Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

BattleCorp wrote:
    Can you stop trying to put words in my mouth please. I didn't infer 'what's the difference'. I took from your post that you seemed surprised that guns would be raffled in America. I didn't compare guns or anything. I just said that guns are also raffled here.

The only thing that surprised me was a school going ahead with a raffle for a weapon whose type had just been used a few hours earlier to slaughter 17 people. Why you even felt the need to mention a raffle in a target shooting club here in Ireland tbh is a bit of a mystery to me as there is zero comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nope. Read my post #505. I didn't compare it to anything. Just made a statement.

Imagine if banks or schools in Ireland gave prizes of a machete.... In most countries, including Ireland that would be considered bizarre. Particularly when spree killings are heavily associated with the weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The only thing that surprised me was a school going ahead with a raffle for a weapon whose type had just been used a few hours earlier to slaughter 17 people. Why you even felt the need to mention a raffle in a target shooting club here in Ireland tbh is a bit of a mystery to me as there is zero comparison.

America is a huge country. You could probably bet that many schools were raffling such firearms as a fundraising measure. It's totally different to our culture here.

Of course there is a comparison. Some raffles take place in America where firearms are raffled. All I'm saying is that it isn't unusual, as it happens occasionally here.
    pitifulgod wrote: »
    Imagine if banks or schools in Ireland gave prizes of a machete.... In most countries, including Ireland that would be considered bizarre. Particularly when spree killings are heavily associated with the weapon.

Yep, I wouldn't be in favour of schools or banks here giving out prizes of guns either.

BattleCorp wrote:
    Of course there is a comparison. Some raffles take place in America where firearms are raffled. All I'm saying is that it isn't unusual, as it happens occasionally here.

How many schools here raffle weapons?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    How many schools here raffle weapons?

None. But I wasn't talking about schools and I suspect you very well know that. I was just talking about raffles. Why are you labouring the point?

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote:
    None. But I wasn't talking about schools and I suspect you very well know that. I was just talking about raffles. Why are you labouring the point?

I mentioned a school in the states raffling a similar weapon to what was used in the killings a couple of hours later, your response we have raffles here in Ireland. If you feel the point is laboured I suggest you stop responding. Again however despite your attempt there is no comparison between a school raffling a semi automatic weapon and what your target shooting club raffled. Why attempt to make something sound normal which isn't? Actually ignore my question, I'm not engaging with your nonsense any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

handbags-jpg.38525

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And it's begun, at least they sacked the guy. The same thing led to a number of the parents of dead kids at the Sandy Hook school getting death threats for years.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/374734-aid-to-florida-state-lawmaker-shooting-survivors-are-actors-not-students
    An aide to a Florida state lawmaker has been placed on leave after he falsely claimed that two of the survivors of last week's school shooting in Parkland, Fla,. who appeared in a CNN interview were actors.

Tampa Bay Times Washington bureau chief Alex Leary said in a tweet on Tuesday that a staffer to state Rep. Shawn Harrison (R) emailed him saying, "Both kids in the picture are not students here but actors that travel to various crisis when they happen."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Billy86 wrote: »
    And it's begun, at least they sacked the guy. The same thing led to a number of the parents of dead kids at the Sandy Hook school getting death threats for years.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/374734-aid-to-florida-state-lawmaker-shooting-survivors-are-actors-not-students

Infowars has a lot to answer for. They helped popularize this kind of nonsense. They went after the Sandy hook survivors in a big way. I think it fair to say anyone who does this is an awful human being.

Conservative "documentary" film maker Dinesh D'souza (a convicted criminal btw) slagged off some of the survivors on Twitter after Florida failed to ban assault rifles in a recent vote. Some of these guys have no humanity, I think it fair to say. This goes for Dinesh D'souza especially so.

Gun nuts are rather unpleasant people. The term gun nuts seem appropriate consider the level of crap those guys are coming up with. Lashing out at the victims, people who play video games (yeah they tried that old chestnut) and the mentally ill, as opposed to accepting that the problem is there dangerous "hobby".

wes wrote: »

Gun nuts are rather unpleasant people. The term gun nuts seem appropriate consider the level of crap those guys are coming up with. Lashing out at the victims, people who play video games (yeah they tried that old chestnut) and the mentally ill, as opposed to accepting that the problem is there dangerous "hobby".

Who are the gun nuts? Everybody that owns firearms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is it safe to go back into Facebook yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Who are the gun nuts? Everybody that owns firearms?

People going on about crisis actors and attacking victims of the most recent mass shooting. I taught that was pretty clear from my post. I singled those people out specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

wes wrote: »
    People going on about crisis actors and attacking victims of the most recent mass shooting. I taught that was pretty clear from my post. I singled those people out specifically.

Also those who rush off to buy guns when a mass shooting occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

This is the FUCKING president of the United States:

Christ, it's comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3qLzxQlhk

Another one yesterday.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/alabama-school-shooting-leaves-one-student-dead-two-others-wounded-1821058
    One student was killed and another teen was injured when a gun discharged at an Alabama high school Wednesday in what police described as an accidental shooting.

The incident took place at Huffman High School in Birmingham, Alabama, between 3:15 and 3:30 p.m., and sparked a brief lockdown at the school, according to police and school officials. Birmingham Police Chief Orlando Wilson said the shooting left a 17-year-old girl dead and a 17-year-old boy wounded.

"At this particular time, we're considering it accidental until the investigation takes us elsewhere," the chief said at an evening news conference. He would not say if the suspected shooter was a student, but added: "It's not a situation where someone from the outside came into the school."

That's at least the second accidental death this year from students bringing guns into school.

I see Florida have just about passed a law that allows certain school employees (including teachers if they have a security forces background) to be armed. All it needs now is sign off from the Governor and that isn't a certainty. He has the power to veto it and could do so as he is against some of the provisions in it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43325913

To the shock of absolutely nobody, the survivors of this ordeal have been receiving death threats from those spurred on from the likes of the NRA ads calling on Americans to become terrorists. Fair play to them, as they have been since it happened, in making fools of the NRA and calling out the terrorists at the head of the organisation for what they are.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-hogg-emma-gonzalez-parkland-florida-shooting-survivors-nra-threats/
    Both Hogg and Gonzalez, who refer to themselves as members of the "mass shooting generation," say they've received death threats in response to their efforts in launching the movement. But they aren't letting threats deter them from making progress.

"There's always been people who are going to want to harm us," Gonzalez said. "I'm not going to pretend that this like opened my eyes to a cruel and harmful world ... When it comes right down to it, we already knew that this world was going to be tough. So getting death threats like that doesn't really faze us."

Asked about the NRA's response to their movement, Hogg responded: "I think it just goes to prove what exactly they are. I don't think NRA members are bad people at all. I think they're responsible gun owners that want to become politically active and make their voices heard in this democracy, and I think that's an excellent thing.

"I think the problem comes in when it's people at the top of this organization that don't listen to their constituents and continue to scare people into buying more guns, creating more violence, so they can scare more people and sell more guns," he continued. "The people at the top of the NRA are no longer working for the people that are in their organization. They're working on behalf of the gun lobby."

oth Hogg and Gonzalez say the NRA has reached out to them, but not in a positive way.

"The way that they've been reaching out to us is basically threatening us," Hogg said.

"They've been instigating things," Gonzalez added. "And then, when we reply, they like shy back away. They can dish it out but they can't take it."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

*4 years later*

Shooter has been sentenced to death by a jury in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He hasn’t he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not sentenced to death. Aggravating factors were not deemed to be stronger than the mitigating factors. Several websites and twitter accounts got this wrong because they didn't listen to or understand the verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

This boy could have and should have been intercepted at some point before this tragedy happened. Definitely not a case for the death penalty IMO.

It's kind of sad I can't even remember which one this was even though I apparently posted in this thread.

Advertisement