement
    George :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just to clarify my comment earlier re Joanna’s forecast and the western coasts showers,I was actually meaning that I thought it was nervous excitement :)
    The ‘boreds’ quip she made on twitter in response to it was very very funny though :p
    Yours in equal if not quadruple nervous excitement
    George :D

No takesies backsies, you got rekt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Considering the posts in this thread, fascinating as they are, why does the title only have a yellow level 1 warning?

What do you hope for and what do you dread?
    This is the snow appreciation thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

Hi all i was wondering what will it be like in Navan North of it wise as in Between Kells and Navan will it get snow or miss out
    :)
    Regards Snowfantic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement