Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Bollocks

Options

Comments

Due to circumstance I haven't seen my boyfriend in a week. He's off in some part of the country today and I'm in bed with a dose. There hasn't been any mention of Valentines and if it wasn't for the fact that it's advertised everywhere I'd have forgotten it. It's been I think seven years since I last gave and received a Valentines card.

I do feel for those who associate the day with an ideal view of relationships and wanting one. It can amplify feelings of loneliness. The truth however is often very different. Sometimes I think that there are couples who make big gestures on the day but are not necessarily the most loving the rest of the year round. So if you are feeling lonesome today maybe celebrate yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...if you are feeling lonesome today maybe celebrate yourself :)

You heard it here, folks. Go on, go on go on, have a tug - you know you want to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some years ago, saw a guy pick up a newspaper, slipped a Valentine's card in to it and just paid for the paper.

It's the thought that counts....

jimgoose wrote: »
    You heard it here, folks. Go on, go on go on, have a tug - you know you want to! :D

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

We work in a chocolate shop and a restaurant. Very much doubt there'll be the energy for a ride, it'll be one in the morning by the time we actually see each other.

Generally not a holiday I'm into, the whole aesthetic of it leaves me cold, and the commercial, competitive and performative elements are a turn off too. I wouldn't really be bothered about most holidays apart from Christmas and pancake day though.

I actually got him a wee present yesterday anyway just because I saw it and knew he'd like it, and I'm bringing home spare chocolate so fcuk it that and maaaaybe the world's least energetic ride will do him.

• Advertisement

Congrats on the baby ! :)

We work in a chocolate shop and a restaurant. Very much doubt there'll be the energy for a ride, it'll be one in the morning...

Well have one in the morning then, what about it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

We work in a chocolate shop and a restaurant. Very much doubt there'll be the energy for a ride, it'll be one in the morning by the time we actually see each other.

Generally not a holiday I'm into, the whole aesthetic of it leaves me cold, and the commercial, competitive and performative elements are a turn off too. I wouldn't really be bothered about most holidays apart from Christmas and pancake day though.

I actually got him a wee present yesterday anyway just because I saw it and knew he'd like it, and I'm bringing home spare chocolate so fcuk it that and maaaaybe the world's least energetic ride will do him.

A ride is a ride. I'm sure he will be delighted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bring home some raw cocoa powder and have a shnort of it, might give a bit more energy to the consumation :pac::pac:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Bring home some raw cocoa powder and have a shnort of it, might give a bit more energy to the consumation :pac::pac:

You're skill amazes even me. The last time I saw such raw power it terrified me. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's nice to have the cheerleading section for the ridin lads, sound :pac:

It's nice to have the cheerleading section for the ridin lads, sound :pac:

We love ridin'. Tell that youngfella of your'n that Goose and Boom offa the Internet said he was to give you a reet and proper seeing-to before the dawn is seen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Gave the girlfriend a card telling her I love her more than I love Africa by Toto

Gave the girlfriend a card telling her I love her more than I love Africa by Toto

Will it take a lot to take you away from her? Hundred men or more, kind of a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Awe i like getting a card. I dont expect flowers or chocolates or do i like the madness of dinner out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It won't be the drums that'll be heard echoing tonight :cool:

MiliMe wrote: »
    Awe i like getting a card. I dont expect flowers or chocolates or do i like the madness of dinner out.

We got together for a nice lunch out today, we'll snuggle tonight with chocolates and drop of Malbec. We'll have dinner in town tomorrow evening before the Mary Black concert. Happy days! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Happy valentines day, everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

jimgoose wrote: »
    We got together for a nice lunch out today, we'll snuggle tonight with chocolates and drop of Malbec. We'll have dinner in town tomorrow evening before the Mary Black concert.

You'd want to pare back there before she starts getting suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

So it's Valentines Day - big scam to make card and flower companies a massive paycheque.

Luckily I'm married to someone who realises it's also a load of commercial BOLLOCKS.

So I will be spending a grand total of €0.00 on Valentines day gifts/dinner/card.

Some of my mates aren't so lucky, one lad poor ****er will need to spend at least €300 - otherwise grounds for divorce.

And the mobile companies back in the days of SMS ... would make a FORTUNE.

Bastards

You sound made for each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Your a month early for the steak and ..........

That's when she can make it up to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Roses are red
    Violets are Blue
    F@ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Nowadays when I hear about Valentine's Day I think about a lad called Valentine going on a shooting spree at his school.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

mickrock wrote:
    Nowadays when I hear about Valentine's Day I think about a lad called Valentine going on a shooting spree at his school.

I think of Billy ray valentine from trading places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There's a huge amount of negativity and world weariness on this thread from the little bit I scanned over. 

I will be celebrating Valentine's Day in style with the Baroness, and make no apologies for doing so. The day started with me preparing her favourite breakfast - American style waffles with a berry compote. It wouldn't be my idea of a good breakfast, but we all must make sacrifices for love. 
    It may be considered twee, but I had 24 roses sent to her workplace this afternoon, with a lovingly thought out message from yours truly enclosed. It spoke of my love for her, and how our hopes and dreams are now intertwined. 

I'm now putting the final touches to a meal I've prepared for both of us. Just waiting for her to return from her Pilates course. Starter is a warm butter-poached lobster salad with a truffle mayonnaise. Going very old school for mains, with a classic roast dusk, hasselback potatoes, red cabbage, roast cherry and red wine sauce. Dessert is a strawberry ganache 'deconstructed' trifle. I've raided the cellar for an exceptional Barolo to accompany the main. If you can't go all out with the wine selection on a night like this, then when can you?

I'll round off the evening by revealing that I've booked us in for a long weekend in Monart Spa  for when we next are back in Ireland. I have been dropping hints about a Patrick Kavanagh anthology (1st edition), so I'd be delighted if I were to receive that as a gift. I may even be persuaded to read Raglan Road for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

There's a huge amount of negativity and world weariness on this thread from the little bit I scanned over. 

I will be celebrating Valentine's Day in style with the Baroness, and make no apologies for doing so. The day started with me preparing her favourite breakfast - American style waffles with a berry compote. It wouldn't be my idea of a good breakfast, but we all must make sacrifices for love. 
    It may be considered twee, but I had 24 roses sent to her workplace this afternoon, with a lovingly thought out message from yours truly enclosed. It spoke of my love for her, and how our hopes and dreams are now intertwined. 

I'm now putting the final touches to a meal I've prepared for both of us. Just waiting for her to return from her Pilates course. Starter is a warm butter-poached lobster salad with a truffle mayonnaise. Going very old school for mains, with a classic roast dusk, hasselback potatoes, red cabbage, roast cherry and red wine sauce. Dessert is a strawberry ganache 'deconstructed' trifle. I've raided the cellar for an exceptional Barolo to accompany the main. If you can't go all out with the wine selection on a night like this, then when can you?

I'll round off the evening by revealing that I've booked us in for a long weekend in Monart Spa  for when we next are back in Ireland. I have been dropping hints about a Patrick Kavanagh anthology (1st edition), so I'd be delighted if I were to receive that as a gift. I may even be persuaded to read Raglan Road for her!

Play your cards right and you may even get the ride...as long as she's not on the Raglan Road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Monart is the best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The only valentines day acknowledgement I've received is an email from a mail list from KFC with a buy one get one free offer for their terrible ice creams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We don’t observe it. We don’t make any kind of song and dance about that fact though. It’s just not important to us.

The first year we were together, I told himself that it wasn’t important to me. He doublechecked though because he didn’t know me well enough at that point to know if I meant what I said or if I’d be sad if he didn’t mark the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Like Aongus, I will be celebrating Valentine's Day in style. I'm putting the final touches to a meal that Tesco has prepared for me (letting it stand for a minute, a quick stir and it'll be ready). If you can't go all out on a night like this, then when can you? I'll round off the evening with a ****.

Advertisement