Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I used look forward to the WC with great anticipation. But I'm quite ambivalent towards it now. I'll watch a few matches and check out some highlights but not much else.

There was an article a while back highlighting how much international football has fallen from being viewed as the pinnacle of the game. The managers involved are generally second string managers who have never coached any top club side. The attraction isn't there for the top managers in the game and the standard of football is in line with that.

Hopefully there are a few crazy matches with a glut of goals but I reckon it's going to be a fairly poor tournament. The Russian sideshow could break the monotony if that's the case, however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah, I enjoy the world cup (and basically almost no other soccer). I work in a very multinational office so its good for office banter and its fun to get caught up in any big tournament really.

Plus I'll watch quite a lot of the games in the office anyway so what's not to like.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    I used look forward to the WC with great anticipation. But I'm quite ambivalent towards it now. I'll watch a few matches and check out some highlights but not much else.

There was an article a while back highlighting how much international football has fallen from being viewed as the pinnacle of the game. The managers involved are generally second string managers who have never coached any top club side. The attraction isn't there for the top managers in the game and the standard of football is in line with that.

Hopefully there are a few crazy matches with a glut of goals but I reckon it's going to be a fairly poor tournament. The Russian sideshow could break the monotony if that's the case, however.
    It isn't the pinnacle of the game. The Champions League is probably the highest level of football these days. Most top club teams would beat most international sides.

Top managers have no interest in international football. Top players generally retire relatively early from international football to prolong their club careers.

UEFA have introduced the Nations League to try and make international football more interesting, because nobody gives a feck about friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Belgium win. A small nation that consistantly turns out good players. It kind of gets old watching Germany and Brazil winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it. Football on every day for a month, what's not to like?
    Yeah. live sport every day for a month. Makes work for more enjoyable being able to catch most games while working helps.
    Sick to death of football to be honest. It just makes me angry watching them preen about and throw themselves on the ground like toddlers.
    Its not that bad.
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    I hope Belgium win. A small nation that consistantly turns out good players. It kind of gets old watching Germany and Brazil winning.
    Brazil havent won in 4 world cups so long enough....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Got Mexico and Senegal in the pool at work, no motivation to even bother looking at it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

stephen_n wrote: »
    Got Mexico and Senegal in the pool at work, no motivation to even bother looking at it.

Mexico and Costa Rica here. I'm not sure, but I think that might be the last I see of that fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

dregin wrote: »
    Mexico and Costa Rica here. I'm not sure, but I think that might be the last I see of that fiver.

That’s a safe bet alright :pac:

Have to go from Dublin to Killarney on Friday, leaving Dublin at 10/11am.

Got to stop about 2 - 2.5 hours into the journey for an hour for some lunch and to take care of baba.

Would people recommend going via Limerick and stopping in Adare, or going the Cork road and stopping somewhere like Cashel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Two separate draws in work, got Portugal twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Got to stop about 2 - 2.5 hours into the journey for an hour for some lunch and to take care of baba.

Would people recommend going via Limerick and stopping in Adare, or going the Cork road and stopping somewhere like Cashel?

Limerick definitely. I make that journey 4 or 5 times a year. The visitor centre on the right hand side of Adare beside the church has a large car park behind it and changing facilities inside it as well as a cafe.
    Just as an aside - check to make sure the road between castleisland and farranfore is open. Remember reading somewhere that it was to be closed for the summer months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DGRulz wrote: »
    Two separate draws in work, got Portugal twice.

same here got Portugal in the first one

mfceiling wrote: »
    Limerick definitely. I make that journey 4 or 5 times a year. The visitor centre on the right hand side of Adare beside the church has a large car park behind it and changing facilities inside it as well as a cafe.
    Just as an aside - check to make sure the road between castleisland and farranfore is open. Remember reading somewhere that it was to be closed for the summer months.
    Looks like it's closed, diversion via Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

stephen_n wrote: »

I got Russia and Mexico. No chance.

The group stages can be boring in World Cups (and the Euros since they expanded to 32 teams) but the knock outs are normally good to watch. Always funny when England get beaten too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Adare is a traffic nightmare. Stopped outside Limerick at a place called Finnegan's on the last trip down to Kerry. Lovely spot. https://goo.gl/maps/nMEea8DU2yG2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Adare is a traffic nightmare. Stopped outside Limerick at a place called Finnegan's on the last trip down to Kerry. Lovely spot. https://goo.gl/maps/nMEea8DU2yG2
    Finnegans must have improved then for it to be called lovely spot... Was terrible for years

"Was" a traffic nightmare. At the roundabout just past the end of the motorway instead of going straight in to Adare take left. Go out that road about 2 miles and turn right (think it's signposted for "thatch bar"). Out that road about a mile then take a right at the junction. About another mile and you come to a junction. Take left and you are on the other side of Adare on the main road. I've timed it and it takes approx 8 or 9 minutes compared to up to 30 minutes going through Adare.

We need to stop somewhere for an hour or so for food and a bit of a dander about, if daughter is in the car for ~4 hours solid she will be a living nightmare that evening. Adare just seemed the most logical spot. Open to other suggestions. Pubs ok so long as they'd have space for a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Obama plaza

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Obama plaza

that's a good spot. never too busy either

• Advertisement

Obama plaza
    No good, can't really walk about there with the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Finnegans must have improved then for it to be called lovely spot... Was terrible for years

Finnegan's was recently taken over by the owners of Curragower. It was poor in the past but I was there last Saturday and it was quality.

It was recently taken over by the owners of Curragower. It was poor in the past but I was there last Saturday and it was quality.
    Is this the place just off the M7 as you are coming in to Limerick?

Is this the place just off the M7 as you are coming in to Limerick?

Yes. On the right.

Yes. On the right.
    Space for a pram?

Space for a pram?

ah jaysis. its a pram, not a tank.

Stheno wrote: »
    ah jaysis. its a pram, not a tank.
    You'd be surprised.

Cafe in the Heritage centre with loads of space for a pram and changing facilities.
    We went to Auntie Lenas bar beside it before when ours were small. Grand food but can't remember if we had a pram.
    The Dunraven Arms is a good shout. Loads of room for a pram and is never too busy. Changing facilities there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I've been asked to do it in work, said yes as it was the easiest answer to give but I've already kissed that tenner goodbye. I usually draw the worst team in it. Will keep an eye on the tournament because it's in Russia.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised.

Loads if it's not busy I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement