Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

138-580UK.GIF?23-18

As per the OP temps may not reach above -2c for many on Wednesday and Thursday.

GFS goes on to deliver a major snow event heading in to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I bet next week we will all come across some citizens of the "Snowflake" variety who will be moaning about being cold ...all the while wearing NO SOCKS on their feet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Have told most people I know, better be guaranteed now or I'll look psychotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

That snow shovel may be coming out again later in the week looking at MT's latest predictions/report based on current data available! (Just below Mt. Leinster here. Will report back later in the week.)

These charts are incredible and now with cross model agreement... Hard to believe all this is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Been following the forum since 2010. Was off work for a couple of weeks that time. Farmers daughter and have always had massive interest in the weather. So excited for this event. Always have anxiety when there's wind forecast but can feel the excitement now. Off into town in the morning to see if I can get a sled for my smallies to play on. Saw one today and now I'm raging I didn't buy it. Didn't want to jinx anything.

We live around 200m asl on the wexford wicklow border so should have some fun. We had a lot of snow in 2010. So hoping for the same this time. Thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on here. Have learned lots from ye in the past 7 yrs. Look forward to all the fun and drama next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Good god and I thought the last one I posted was bad

gfs-0-168.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

ah now this isn't on. Cork fix yourself (P.S better off ignoring these snow charts they are iffy most of the time i've heard :P )

97A529F1-C7AD-4ED2-BC5E-AA683550A385.png.703c0d7780c75bfe72484706286d24e3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That snow shovel may be coming out again later in the week looking at MT's latest predictions/report based on current data available!

That shovel will be getting repurposed as a sled

The charts from netweather for snow prediction - are those inches or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The thing that has me worried now is that it's gonna be too severe to get out and walk about in.

If that run materialises, the east coast will have a low stalling over it for 24 hours+ going into the weekend :eek:

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    The thing that has me worried now is that it's gonna be too severe to get out and walk about in.

Ahh jaysus would you ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This is getting silly now

prectypeuktopo.png

This would be a housebound blizzard type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Sunday week blizzard Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

JCX BXC wrote: »
    This is getting silly now

prectypeuktopo.png

This would be a housebound blizzard type scenario.

snow shield down snow shield down!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

I've a bad feeling North Louth may miss the fun if its lake effect snow with a north easterly wind since that particular wind direction seems to be getting a fair mention. Cooley/Mourne hills will block any such precipitation. May be relying on a frontal snow event possible later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Really hope it snows in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Heading from Cork to Kilkenny for a few nights Wed - Fri

Picked a great week to be off work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Really hope it snows in cork

yup. snow ball fights and building snowmen

GFS pub run up to +192h for those who like pretty pictures :pac:

tempresult_xae0.gif

tempresult_vek2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This kind of consensus for extreme scenarios across models is unusual, isn't it? I only come on here the odd time so I could easily be wrong, but there usually seems to be at least one or two models saying it's not happening anytime I've been on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

fritzelly wrote: »
    That shovel will be getting repurposed as a sled

The charts from netweather for snow prediction - are those inches or what?

Millimeters of precipitation falling iin the timeframe (3 hrs in the netweather charts)). To convert it into snow depth you can multiply by 10 for wet snow up to about 40 for very dry snow.

Going by current charts, most snow would be around 20:1 ratio, so 1mm precip = 2 cm of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

I've a bad feeling North Louth may miss the fun if its lake effect snow with a north easterly wind since that particular wind direction seems to be getting a fair mention. Cooley/Mourne hills will block any such precipitation. May be relying on a frontal snow event possible later in the week.
    I'm in Castlebellingham, it better snow with all the preparations I have done!

Rougies wrote: »
    Millimeters of precipitation falling iin the timeframe. To convert it into snow depth you can multiply by 10 for wet snow up to about 40 for very dry snow.

Going by current charts, most snow would be around 20:1 ratio, so 1mm precip = 2 cm of snow.

Ohh happy days if its so

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Really hope it snows in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How would this compare to 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Really hope it snows in cork.

You’d be amazed how well ye could do. Back in 2010 my dad’s family who live on the Beara Peninsula (basically the last place you’d expect to get any snow from a northern or easterly direction, and also one of the mildest places in the country), got a few cms out of it if I recall.

I wouldn’t write anything off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Currently it's looking colder and much snowier.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

EPIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Rougies wrote: »
    Currently it's looking colder and much snowier.

Colder? We had -15 in midlands in 2010

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement