Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Bollocks

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite as ridiculous as Easter. I mean think about it - chocolate in the shape of an egg. How did this happen?

Where do you think chocolate comes from??

Well, I lost my place on the sofa. Went to the kitchen and came back to himself stretched out and snoring. Back to sitting at the end again <sigh>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Well, I lost my place on the sofa. Went to the kitchen and came back to himself stretched out and snoring. Back to sitting at the end again <sigh>

At least he'll awake to a nice clean kitchen.

Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

faceman wrote: »
    Where do you think chocolate comes from??

Chocolate penis's ?

limnam wrote: »
    At least he'll awake to a nice clean kitchen.

Bless.

He can make his own sandwiches now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We don't do Valentine's, sometimes we might get each other a card and a present but usually we don't. My missus gets me little gifts throughout the year and I do the same for her and we do birthdays in a big way. We also celebrate the day we started going out and the day we got married so I think that's enough celebrating. Deep down inside though I'm a big soft romantic and wouldn't mind a surprise but I'd never say it to her!

Yeah, the above days are more important because they are personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

It’s imporrant to rememner that Valentine’s Day is a difficult day for a lot of people....

particularly those in relationships .....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Chocolate is never ridiculous.
    Never

Now I want choccers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'll jump at any excuse/reason to show my wife how much I love her and Valentine's is as good a reason as any ........... for those who want to be negative about Valentine's Day, go right ahead ............. your gloomy outlook won't make my wife's chocolates taste any less sweet, her roses smell any less fragrant or her smile any less magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

worded wrote: »
    It’s imporrant to rememner that Valentine’s Day is a difficult day for a lot of people....

Thank you. I choked on my tea but it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I got you a dildo
    Leave me alone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You seem to be missing the point. Most people here who object to Valentine's Day believe in making their other half happy - all the time. Not just on the days Hallmark tells you to.

I worked evening shifts for years (and still do, often), it always left me bewildered when stopping in my local garage on the way home, to see (mainly men, actually pretty much exclusively men) queuing at the till with flowers and a card in hand grabbing a last minute Valentine's Day present before getting home to the missus. What in the f*cking world is "romantic" about that??

I would hate to think someone I am with would feel duty bound to partake in his nonsense on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    You seem to be missing the point. Most people here who object to Valentine's Day believe in making their other half happy - all the time. Not just on the days Hallmark tells you to.

I worked evening shifts for years (and still do, often), it always left me bewildered when stopping in my local garage on the way home, to see (mainly men, actually pretty much exclusively men) queuing at the till with flowers and a card in hand grabbing a last minute Valentine's Day present before getting home to the missus. What in the f*cking world is "romantic" about that??

I would hate to think someone I am with would feel duty bound to partake in his nonsense on my behalf.

I think there are two kinds of people who "do" Valentine's.

The people who feel duty bound because their other half would be in a pisser if they didn't put the effort it.

And then the people who actually enjoy the cheesiness of it all.

There's absolutely no harm in being the latter, the former is a load of bollox though. I'd hate for someone to feel they had to acknowledge the day for me, that is completely and utterly unromantic but if it's something a couple enjoy doing then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

I think there are two kinds of people who "do" Valentine's.

So, in general
    The people who feel duty bound because their other half would be in a pisser if they didn't put the effort it.

ie Men
    And then the people who actually enjoy the cheesiness of it all.

ie Women

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

newport2 wrote: »
    So, in general

ie Men

ie Women

:pac:

Well if this thread is anything to go by, then it's actually the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

Mate sent me this ....

Anyone lonely on St VD days can take solace with this meme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

If you have to go to the cliched effort of doing something massively over the top then you probably dont know your other half properly.
    However, if what they want/expect on Valentines is something massively over the top then you should reconsider being with them as they are too easily manipulated by marketing and will always chase romance via presents/large gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Story on radio yesterday of an American couple.
    When the man first bought Valentine's chocolates for his wife, they told him if he brought the box back the next year they would discount the cost of the box from the sale.
    He's been using the same box, going to the same shop for 39 years.

I thought that was a nice story, bit sad in that she now has dementia but the box is at least a physical memory of their time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭sporina

worded wrote: »

and for those who have recently lost a loved one.. which a friend of mine has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

sporina wrote: »
    and for those who have recently lost a loved one.. which a friend of mine has

His joke doesn't seem as funny anymore.

Advertisement