Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Bollocks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I love getting a card on Valentine's, always have. I actually started to cry this morning when I opened mine. I think they are so sweet and old-fashioned.

I don't see the need for a 'present' though. Depending how the money situation is, roses are always nice but should not be bought unless we are going through an unusually flush phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭limnam

Ive never taken part in VDay. It just doesn't appeal.

All that chocolate, flowers, dinner, cards. ridin'

Sounds awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Got chocs and a card, however, if someone does not want to take part I would be all for it, but not if they were making a big deal of not taking part if that makes any sense, plus it should be about more than romantic love.

Don't get the going out for dinner though.

mariaalice wrote: »

Don't get the going out for dinner though.

Yep a night off cooking dinner and eating out with your pinky heart loved one.

Just odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newport2

Katgurl wrote: »
    I love getting a card on Valentine's, always have. I actually started to cry this morning when I opened mine.

Me too. Started blubbering when I opened the card she gave me because I had just realised I hadn't got her one....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

anna080 wrote: »
    I got a card and we went for dinner last weekend. Bit of ridin later and sure that'll do me :D
    HA HA HA HA HA LOL ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

beleive it or not perma, its virtually impossible to live outside of the capitalist system in the modern age, it would probably quickly lead to starvation, among-st other things. its perfectly fine to criticise a system and live within it to, many have done it, many continue to do it. capitalism has done some great things for mankind, but it is not the ultimate, it is not the most perfect system we have ever produced, and it actually has the potential to lead to our ultimate demise. i would mirror steve keens opinion on it, capitalism is here to stay no matter what we think, do or say, but i would add, we need to tame this beast, or it will ultimately destroy us. again id agree with deirdre mccloskey, most would chose to live in a capitalist society, including myself, as some of the alternatives simply are just too hard for many different reasons. i would also agree with some commentators, the problem is in fact our form of capitalism, i.e. neoliberialism, i.e it is time for us to try alternative types of capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

limnam wrote: »
    All that chocolate, flowers, dinner, cards. ridin'

Sounds awful

Riding is for everyday, not just VDay.
    I don't like chocolate.I don't like forced imported cut flowers. I suppose I just don't like being given the impersonal designated stuff like everyone else, just because it's supposed to happen.
    Sorry, I sound like a stuck up cow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They removed our hooker allowance :mad:

Not mine. I'll give you 5 of my hooker tokens if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not mine. I'll give you 5 of my hooker tokens if you like.

Fine but no matter how many times you ask you cannot touch my bottom :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I'd generally agree there, what I'm not fond of is having a particular set date for these types of things since it makes it kind of false to do little through the year followed by these 2-3 HUGE gestures on the birthday, Valentines and Christmas. The whole romantic angle to me gets flushed down the toilet by it running on such a strict schedule of 'today is the day we do the thing', there being zero sense of spontaneity and so on... it comes across as more of a formal procession of sorts. It's all very boring.

I like to get the odd big gift or holiday here or there for the girlfriend, but I prefer to do it at a completely random and unexpected time.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    beleive it or not perma, its virtually impossible to live outside of the capitalist system in the modern age, it would probably quickly lead to starvation, among-st other things. its perfectly fine to criticise a system and live within it to, many have done it, many continue to do it. capitalism has done some great things for mankind, but it is not the ultimate, it is not the most perfect system we have ever produced, and it actually has the potential to lead to our ultimate demise. i would mirror steve keens opinion on it, capitalism is here to stay no matter what we think, do or say, but i would add, we need to tame this beast, or it will ultimately destroy us. again id agree with deirdre mccloskey, most would chose to live in a capitalist society, including myself, as some of the alternatives simply are just too hard for many different reasons. i would also agree with some commentators, the problem is in fact our form of capitalism, i.e. neoliberialism, i.e it is time for us to try alternative types of capitalism.

Thinly veiled I don't like Cadbury's Milk Tray post

Riding is for everyday, not just VDay.

Sure, so ride on valentines day.
    I don't like chocolate.I don't like forced imported cut flowers. I suppose I just don't like being given the impersonal designated stuff like everyone else, just because it's supposed to happen.
    Sorry, I sound like a stuck up cow.

*hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

HA HA HA HA HA LOL ...

Colin??

anna080 wrote: »
    Colin??

Did you ruin his surprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

It's a load of sh*t. I've never heard of any fella in a relationship who thinks it's good. This leads me to believe permabear's account is some form of false flag operation.

gargargar wrote: »
    It's a load of sh*t. I've never heard of any fella in a relationship who thinks it's good. This leads me to believe permabear's account is some form of false flag operation.

I always thought it was for the women and men just feel they have to or they'll be in the bad books. I think that's half the reason I dislike it. It seems very unlovely and pressurised. Ok not that many women are like that about it..but I've known a few who are

Limnam, my OH is working four day shifts so the best I can do is take advantage of myself. But I have the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There is nothing wrong with V Day or the commercial aspect of it if that's your thing. If its important to you and your spouse and you are on the same page grand but it's the people who feel obligated to do something when they would rather not or the notion that if you ignore it you are a miserable miser who doesn't appreciate your partner that's ridiculous. Unfortunately we do have idiots who think there is a correlation between how much you spend and the state of your relationship. That's why I choose to ignore it.

• Advertisement

I always thought it was for the women and men just feel they have to or they'll be in the bad books. I think that's half the reason I dislike it. It seems very unlovely and pressurised. Ok not that many women are like that about it..but I've known a few who are

Why worry about what it is or isn't to other couples? Or why dislike something because of what it is to other couples?

Make your own "thing" if that's ignoring it, fine. But ignoring it because what other people think it's about is bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

❤❤❤❤❤

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

My wife and myself don't acknowledge the day. I feel genuinely sorry for lads who's partners expect the world of them today. For me when i was younger it was an excellent way to filter out the money hungry bridezillas to be from the normal women.

limnam wrote: »
    Why worry about what it is or isn't to other couples? Or why dislike something because of what it is to other couples?

Make your own "thing" if that's ignoring it, fine. But ignoring it because what other people think it's about is bizarre

'cause seeing the way it causes friction for some people it makes it look like not a nice day.. And it's February and feels like the wrong time to be making a big deal. I do my own version at times that suit me better...its just the designated day that I don't get.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    For me when i was younger it was an excellent way to filter out the money hungry bridezillas to be from the normal women.

You were ahead of your time.

Most other young men were using the Dirty Sanchez technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So it's Valentines Day - big scam to make card and flower companies a massive paycheque.

Luckily I'm married to someone who realises it's also a load of commercial BOLLOCKS.

So I will be spending a grand total of €0.00 on Valentines day gifts/dinner/card.

Some of my mates aren't so lucky, one lad poor ****er will need to spend at least €300 - otherwise grounds for divorce.

And the mobile companies back in the days of SMS ... would make a FORTUNE.

Bastards
    I presume his wife/partner will reciprocate with a similarly expensive token of their affection for him ?

I'm in an office with an orthodox guy, turns out today is st. Trifon's day. A famous Bulgarian saint.
    Who was a drunk who loved red wine. He is now the patron saint of vine growers.
    I think we can all agree we should adopt this guy instead of Valentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I'll pick up a bunch of flowers and a bottle of Jacob's Creek from Maxol on the way home. Hopefully that's enough for me to get the leg over later.

• Advertisement

I'll pick up a bunch of flowers and a bottle of Jacob's Creek from Maxol on the way home. Hopefully that's enough for me to get the leg over later.

Why leave it to chance.

Buy two bottles.

Advertisement