Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Homebird18

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I think you will find it is quite hard to kill a great number of people with a single action weapon. No fixation tbh, just curious as to why civilians need access to military grade weaponry? Like hunting ducks with an M16 or AR15 seems a bit extreme.

I agree 100% that there is no need for a civilian to own a fully functioning automatic weapon. I could be wrong but the weapon used in the shooting sounds semi auto to me, so there you go its not that hard to inflict multiple casulties, i still believe high volume mahazines need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Whataboutery doesn't change the fact that the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death. Although considering the idiocy of some people. Thinning the herd may not be a bad idea.
    Are they using AR 15's?
    No, but I'm sure you knew that. But what does that have to do with anything, you stated the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death, are you just back tracking to automatic weapons now?

Guns have multiple purposes, most of them designed to kill animals or indeed people, but not all, no more than all knives or drugs being designed solely to inflict harm or death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Homebird18 wrote:
    I agree 100% that there is no need for a civilian to own a fully functioning automatic weapon. I could be wrong but the weapon used in the shooting sounds semi auto to me, so there you go its not that hard to inflict multiple casulties, i still believe high volume mahazines need to be addressed.

One of the weapons allegedly used was an AR 15 it can fire 12 to 15 rounds a minute similar to the M16.

Guns have multiple purposes, most of them designed to kill animals or indeed people, but not all, no more than all knives or drugs being designed solely to inflict harm or death

Guns were invented for the sole purpose of killing, target pistols and sport rifles are a different matter. I'm sure you can inform me how many mass killings have been carried out by bearers of either target pistols or sport rifles such as they are using in the winter Olympics?

E mac wrote: »

Offers an insight into the cultural problem. Any talk of bans or restrictions and people go mental and buy stockpiles of them for no real reason other than "you can't take them away from me now", no threat of removing them and people go back to not really caring too much and not buying guns for no reason - like most countries.

It's easy to buy a gun over here in NZ, or Aus for example, as long as you have a reason. To get a permit is easy, as long as you have a reason. Reasons being hunting, pest control or target shooting. Prove x,y and z and you get your permit. It has the tiny edge of difficulty which people who don't want or need one don't bother but it still stupidly simple and easy that if you want one you can get one. Don't read about mass shootings every other day from this part of the world, do you?

• Advertisement

Not at all, it wasn't me that mentioned the Olympics. Not me dear boy engaged in whataboutery. First it was bikes and cars then the Olympics.....

One of the weapons allegedly used was an AR 15 it can fire 12 to 15 rounds a minute similar to the M16.

I assume you mean 12 to 15 a second. Even still the shots in the videos are not from an automatic weapon, if you served your time you will know how difficult it is to get an automatic weapon to fire single bursts as heard in the videos. I fired an AR15 in Florida not to long ago but it was chambered to fire 9mm rounds at a semi rate so there's another possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

The use of a motorized vehicle can be changed to inflict harm as we found out in Nice.
    Just like the use of a gun can change, sport and leisure.

Are you from Merica by any chance?!

Guns were invented for the sole purpose of killing, target pistols and sport rifles are a different matter.

how and why given you said the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death?
    Clearly it's not the sole purpose, so stop being obtuse about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

CNN love showing the footage from inside. Who wants or needs to see that.

• Advertisement

Homebird18 wrote:
    I assume you mean 12 to 15 a second. Even still the shots in the videos are not from an automatic weapon, if you served your time you will know how difficult it is to get an automatic weapon to fire single bursts as heard in the videos. I fired an AR15 in Florida not to long ago but it was chambered to fire 9mm rounds at a semi rate so there's another possibility.

You assume wrong. Sustained fire is 12 to 15 a minute it's not fully auto. It still begs the question of need for a civilian population to access to what is essentially a military weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

This post has been deleted.

When you say here, where do you mean?

how and why given you said the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death? Clearly it's not the sole purpose, so stop being obtuse about it.

Guns were designed at their inception to kill or maim, target pistols etc are a variation of the main concept. Nothing obtuse at all. Again deal with my question how many mass shootings can be attributed to bearers of target pistols or target rifles?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Homebird18 wrote:

Sorry to post your comment again. The Irish army has the Steyr Aug configured for single shot eventhough it is automatic( one of several weapons I trained with). Achieved by a button incorporated in the trigger so not hard at all as you suggest.

joeysoap wrote:
    When you say here, where do you mean?

Murica

You assume wrong. Sustained fire is 12 to 15 a minute it's not fully auto. It still begs the question of need for a civilian population to access to what is essentially a military weapon.

Sustained fire is a compromise between saving ammo and keeping aimed fire on a target, we are talking about a mass shooter here whos primary goal is to cause as many casualties as possible not pick out his targets.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Step 1: Active shooter
    Step 2: Injury/death listing
    Step 3: Prayers
    Step 4: Outrage
    Step 5: "Guns aren't the problem"
    Step 6: Meaningless argument without any legislative change
    Step 7: Reporting peters off

Step 1: Active shooter...

Thanks for answering a question I didn't ask. I asked in mass shootings since 2013. Btw being in the military only makes wonder why civilians need access to military grade weapons and the use of same.

Sorry to post your comment again. The Irish army has the Steyr Aug configured for single shot eventhough it is automatic( one of several weapons I trained with). Achieved by a button incorporated in the trigger so not hard at all as you suggest.

Ok but again why would the shooter not engage the ALO and use the weapon on full auto as opposed to semi auto as heard in the video?

• Advertisement

Homebird18 wrote:
    Ok but again why would the shooter not engage the ALO and use the weapon on full auto as opposed to semi auto as heard in the video?

Maybe he didn't know how to switch over? I have seen guys not able to release the safety when under pressure. Can't say I want to wonder too much as to the reasoning of this idiot or his actions. Happily he lives in the states along with most other nut jobs with access to these type of weapons and I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Interestingly gun sales and ownership rates have collapsed recently, so much so Remington has gone bankrupt this week
    oh no, it'll be Magnum PI next...

you might want to tell the Bi-athletes in Korea competing right now about that :rolleyes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_patrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Lowlife scum.

Nothing obtuse at all. Again deal with my question how many mass shootings can be attributed to bearers of target pistols or target rifles?
    I'd guess at none, so what does that have to do with anything. You stated the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death, explain to me how you see an Olympic rifle's only purpose being to harm or kill given you are obvious aware of what it is actually used for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Noveight wrote: »
    Nice was an accident? And other terrorist acts using vehicles were accidents?

Of the total use of motor vehicles, what percentage are used for crime?

Of the total use of guns, what percentage are used for crime?

Throw an estimate on those two numbers, compare them and then you might see why you're being ridiculous.

Damned iPad ate my response, after spending a half-hour looking it up. I thought it was worth checking, as I don’t recall anyone ever doing it before. The most surprising result I got is that cars are used for suicide about as often as firearms are (Carbon monoxide, usually). There are about as many cars as firearms in the US, in total they kill about as many people. (Cars kill more if you count the suicides)

So, the short version is that the FBI indicates some 8,000 murders by firearm, and an additional 285,000 “non fatal victimizations” with a firearm, which includes about 128,000 robberies, and 135,000 aggravated assaults. So, somewhere under a half-million. https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv15.pdf

Only 300 folks were murdered by car, plus 11,000 or so DUI deaths. Probably a number of accidents were caused by improper lane changes, illegal u-turns, texting while driving, and whatever other “crimes”, (3,500for distracted driving), (basically idiot driving), but we’ll ignore those. To my astonishment, both Bureau of Transportation and MADD indicate some 110million incidents of DUI in the US a year, with 1.1 million arrests. I have been unable offhand to find any statistic showing crimes in which a vehicle was an integral part (eg getaway car for a robbery, kidnapping, used to transport drugs, or used in a burglary to transport ill-gotten goods), that sort of thing. I would not be surprised to discover a reasonably large percentage of firearms crimes also involved a vehicle as a result, plus add those not involving a firearm.

So the bottom line seems to be that cars are used for crimes more often in general, and used to put people at risk in commission of a crime more often. I learn something.

The consensus for Remington’s bankruptcy in the firearms community isn’t that there is a downturn in demand for rifles, it’s that they have failed to update their product line and provide firearms which the consumer wants.

Yet you haven't contradicted me or answered my question about mass killings with automatic or semiautomatic weapons since 2013 btw the AR 15 that was used in this killing a similar weapon or variant has been used in 9 other mass killings. It was you who brought up the topic of cars and bikes in China, and you want to accuse me of nonsense .......

I'd guess at none, so what does that have to do with anything. You stated the sole purpose of a gun is to inflict harm or death, explain to me how you see an Olympic rifle's only purpose being to harm or kill given you are obvious aware of what it is actually used for.

I have addressed you several times about the Olympics and the weapons used I asked you a question so far you have refused to answer. I can only assume it would highlight a level of ignorance if you did. Maybe you right in avoiding it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I like the USA, believe it or not, but Jesus it is one fcuked up country.

Advertisement