Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I like the USA, believe it or not, but Jesus it is one fcuked up country.

The country is fine, it's the inhabitants that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Well there's a big difference between a semi-automatic Ar15 and a point 22 magazineless single shot bolt action target rifle. No civilian should have access to automatic, semi-automatic, magazine/revolver, or concealable (i.e. handgun) weapons, ever!

Maybe because I asked a specific question? But you decided to answer one I didn't ask...wonder why?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It still begs the question of need for a civilian population to access to what is essentially a military weapon.

Yep. Plus the bump stock makes a complete ass of the law related to the banning of automatic weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Murica

Sorry, I didn’t mean you, I meant the panjandrums. Sounded like he talking about living in America.

joeysoap wrote:
    Sorry, I didn’t mean you, I meant the panjandrums. Sounded like he talking about living in America.

That's who I was referring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That's who I was referring too.

I get it now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The country is fine, it's the inhabitants that are the problem.

Aye, I remember once being on the beer with a Canadian fella in Nevada once, this typical redneck comes in, seems alright but the barman won't serve him, leaves in a strop. Canuck says to me, back in Moose Jaw ( that's where he was from, how cool is that?) or in Donegal that would be the last we'll see of him, but wait and see. Sure enough, the bucko comes back in the bar with a shotgun, didn't get too far mind, but totally different mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have a friend in Pompano/Deerfield who only found out about it because I texted her. 30 minutes later the school she works in was put on lockdown. There was a delay notifying other schools so I assume at the time of Sky news breaking the story they still weren’t sure what was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have addressed you several times about the Olympics and the weapons used
    no you haven't, you've ignored the question repeatedly.
    Is the sole purpose of an olympic target rifle to kill? If so how do you come to that conclusion. The origin of guns is not relevant to the discussion.

I asked you a question so far you have refused to answer.
    I answered in the post you just quoted. But just in case: I assume zero but have no intention of checking since it is totally irrelevant to the discussion
    I can only assume it would highlight a level of ignorance if you did. Maybe you right in avoiding it.
    Ignorance of what, some cryptic point you are trying to make?

Ignorance of what, some cryptic point you are trying to make?

I don't argue with fools lest onlookers can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another day, another shooting.

Leaders and politicians can say whatever they want, but as long as they do nothing to change it, it will continue ad nauseum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yep. Plus the bump stock makes a complete ass of the law related to the banning of automatic weapons.

Out of mild curiousity, are such devices banned in any other country? If I were to look at French law, for example, is there a paragraph/line that says "bump stocks, as defined by... are forbidden"?

The reason I ask is that they don't actually modify the weapon's action, which is why they were not regulated by the ATF the previous time it came up. The problem is in passing effective legislation which defines them. For example, this rifle uses a perfectly ordinary wooden stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUF-eqSliA . All the bump stock does is make easier a technique which can be learned with a little practice. Basically, training wheels on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't argue with fools lest onlookers can't tell the difference.
    I, unfortunately, seem to have made that mistake already.

Anyway it's become clear you just want to make stupid, unverifiable claims and not actual address any point that going on here so I won't be bothering any more with you.

so I won't be bothering any more with you.

Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

According to cnn the suspect passed a background check to buy the gun at 18yo but its illegal to buy a handgun under 21.
    Baffling law really

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Schools in the States do shooter drills where the kids practice what to do when there is an active gunman on campus i.e. go to a designated hiding place or hide under their tables and stay quiet.

I'm currently in a government lab and we have to do active shooter drills. Not gun control because that would be silly, just drills for when the unavoidable happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Here's the suspect

So Cruz was previously identified as a threat( being socially awkward probably futhered his isolation and sense of grievance) to the school but was still allowed access to military grade weaponry.....what could possibly go wrong?.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Douglas High has a place students call “the Emo Gazebo,” he said. “That’s where all the kids that are considered weird or not accepted sat. Kids at the Emo Gazebo didn’t even accept him there. He was just an outcast...He didn’t have any friends.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

and they wonder why these things happen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably a kid that was bullied all his life by other kids.

I don't think its fair just to call him a weirdo. He's a weirdo for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/videos/2373361312683885/

Dey Turk awer guns type comments below it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a Christian gun that can't be used by Muslims.

Maybe gun manufacturers could make a version that won't work on children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Like others have said, when nothing happened after Sandy hook nothing was ever going to happen moving forward. And when the NRA have ao much influence one one half of politics ad have a rake of national ads going that literally advocate violence, you can be sure it's going nowhere either.

Think someone mentioned it earlier that as more and more senseless shootings have occurred, the amount of posts in a thread about it have dwindled.

Americans have no real interest in making changes to stop this carnage and sadly, other countries have begun to shrug their shoulders too. Why should we bother showing any empathy when your opinion is belittled with “cars kill too” “you don’t know the difference in an auto and semi auto” deflect, deflect, deflect.

Other people have stopped caring and that’s a real tragedy of Americans own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Out of mild curiousity, are such devices banned in any other country? If I were to look at French law, for example, is there a paragraph/line that says "bump stocks, as defined by... are forbidden"?
    We don't know that this guy used a bump stock or anything like that, do we? This article includes a discussion of the audio, which seems to suggest he was not. The AR-15 is basically a semi-automatic "civilian" version of the M16, and can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, with better accuracy than if on full auto.

There should be no illusion that the lack of a full auto mode makes a weapon any less dangerous. Less indiscriminate, perhaps.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just listening to RTE; A depressed loner that didn't fit in with his schoolmates and had an unhealthy obsession with firearms.

He set off the fire alarm to get everyone into the corridors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Think someone mentioned it earlier that as more and more senseless shootings have occurred, the amount of posts in a thread about it have dwindled.

Americans have no real interest in making changes to stop this carnage and sadly, other countries have begun to shrug their shoulders too. Why should we bother showing any empathy when your opinion is belittled with “cars kill too” “you don’t know the difference in an auto and semi auto” deflect, deflect, deflect.

Other people have stopped caring and that’s a real tragedy of Americans own making.
    +1 Regular mass murder seems to be a price they are willing to pay for the insane gun culture over there. Sad for the victims, but nothing will ever change and there will be another massacre along shortly.

Advertisement