Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If it’s several days we’re honestly not going to be able to make it up. We’ve already had two days for Ophelia and a third due to no electricity in the building. The number of classes missed with the 6th years in particular once you add the normal class events to that mix means we’re all running tight on time. I expect at the very least we may end up bringing in 6th years

Ah Jesus, you're making me not want this whole thing to happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Six years on and maybe, just maybe, the snow shovel I purchased will get a run out. I'm just to the south east of Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

snowbabe wrote: »
    Just found my snow grips I ordered in 2010 as stocks ran out so they arrived too late 🙄🙄 so will hopefully take those little snow virgins out . Getting a little bit tired now of people sneering and laughing off this weather and me as if I've lost it, my kids , pals etc, only the dog listening to me , glad I'm in good company here though,oh they'll all want to know when I'm sipping my G&T and they cant get to shops . Amazing that they all think we will only get the usual dusting, right here on the east coast north wicklow , just below Calibos

Would winter tyres not be better than snow grips?
    Edit never mind just realised snow grips are for your feet..

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Only if the Board of Management make the call to close will you have to make up the days. If it's a Status Red Weather Alert you won't. You will just have to say your school is capable of making up the work in the days remaining. So basically don't allow your Board of Management to call a closure.
    Even if the board call a closure, you don’t necessarily have to open at Easter. There is the option of making arrangements to make up tuition time by prioritising Curriculum activities over things like tours, sports days or other outings/events.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’m a teacher in the east. Already resigned to needing to make up days at Easter. We’re up, then down and incredibly steep hill. It would be lethal if even the milder charts come off
    I've flights booked for Spain at Easter. Will be making up bugger all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pangea wrote: »
    Would winter tyres not be better than snow grips?

Saw this post and remembered I have snow chains in the shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Serious question

I have a gas fired central heating. What should I do if I have no electricity and the boiler doesn't work? I do have a gas cooker but I reckon it'll be a pain the hole warming yourself over the cooker..

Unless you've to drive up Mt. Leinster, you won't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Serious question

I have a gas fired central heating. What should I do if I have no electricity and the boiler doesn't work? I do have a gas cooker but I reckon it'll be a pain the hole warming yourself over the cooker..

hot water bottle up the jumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

snowbabe wrote: »
    Just found my snow grips I ordered in 2010 as stocks ran out so they arrived too late ���� so will hopefully take those little snow virgins out . Getting a little bit tired now of people sneering and laughing off this weather and me as if I've lost it, my kids , pals etc, only the dog listening to me , glad I'm in good company here though,oh they'll all want to know when I'm sipping my G&T and they cant get to shops . Amazing that they all think we will only get the usual dusting, right here on the east coast north wicklow , just below Calibos

Been quite a while since we've seen anything in greystones alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

That could lead to some issues with flooding in the aftermath, no?

I hope we get none and also that the pipes don’t freeze
    Last time was not fun

Serious question

The only real option is the have a small petrol generator and connect only the essentials to it. fridge, freezer heating controls & pump and some lights.
    you could reduce the load on that a bit by moving the fridge contents outside. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Serious question

Not a huge amount you can do! Have you an open/solid fuel fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

These arrived this morning

Just in case my rwd gets stuck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Being a bit superstitious I’m purposely not buying any salt for thawing. The last time I did for snow was early December 2010 and we didn’t see a flake of snow after that in Waterford City during that spell. It will be different this time I’m sure ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Serious question

Into the leaba with you, make sure you have power banks fired up for the phone, charge the kindle and you'll be grand.

Can the cooker work with a match (rather than an electric spark). If so you will be in a far better position than many will be I think! Me included....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

frash wrote: »
    hot water bottle up the jumper?

Didn't think of that. That could work.
    The only real option is the have a small petrol generator and connect only the essentials to it. fridge, freezer heating controls & pump and some lights.
    you could reduce the load on that a bit by moving the fridge contents outside. ;)

I live in an apartment so I don't think the management will be open to the idea of a diesel generator banging away :rolleyes:
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not a huge amount you can do! Have you an open/solid fuel fire?

Nope, no fireplace. Just gas boiler with radiators.

mikeecho wrote: »
    These arrived this morning

Just in case my rwd gets stuck

Bit of a pain in the hole to stop and snip them off every time you get to a clear patch of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Don't think I'll survive until the GFS pub run comes out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    I hope we get none and also that the pipes don’t freeze
    Last time was not fun

I sincerely hope that we don't get any snow on this side (though I fear we will get the odd flurry) because we badly need some serious drying after what must have been the most ridiculously humid and dank winter that I can remember.

I can deal with anything cold from an easterly. I have maintained before that a -6.0c in a stiff, dry easterly breeze does not feel as harsh or bitter as a +3.0c from a damper feeling westerly or northwesterly. On the contrary, it feels far more invigorating and healthy.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Daniel2590 wrote: »

when is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Daniel2590 wrote: »

I've never experienced this before - I wish it was Monday.

Weird feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The 12Z ECM brings in -8 uppers on Monday morning and keeps them here (with -16 being the peak) until Monday week.

I'm not convinced about allowing 10 degrees between uppers and surface. It was 4 degrees today at 100m in Kildare and the uppers according to latest GFS reports were -3.
    when is that?

If it upgrades again I think people will start panic buying shovels. Not that there hasn't been any of that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

when is that?

Around 10-11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

when is that?

9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Where is kermit's update? Like what are we paying him for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Serious question

Lots of Tea Lights. There's a myth that Tea Lights can heat a small room they can't but they are handy.

Put about 6 Tea Lights into a square baking dish. Put a terracotta pot upside-down over the candles but sitting on the rim of the baking dish making a sort of chimney. There's a hole in the bottom of those pots (that bottom is now the top). It creates a nice little jet of hot air to warm fingers and toes and the clay pot eventually heats up too which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tealights -pffft!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Refreshed the page, yours was only the second unread post. 1 thank. Hit thanks, 6 thanks appeared.

This forum is busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement