Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm certainly not complaining with those charts but I can understand people for wanting to as the country will come to a standstill :P.

KWxNdu1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Rougies wrote: »
    Currently it's looking colder and much snowier.

But only for a week or so most likely. Although recent runs have been trending to the more prolonged.

I've heard stories about 1947, 1963 and 1982, and now people round these parts are saying we may have a new rival for those. Beyond excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Rougies wrote: »
    Currently it's looking colder and much snowier.

I would hesitate to say colder overall, but possibly on par for snowiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How would this compare to 2010?

bfe5b52cfe5ccc52e32184085e584ca4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gabeeg wrote: »
    The thing that has me worried now is that it's gonna be too severe to get out and walk about in.

I'll be out running. Have county road championships on March 11th. Ice on the road that day would end up proponing (spl?) it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Colder? We had -15 in midlands in 2010

The air source is colder than it was in 2010. Ultimately temps will be down to local variations and snow cover. -15 wasn't modeled this far out in 2010 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extreme cold advisory from Joanna online now
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10843426/

Supplementary advisory - getting serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've a big decision to make now in how much I stock up.

We had to get supplies airlifted in in 81, 85, 93 and 97. In 2010 we were better prepared but were stuck for a week beford we could get out anywhere.

If we get what's being touted, I'm looking at 7 to 10 days being stuck here.

Aldi is going to get hit hard in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This a 1947 Event in my books. Unbelievable Charts Runs etc.

The East Coast will be shutdown by Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Its gonna be some craic driving from Dublin to Cavan on Friday for my little sisters wedding. Fair play to the resident gurus on here, we've been following closely since last week! I'd like to think we are just a little more prepared!

Where's the wedding ?

The M3 Will be grand, so will will the N3 to Cavan. After that its anyones guess

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I've a big decision to make now in how much I stock up.

We had to get supplies airlifted in in 81, 85, 93 and 97. In 2010 we were better prepared but were stuck for a week beford we could get out anywhere.

If we get what's being touted, I'm looking at 7 to 10 days being stuck here.

Aldi is going to get hit hard in the morning.

Joanna is telling ye to be stocked up - take her advice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    But only for a week or so most likely. Although recent runs have been trending to the more prolonged.

Even if it's only a week it would be fantastic, but please check the posts from syran in the winter2017/18 to see why it's likely to be more prolonged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

passes out...

Let's take a moment to think how this will affect the LCC

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

It all just seems too good to be true. Your just waiting for the bubble to burst. Oh it all just sadly took a southerly direction or the precipitation just didn’t unfold.
    But maybe just maybe this is the once in a life time chance when it all comes together🙏❄️☃️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I haven't seen the irish news/weather since Wednesday. I'm flying back into Dublin late tomorrow night and driving cross country. Will this cold "snap" have started to kick by then eg. severe frost/ice?

bazlers wrote: »
    It all just seems too good to be true. Your just waiting for the bubble to burst. Oh it all just sadly took a southerly direction or the precipitation just didn’t unfold.
    But maybe just maybe this is the once in a life time chance when it all comes together🙏❄️☃️

It is the latter for reasons I have stated in the Winter discussion thread for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

piplip87 wrote: »
    Where's the wedding ?

The M3 Will be grand, so will will the N3 to Cavan. After that its anyones guess

Wedding is in Dublin Friday morning and the reception will be in Cabra Castle later in the day. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and get the snow tyres put on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28459035_2005784099438703_750841608_n.jpg?oh=e8985dae990806e0dfbbc9d7b4cd4aa2&oe=5A920A89

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It is the latter for reasons I have stated in the Winter discussion thread for a few weeks now.

Link?

Don't know about y'all but i feel like 6 years old right now I'm so giddy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Link?

There's A LOT of posts to go through, so good luck. Hope it's not too complicated for ya. :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771366&page=156

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

LowOdour wrote: »
    I haven't seen the irish news/weather since Wednesday. I'm flying back into Dublin late tomorrow night and driving cross country. Will this cold "snap" have started to kick by then eg. severe frost/ice?

No, should be ok. The airmass is very dry now so ice on the roads will not be an issue tomorrow night, just due caution for patchy frost in sheltered spots as it will be breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Well rest in piece all those in Wicklow based on those precipitation charts.

Myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Only minus 4 in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Pentecost

28459035_2005784099438703_750841608_n.jpg?oh=e8985dae990806e0dfbbc9d7b4cd4aa2&oe=5A920A89

Only -4 in Dublin :rolleyes:

Joke btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm confused, how is the 'special content' forecast for the Player any different to the normal broadcast after the news? I mean, surely either its a forecast, or it isnt??!!

Pentecost wrote: »
    Only -4 in Dublin :rolleyes:

Yeah? 'Cause of the onshore easterly winds, cloudy skies bringing snow etc.

:confused:

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm confused, how is the 'special content' forecast for the Player any different to the normal broadcast after the news? I mean, surely either its a forecast, or it isnt??!!

It's a supplementary advisory to tell everyone in Dublin and surroundings you're fecked next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Larbre34 wrote: »

Looks like an attempt to mirror the UKMO's facebook posts which are extended to 8 and 10 minutes in some cases and much more in depth than joe public needs but very informative.

Joanna is great, but unfortunately Met Éireann just aren't at the same level of polished yet. Not the fault of the individual meteorologists. They have the right idea though and will get there, doesn't help that the HD on RTÉ player never seems to playback in any decent quality!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement