Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There's a Christian gun that can't be used by Muslims.

Maybe gun manufacturers could make a version that won't work on children.

That is actually depressing...someone that backwards making and selling guns...Merica

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shaunr68 wrote:
    +1 Regular mass murder seems to be a price they are willing to pay for the insane gun culture over there. Sad for the victims, but nothing will ever change and there will be another massacre along shortly.

Again, never underestimate the power of the lobbyists, I suspect if the majority wanted to change these laws in America, they simply may not be able to

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just listening to RTE; A depressed loner that didn't fit in with his schoolmates and had an unhealthy obsession with firearms.

He set off the fire alarm to get everyone into the corridors

I'm always left unimpressed by these school shooters. Why do that? He should know the active shooter drill, start shooting, go to any congregation area and do most of it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Noveight wrote: »
    Of the total use of motor vehicles, what percentage are used for crime?

Of the total use of guns, what percentage are used for crime?

Throw an estimate on those two numbers, compare them and then you might see why you're being ridiculous.

Used as battering rams, getaway cars, used to transport illegal guns, people and drugs, there are a hell of a lot more cars used for crime than guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

He is probably autistic and so cant relate toother people and they cant relate to him. He was adopted too so may have had allsorts of attachment issues relating to that. Is anyone studying these lone male killers and coming up with a common thread of them being loners. It isnt fair to assume he was bullied, if he was very odd and obsessed with guns the other students may have been afraid of him. They had predicted if anyone would shoot up the school it would be him.

The school was supposed to havevery good security in place and yet he walked in with guns. He had been expelled previously so would have known the layout I suppose and the weak security links.

He appears to be a total waste of space and it would have been better for everyone if he had just taken his ownlife.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote:
    He appears to be a total waste of space and it would have been better for everyone if he had just taken his ownlife.

Or maybe resources should have been put in place to prevent this individual from doing this is the first place, and maybe these resources could be used to prevent similar future events?

Out of mild curiousity, are such devices banned in any other country? If I were to look at French law, for example, is there a paragraph/line that says "bump stocks, as defined by... are forbidden"?

The reason I ask is that they don't actually modify the weapon's action, which is why they were not regulated by the ATF the previous time it came up. The problem is in passing effective legislation which defines them. For example, this rifle uses a perfectly ordinary wooden stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUF-eqSliA . All the bump stock does is make easier a technique which can be learned with a little practice. Basically, training wheels on a bike.

Bump firing without a bump stock reduces accuracy IMO. He's performing that action lying down as well along with the barrel support. Standing up and moving and attempting the bump fire technique at the same time reduces accuracy by alot yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdAhTxyP64

The bump stock restores this accuracy to a certain extent which at the end of the day increases the potential casualty rate. I think they are against the spirit of the automatic weapons ban and should be dealt with properly though legislation, though as you mention it could be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Offers an insight into the cultural problem. Any talk of bans or restrictions and people go mental and buy stockpiles of them for no real reason other than "you can't take them away from me now", no threat of removing them and people go back to not really caring too much and not buying guns for no reason - like most countries.

It's easy to buy a gun over here in NZ, or Aus for example, as long as you have a reason. To get a permit is easy, as long as you have a reason. Reasons being hunting, pest control or target shooting. Prove x,y and z and you get your permit. It has the tiny edge of difficulty which people who don't want or need one don't bother but it still stupidly simple and easy that if you want one you can get one. Don't read about mass shootings every other day from this part of the world, do you?

It’s a bit like the ban of sales of alcohol on Good Friday, massive stockpiling. We won’t see anything like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

shaunr68 wrote: »
    +1 Regular mass murder seems to be a price they are willing to pay for the insane gun culture over there. Sad for the victims, but nothing will ever change and there will be another massacre along shortly.

there was quite a damning qoute this mornign along the ines of the Principal saying "we run regular drills for this type of incident"

I mean....that says it all to me!

Riskymove wrote:
    there was quite a damning qoute this mornign along the ines of the Principal saying "we run regular drills for this type of incident"

Makes a lot of sense really, may have prevented more deaths and injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Wanderer78 wrote: »

My point is that it is damining that they actually need to do this....they are in a country that expects mass shootings in schools

and no one cares enough to change anything....they want their guns and automatic ones at that etc etc

A 19 year old with a troubled history can legitimately buy a AR 15 or whatever and do this

and another one will do it next month.....and no one cares

Riskymove wrote:
    and no one cares enough to change anything....they want their guns and automatic ones at that etc etc

I disagree with this statement, I suspect many Americans care deeply about this issue, and the numbers could be growing, but since it's not a very democratic society, making changes can be and is hard to do there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As I say in every one of these threads; the American public have decided that in a cost benefit analysis, these mass shootings are a tolerable consequence of their right to bear arms. This is how they wanna live.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Here's the suspect
    NIMAN wrote:
    I don't think its fair just to call him a weirdo. He's a weirdo for a reason.

I know it's not popular to say but I think it is clear that he probably has either mental health issues or a learning difficulties. If he was that socially awkward, he wasn't normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Government: Guns are banned! Give us all your guns!

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it.

Government: Don't kill people and go on mass shootings!

People: Nah, fùck the world and fùck existence and fùck being itself.

Banning guns will do jack lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it

If only that were the case, the actual reaction is to threaten violence from the NRA all the way down. The NRA have actually now upped that to calling for violence from the public those who speaks out in opposition of the politicians they fund. This kind of sh*t has a lot to answer for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wish i could say i was surprised by the news, but at this stage, mass shootings are just part of every day life in America. As someone else mentioned, if they did nothing after Sandy Hook, lawmakers clearly have no interest (or the wrong kind of interest - $$) in not having anything change. Gun lobbyists will make damn sure to find something else to blame, other than the high powered rifle that he should never have been allowed to own (because who the **** needs a god damn assault rifle :mad:).

And it will happen again. And again. And again. But Children's lives are apparently a price they are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

tretorn wrote: »
    He is probably autistic and so cant relate toother people and they cant relate to him
    At this point let me be the first to say you really haven't got a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it.

Government: Don't kill people and go on mass shootings!

People: Nah, fùck the world and fùck existence and fùck being itself.

Banning guns will do jack lads.

How would this shooter have acquired a gun he could afford in that scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Its time for the American love affair with guns to end
    Its time to change the mindset
    How many more children's lives need to be tragically cut short for this to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Maybe not in this case the suspect was a student and had participated in those drills. So he knew where everyone would be.

Sin City wrote: »
    Its time for the American love affair with guns to end
    Its time to change the mindset
    How many more children's lives need to be tragically cut short for this to happen

It was time for that 19 years ago if not earlier, to be honest at this point short of a very violent civil war (ironically involving a lot of guns) it's not going to change in most of our lifetimes I would reckon.

Billy86 wrote: »
    If only that were the case, the actual reaction is to threaten violence from the NRA all the way down. The NRA have actually now upped that to calling for violence from the public those who speaks out in opposition of the politicians they fund. This kind of sh*t has a lot to answer for.

Exactly, and that's why banning guns/restricting purchases of guns ain't going to do anything. Think of the NRA as a manifestation of the consciousness of people who want their second amendments intact.

There's more guns than people in America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

If I was a mass shooter lad, it would be easy as pie to get some weapons, even if there was a blanket ban on guns tomorrow. If I'm that committed, if I'm that much of a sick fùck, I'll find something, I'll figure something out.

So suppose you ban all guns or restrict the purchases. The ban will fly over people's heads. Joke law. Guards here can't even stop lads smoking a joint over here like.

So to properly enforce the law, the government will have to start going into people's houses and take the guns by force. That's Soviet Union what the did level right there.

Gun laws will never, ever work, when your country is flooded with them already, unless you're willing to go the whole way.

laugh wrote: »
    How would this shooter have acquired a gun he could afford in that scenario?

There's 300+ million guns floating around America.

He would have found something if he wanted to easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The discussions about gunss are never fully honest. The main reason people use guns is because they're tremendous fun and give people a sense of power.

Home security is another reason but would you honestly shoot someone who breaks into your house? I probably wouldn't. You'd never sleep peacefully again if you killed someone.

And safety against the government is the most ludicrous reason of all. They just gave their ministry of defence an additional 150ish billion dollars over the next 2 years. You and your handgun don't really matter Vs the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was talking to an American parent who had just moved to Ireland from Texas and he said he liked the Irish system as his kids didn't have to do firearms attack drills.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

My only surprise is that others are surprised by this latest attack, the 8th school shooting in the USA this year.
    To be honest if the Americans are happy to have their kids slaughtered then why should the rest of the world care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

baylah17 wrote: »
    My only surprise is that others are surprised by this latest attack, the 8th school shooting in the USA this year.
    To be honest if the Americans are happy to have their kids slaughtered then why should the rest of the world care.

that number might be exaggerated , they include suicides which may even happen in the middle of the night but 1 is too many in fairness

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Exactly, and that's why banning guns/restricting purchases of guns ain't going to do anything. Think of the NRA as a manifestation of the consciousness of people who want their second amendments intact.

There's more guns than people in America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

If I was a mass shooter lad, it would be easy as pie to get some weapons, even if there was a blanket ban on guns tomorrow. If I'm that committed, if I'm that much of a sick fùck, I'll find something, I'll figure something out.

So suppose you ban all guns or restrict the purchases. The ban will fly over people's heads. Joke law. Guards here can't even stop lads smoking a joint over here like.

So to properly enforce the law, the government will have to start going into people's houses and take the guns by force. That's Soviet Union what the did level right there.

Gun laws will never, ever work, when your country is flooded with them already, unless you're willing to go the whole way.

and it also takes the will of the people (most notably, the gun owners) to do so. Australia and the UK were never on the level of ownership or fetishisation that the US is for firearms, but after Dunblane and the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania in the mid 90s, gun ownership declined sharply if I recall.

By comparison, in the US following Sandy Hook, gun owners and the NRA got incredibly aggressive against the idea, literally calling for more guns in schools as their response and also the parents of the children became hounded by death threats from people convinced it was a false flag conspiracy to take away their guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

I know it's not popular to say but I think it is clear that he probably has either mental health issues or a learning difficulties. If he was that socially awkward, he wasn't normal.

Multitudes of kids throughput the world have mental health issues/learning difficulties and are socially awkward but they don't shoot up their schools...... I wonder where the problem lies..

Advertisement