Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Bollocks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Like Aongus, I will be celebrating Valentine's Day in style. I'm putting the final touches to a meal that Tesco has prepared for me (letting it stand for a minute, a quick stir and it'll be ready). If you can't go all out on a night like this, then when can you? I'll round off the evening with a ****.

A man after my own heart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

Like Aongus, I will be celebrating Valentine's Day in style. I'm putting the final touches to a meal that Tesco has prepared for me (letting it stand for a minute, a quick stir and it'll be ready). If you can't go all out on a night like this, then when can you? I'll round off the evening with a ****.

Thanks you jst made choke laughing :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Same as you OP, couldn't give a toss.
    I buy a card and present some years if I see something nice and I've the money handy, other than that, no panic.
    Himself same, he knows there's no pressure.

This year both of us couldn't be arsed, so no card, but I grabbed him 5 cream eggs in Lidl yesterday evening (he has a thing for them), and he kindly got me the 5 Lily O'Brien's An Post promotional chocolates from the post box :D

Valentine sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I was given a voucher for a free valentines cake. I know pictures aren't to scale, but I thought it was going to be an individual French fancy sized free cake.

Nope. Huge red velvet heart ice cream gateux for 8 people.

It's in the freezer because tonight doesn't feel much like cake but nice treat all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

limnam wrote: »
    All that chocolate, flowers, dinner, cards. ridin'

Sounds awful

Aaaaah, the ridin' should be happening anyway. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Some women get kind of competitive with friends.

Sounds like money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Whipped whipped whipped

I'm in bed watching real vs PSG it's just another Wednesday night to me poor bastids paying out €300 tonight ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

There's a huge amount of negativity and world weariness on this thread from the little bit I scanned over.
    Hear, hear.

Being an incorrigible romantic, I have booked a table for two tonight in a quiet little place I know with low lighting.

Best of nine frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'm spending it with three other lads in a gaff in the back arse of Kerry, it could be worse!

Also, send help, the smell of fart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Embrace it lads! It’s going nowhere!

I forgot so I got off the hook with a Lovey Dovey song I pretended I recorded last night especially! Sorted now 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I've actually just started a bit of romance with a girl I've been friends with for a while. We had our first mental sex weekend together (she's a fiery Mediterranean with a bum like it's going out of fashion) and then I was called on a business trip to the states. Frustrating is not the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I've actually just started a bit of romance with a girl I've been friends with for a while. We had our first mental sex weekend together (she's a fiery Mediterranean with a bum like it's going out of fashion) and then I was called on a business trip to the states. Frustrating is not the word!

Indeed, frustrating is not the word...I think the word you're looking for is "loadabollix"

:)

Indeed, frustrating is not the word...I think the word you're looking for is "loadabollix"

:)

Nah it's frustrating alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I (she's a fiery Mediterranean with a bum like it's going out of fashion) and then I was called on a business trip to the states. Frustrating is not the word!

Don't worry, it's unlikely on the most romantic day of the year that some other youngfella is hopping off it now...

Don't worry, it's unlikely on the most romantic day of the year that some other youngfella is hopping off it now...

This has to be the least romantic day of the year. Buy her something because some saint got beheaded and Hallmark want to see cards. F-off

This has to be the least romantic day of the year. Buy her something because some saint got beheaded and Hallmark want to see cards. F-off

Second thoughts, someone might be hoppin' off it.

Second thoughts, someone might be hoppin' off it.

We both live in Hampshire in England. People there have the sex appeal of the typical Boards.ie poster. California on the other hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

Do people buy each other actual presents nowadays for Valentines day, other than the usual chocs and flowers? I heard some people at work saying that they get pressies etc?
    I have not been in a relationship for Val's day for a few years but in the past we would just have a nice meal and exchange a card and maybe i would get flowers or chocs or something of the like,,, I never expected pressies - or gave them..
    Personally I think that thats excessive..
    Or am I wrong?

sporina wrote: »
    Do people buy each other actual presents nowadays for Valentines day, other than the usual chocs and flowers? I heard some people at work saying that they get pressies etc?
    I have not been in a relationship for Val's day for a few years but in the past we would just have a nice meal and exchange a card and maybe i would get flowers or chocs or something of the like,,, I never expected pressies - or gave them..
    Personally I think that thats excessive..
    Or am I wrong?

I think people should do whatever they want to do.

I don't really see why buying your partner a gift is excessive.

Getting a loan because you couldn't afford to do it, that's excessive.

What did you get me for Valentine's xoxoxo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

So it's Valentines Day - big scam to make card and flower companies a massive paycheque.

Luckily I'm married to someone who realises it's also a load of commercial BOLLOCKS.

So I will be spending a grand total of €0.00 on Valentines day gifts/dinner/card.

Some of my mates aren't so lucky, one lad poor ****er will need to spend at least €300 - otherwise grounds for divorce.

And the mobile companies back in the days of SMS ... would make a FORTUNE.

Bastards

Coming up Withworth road today I noticed a billboard above Des Kelly's, I won't spoil it, but it gave me a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

i guess I am asking what is the norm - not whether its right or wrong

sporina wrote: »
    i guess I am asking what is the norm - not whether its right or wrong

I was more responding to the point of it being excessive.

excessive is all relative.

Some people consider going out for a meal excessive.

100-200e meal is it less excessive than someone buying a 100-200e gift and not going out?

etc etc etc

I imagine there's no norm, even based on this thread most seem to do something different.

I don't believe in it really. A load of money making crap. In the same league as Arthur's day.

I don't believe in it really. A load of money making crap. In the same league as Arthur's day.

Yera sure you can say it about anything.

XMAS/Haloween/Mothers Day/Fathers Day/insert other random day

But they're all gas craic. Plus Arthur's day = free pints. Can't argue with that :D

I'd forgotten about Arthurs day. Do you remember the madness of that? I was in Galway the last time it was on and it was hopping. The place tends to be one massive open air pub anyway but that day it was another level.

I remember people saying they "had to go out for pints on a Tuesday" because it was Arthur's Day. It never sat right with me. I mean all of the holidays are commercialized, but this one was made up in recent memory. We witnessed the creation of a money making scheme!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

We don't do Valentine's, sometimes we might get each other a card and a present but usually we don't. My missus gets me little gifts throughout the year and I do the same for her and we do birthdays in a big way. We also celebrate the day we started going out and the day we got married so I think that's enough celebrating. Deep down inside though I'm a big soft romantic and wouldn't mind a surprise but I'd never say it to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't think it's quite as ridiculous as Easter. I mean think about it - chocolate in the shape of an egg. How did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite as ridiculous as Easter. I mean think about it - chocolate in the shape of an egg. How did this happen?

Chocolate is never ridiculous.
    Never

Advertisement