Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

I've experienced the American flag at half mast and on the first day of class, the shock of being given a booklet of what to do during an active shooter but I've also experienced the terror that a vehicle can inflict.

Go to bed. You're confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

This post has been deleted.

Bikes and cars are not designed to kill people, guns on the other hand when used in the manner they are designed for do. Really it's best to stop offering up a stupid analogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was about to write a logical argument for why America needs to get a grip with its gun problem, but what's the point. The loss of life is terrible and for the victims' family and friend to go through such a senseless loss is unbearable, but it'll be out of the public consciousness within a few news cycles until the next one in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Homebird18 wrote: »
    Why ban automatic only why not semi?
    Well I'm not exactly down with the firearm lingo, you can go ahead and include semi-automatic in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I've experienced the American flag at half mast and on the first day of class, the shock of being given a booklet of what to do during an active shooter but I've also experienced the terror that a vehicle can inflict.

Go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

• Registered Users Posts: 53,858 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's such devastating news again. How many more of these do America have to go through before they wake up.

The country is really has ****ed up culture around guns and their police departments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zaph wrote: »
    At exactly what point should we start attacking gun ownership then?

how about tackling the US culture, since it's the actual problem, not guns. how many other first world countries allow reasonably free access to firearms and have nothing even close to the same problems?

The issue here is Americans, not guns*

* - availability of certain rapid fire weapons undoubtedly is a problem as well though

Interestingly gun sales and ownership rates have collapsed recently, so much so Remington has gone bankrupt this week

• Advertisement

Whataboutery doesn't change the fact that the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death. Although considering the idiocy of some people. Thinning the herd may not be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No words, it's just too common now. You just know he was creating his very own Saint Valentine's Day Massacre

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Headshot wrote: »
    It's such devastating news again. How many more of these do America have to go through before they wake up.

The country is really has ****ed up culture around guns and their police departments

They wont, they will never change.

Their plan is to arm teachers and teach them to fight. Whilst reddit and 4chan tell the person with the weapon to group the hostages together for maximum death......

Give everyone a gun isnt the worst option.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/selling-guns-in-the-shadow-of-the-vegas-massacre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Whataboutery doesn't change the fact that the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death.

you might want to tell the Bi-athletes in Korea competing right now about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Media plays a big role.

Describing these scum as "deranged", "evil", "vile", "vicious" etc. along with all the coverage they get is actually glamorising being a shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

The solution is clearly to arm them, that way they can shoot one another before they die on the roads, thus reducing the high accident rate.

dreamers75 wrote:
    Their plan is to arm teachers and teach them to fight. Whilst reddit and 4chan tell the person with the weapon to group the hostages together for maximum death......

Think there was a news report last year or the year before, how a teacher when she was using the toilet accidentally shot herself. Yeah arm the teachers great idea.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A lot of things can be a weapon in the wrong hands. I could stab and kill someone with a screwdriver, so does that mean we should ban screwdrivers? Of course not, that would be absurd. However guns are weapons, so by their very nature they're designed to inflict harm, which means that your analogy is nonsense.

Interestingly gun sales and ownership rates have collapsed recently, so much so Remington has gone bankrupt this week

Watch the sales climb again. Sales after Sandy hook were impressive.

• Advertisement

you might want to tell the Bi-athletes in Korea competing right now about that

Are they using AR 15's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Banning vehicles would have a cataclysmic effect on society. Banning automatic guns from the general population... and a few people will have to find a new hobby.

Comparing them smacks of desperation.

Automatic weapons already are banned aren't they? At least manufacture and sale of them is. Problem is there were already hundreds of thousands in the country which are still in circulation

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Homebird18

how about tackling the US culture, since it's the actual problem, not guns. how many other first world countries allow reasonably free access to firearms and have nothing even close to the same problems?

The issue here is Americans, not guns*

* - availability of certain rapid fire weapons undoubtedly is a problem as well though

Exactly, why do the shooters always pick soft targets like schools/churches? They want to inflict as many casualties as possible with the least amount of risk involved, they crave the attention from the media. Hi capacity magazines should be banned with out a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just put on CNN there it's pretty disgusting the coverage IMO. Parents of students on the phone live reading out the texts they are getting and saying where the kids are hiding and how many are there. The reporter acting concerned while trying to milk as much information out of them as possible. What is wrong with people? I mean, if that was my child it wouldn't occur to me to call the news. Ffs

You'd almost assume these stations have an emergency team consisting of a ground reporter and crew, a helicopter commentary team, two anchors back at the studio and a social media team ready to dispatch to the latest shooting

Enlighten me how many target or competition guns were used to carry out mass shootings in the US since 2013. The target guns they use in the Olympics or sport shooting are not automatic assault rifles. Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Homebird18

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Enlighten me how many target or competition guns were used to carry out mass shootings in the US since 2013. The target guns they use in the Olympics or sport shooting are not automatic assault rifles. Nice try though.

Why are you fixated on automatic weapons? Mass shootings involving automatic weapons account for a very small percentage of overall gun murders in the US? They dont help of course.

Homebird18 wrote:
    Why are you fixated on automatic weapons? Mass shootings involving automatic weapons account for a very small percentage of overall gun murders in the US? They dont help of course.

I think you will find it is quite hard to kill a great number of people with a single action weapon. No fixation tbh, just curious as to why civilians need access to military grade weaponry? Like hunting ducks with an M16 or AR15 seems a bit extreme.

• Advertisement

You mean the sales of new automatics is banned. The point about single shot is the capacity to kill large numbers of people.
    I've served in the military and I can't think of any situation where civilians need to or should have access to auto or semi auto weaponry. As I said though a part of me is happy to see some idiots culled from the herd.

Advertisement