Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I’m playing off 9.6. I came down from 23 last October and got a big cut straight to 15 after a wins in the winter league. Since then I’ve came down slowly from 15 to 9.3. Some of those cuts were due to scoring 3 rounds in a row and getting cut extra shots. This happened a few times. So my 8 best scores might not actually be low enough to be off 9 but I am quite comfortable playing around 9 or 10. Does this get taken into consideration or do I go up a few shots and make the most of the generous handicap for the first while?

My guess is you will be lower than 9.6 if you were getting ESRs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    It won't be the same though. An ESR is given for two scores of four shots or more under CSS. The equivalent under WHS is 7 below your current index iirc. So you might trigger ESRs under the CONGU, but not under WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

I had -4 my handicap on captains day and got cut 1.8 shots. I was playing off 12 at the time. It wasn’t like a o shot 3 or 4 over and it’ll bring down my average. I’ve had 3 good scores since then, 77,78,78 but all the rest are buffer zones. Suppose we will just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I had -4 my handicap on captains day and got cut 1.8 shots. I was playing off 12 at the time. It wasn’t like a o shot 3 or 4 over and it’ll bring down my average. I’ve had 3 good scores since then, 77,78,78 but all the rest are buffer zones. Suppose we will just have to wait and see!

If you got cut 1.8 your - 4 was a nett differential of - 6. I would imagine it's the nett differential that will be used for initial handicap purposed rather than gross or stableford scores.

Yes but the new system reacts much quicker than Congu even with its ESRs

He gave further information which indicated he will be lower for sure

• Advertisement

kieran. wrote: »
    If you got cut 1.8 your - 4 was a nett differential of - 6. I would imagine it's the nett differential that will be used for initial handicap purposed rather than gross or stableford scores.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 12 handicap is category 2 and a cut of 1.8 would be 9 strokes nett including stableford adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 12 handicap is category 2 and a cut of 1.8 would be 9 strokes nett including stableford adjustment.

I got cut through the exceptional scoring rule as I had received 3 cuts in 2 weeks or whatever way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Anyone know yet know for interclub stuff next year if they go ahead with Covid will any of the handicap criteria change.

I got cut through the exceptional scoring rule as I had received 3 cuts in 2 weeks or whatever way it works.
    It's two net differentials of four or more strokes. So you probably got a 1.0 ESR cut. Most of this stuff is automatically worked out by the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Beaulieu wrote: »
    When are Golf Ireland releasing the App or putting up stuff on their website to enable you check your new handicap index I wonder.
    It's not exactly as if Nov 1st is miles away!!

Is there an app coming soon from the GUI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

slingerz wrote: »
    Is there an app coming soon from the GUI?

Yep and it will be the only place you will be able to see your handicap history. Unless there is a U Turn, master-scoreboard and HowDidiDo will only show you your results.

Yep and it will be the only place you will be able to see your handicap history. Unless there is a U Turn, master-scoreboard and HowDidiDo will only show you your results.
    Well you can always record it yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any word on when the app will arrive?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Any word on when the app will arrive?

the word when you read the GUI statements goes along the lines of "we would hope that you have sight of the new system before it goes live on the 2nd November"

So I'm not sure if that means 2020 or 2021 :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    the word when you read the GUI statements goes along the lines of "we would hope that you have sight of the new system before it goes live on the 2nd November"

So I'm not sure if that means 2020 or 2021 :D
    It's actually your handicap index they hope you'll have sight of before November 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just trying to work my own new handicap out lads. Do any of you know if/how they will retrospectively make allowances for course conditions? Will it need worked out from the CSS for that comp for that day?

Just trying to work my own new handicap out lads. Do any of you know if/how they will retrospectively make allowances for course conditions? Will it need worked out from the CSS for that comp for that day?
    I'm not sure that they will do that. It would mean having to recreate each competition and run whatever calculation is needed to get the PCC. They may short circuit that by using the CSS relevant to the competition concerned, but they aren't the same thing and have different ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm not sure that they will do that. It would mean having to recreate each competition and run whatever calculation is needed to get the PCC. They may short circuit that by using the CSS relevant to the competition concerned, but they aren't the same thing and have different ranges.

More than likely they'll have to do something. As we know, 36 pts one day is not the same 36 pts another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would be surprised if they used anything other than nett differential of your existing scores to calculate starting handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭paulos53

This site says that they will use CSS when calculating our new handicaps

https://www.my-golf.uk/world-handicap-system-2020-transition-handicaps/

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    This site says that they will use CSS when calculating our new handicaps

https://www.my-golf.uk/world-handicap-system-2020-transition-handicaps/
    SSS - CSS which makes sense as that gets it more into the range that PCC will use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Podcast from the GUI on the WHS has been released. Has anyone listened to it

slingerz wrote: »
    Podcast from the GUI on the WHS has been released. Has anyone listened to it

Yes. It goes over the basics. Good introduction to someone knowing nowt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yes. It goes over the basics. Good introduction to someone knowing nowt

Not worth it if you have read up on it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

The slides on the right hand side of this page explain how the initial handicaps are going to be calculated in the transition, so easy to work out your own from there

https://www.mapperleygolfclub.org/whs-transition-handicaps

Basically, for each round:

Differential = (113/Slope Rating) x (Gross score – Course Rating + (SSS-CSS))

Get your lowest 8 differentials from your last 20 rounds and the average of those 8 will be your handicap index.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

Seve OB wrote: »
    I’ve seen that once or twice. I think it has something to do with your club not closing off the comp correctly to golfnet, I stand to be corrected though.

I also have a few comps sitting in the unprocessed away section, however they were processed, again, maybe not just closed off correctly.

Will this definitely impact the new h/c or is the fact that it's in Handicap master sufficient?

newport2 wrote: »
    The slides on the right hand side of this page explain how the initial handicaps are going to be calculated in the transition, so easy to work out your own from there

https://www.mapperleygolfclub.org/whs-transition-handicaps

Basically, for each round:

Differential = (113/Slope Rating) x (Gross score – Course Rating + (SSS-CSS))

Get your lowest 8 differentials from your last 20 rounds and the average of those 8 will be your handicap index.
    Just to add that Gross Score is actually Adjusted Gross Score. The adjustment being net double bogey for each hole score where that score is greater than net double bogey.

This is important for both strokeplay competitions and stableford ones where you've scratched holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just to add that Gross Score is actually Adjusted Gross Score. The adjustment being net double bogey for each hole score where that score is greater than net double bogey.

This is important for both strokeplay competitions and stableford ones where you've scratched holes.

If it's a scratch, does the adjusted gross score go to net double bogey? I imagine the answer is yes, but just to make sure

Mushy wrote: »
    If it's a scratch, does the adjusted gross score go to net double bogey? I imagine the answer is yes, but just to make sure

Yes

• Advertisement

Will this definitely impact the new h/c or is the fact that it's in Handicap master sufficient?

I was concerned it wasn't in Golfnet because I think that's where the data will be pulled from to do the initial handicap calculations. I got it sorted and the scores are there now. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if they weren't then it would have influenced my new handicap

Advertisement