Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I try to minimise television but f*ck me, it's hard. Just need 40 minutes sometimes to have a coffee or make their lunches without being dragged out of. But I avoid Peppa. I look forward to the day when a crippling outbreak of foot and mouth hits her household.

Plenty of other options out there. Netflix kids has loads of stuff but fortunately my kids are now at an age where they love Pixar and Disney so we can all sit and watch a bit of Toy Story together.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I ate momma pigs arse this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I ate momma pigs arse this morning...

That's a terrible way to talk about your wife

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

On the subject of kids - what's the story with prams these days? Some lunatic friend of my better half spent 1500 on one.

My mother picked one up for 30 quid that did 4 of us without issue... Unless this thing is a Tesla Model P I'm not splashing that kinda cash.

dregin wrote: »
    On the subject of kids - what's the story with prams these days? Some lunatic friend of my better half spent 1500 on one.

My mother picked one up for 30 quid that did 4 of us without issue... Unless this thing is a Tesla Model P I'm not splashing that kinda cash.

Yup. We discussed this extensively with great delight when other posters were purchasing.

It's not a pram...it's a travel system. At least that's what the marketing people are pushing on us. In fairness, it's not just a pram for that cost, I'd imagine. It's the pram (basinnet), the car seats and the buggy all in one with the attachments and adapters to connect to the base frame. I'd say we spent about that on ours for a twin set up but they're 3 later this year and it's still going strong with regular use.

But yeah, baby stuff is insanely overpriced. For holidays, I picked up a couple of strollers second hand on Adverts for €10 each. Would fall apart with regular use but grand for the odd trip out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

awec wrote: »
    My daughter has watched about 1 hour of peppa pig and I hate it already. She doesn't even really watch it, but it's the only kids show I know to youtube.

My brother reckons Ben and Holly is a great kids show that adults can also enjoy. Then again his eldest is 6 so maybe 6 years of kids shows have broken him so much that he has no idea what's good at all anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is possibly the worst film I've ever seen in the cinema

Is it as bad as the trailer? Chase the trailer made it look awful
    We flipped a coin between Hereditary and JW:FK
    Thankfully we landed on Hereditary

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I try to minimise television but f*ck me, it's hard. Just need 40 minutes sometimes to have a coffee or make their lunches without being dragged out of. But I avoid Peppa. I look forward to the day when a crippling outbreak of foot and mouth hits her household.

Plenty of other options out there. Netflix kids has loads of stuff but fortunately my kids are now at an age where they love Pixar and Disney so we can all sit and watch a bit of Toy Story together.

Animals of Farthing Wood ftw.

Buer wrote: »
    Yup. We discussed this extensively with great delight when other posters were purchasing.

It's not a pram...it's a travel system. At least that's what the marketing people are pushing on us. In fairness, it's not just a pram for that cost, I'd imagine. It's the pram (basinnet), the car seats and the buggy all in one with the attachments and adapters to connect to the base frame. I'd say we spent about that on ours for a twin set up but they're 3 later this year and it's still going strong with regular use.

But yeah, baby stuff is insanely overpriced. For holidays, I picked up a couple of strollers second hand on Adverts for €10 each. Would fall apart with regular use but grand for the odd trip out and about.

Yeah what Buer said, strollers are cheap travel systems are not. We got ours recently and managed to keep it around the €1000 mark, which would be seen as good value.

For that €1500 they spent they would have got a car seat, which can click straight onto the ISO fix base in the car, the base may have been included in the bundle or may have been extra, and it can also click straight onto the stroller frame, either directly or with adapters, which may also cost extra. It would also include a pram attachment for when the baby is a new born so that they can lie flat. Some of these are "sleep safe" or some other such bulls**t term, which means you can use them instead of a moses basket for the baby to sleep in. If they are sleep safe you can usually buy a special stand for them that they click into securely the same way they click into the stroller frame, you better believe that will cost extra. Then the final part of the travel system is the buggy attachment, I'd tell you the features and benefits of this part of the system but I had firmly lost the will to live and stop listening and just handed over the credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Not unlike a car, it is worth checking what the re-sale value is.  Some brands. Bugaboo being one,  have a fairly decent resale value. So your net cost will be considerably lower in the long run.

Have to say, the best investment we made was a second hand silver cross, which we use for travelling and quick runs.  70 quid, fits a 3 and 2 year old, sturdy as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Our pram was about 1100 and the car seat and base about 400 on top of that.

You can get cheaper ones for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

b.gud wrote: »
    Yeah what Buer said, strollers are cheap travel systems are not. We got ours recently and managed to keep it around the €1000 mark, which would be seen as good value.

For that €1500 they spent they would have got a car seat, which can click straight onto the ISO fix base in the car, the base may have been included in the bundle or may have been extra, and it can also click straight onto the stroller frame, either directly or with adapters, which may also cost extra. It would also include a pram attachment for when the baby is a new born so that they can lie flat. Some of these are "sleep safe" or some other such bulls**t term, which means you can use them instead of a moses basket for the baby to sleep in. If they are sleep safe you can usually buy a special stand for them that they click into securely the same way they click into the stroller frame, you better believe that will cost extra. Then the final part of the travel system is the buggy attachment, I'd tell you the features and benefits of this part of the system but I had firmly lost the will to live and stop listening and just handed over the credit card

It's like you're in my head!

We spent around the 1500 mark ourselves late last year. That included ISOFix car seat. Herself wanted one that looked good. I wanted one that would minimise the cursing it would cause trying to get it set up and packed up. Jesus, some of them are fiddly as f***. I could only imagine me, lacking sleep, having difficulty collapsing a "travel system" frame. I'd end up divorced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

**** you lot and your Pepa Pig, in my day it was the tellietubies. The mear uttering of the words eh-oh reduces me to a quivering mess of fear. God knows how many hungover mornings I endured watching that ****. Though as they were fairly gender fluid, I’m surprised they haven’t enjoyed a comeback in these enlightened times.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's like you're in my head!

We spent around the 1500 mark ourselves late last year. That included ISOFix car seat. Herself wanted one that looked good. I wanted one that would minimise the cursing it would cause trying to get it set up and packed up. Jesus, some of them are fiddly as f***. I could only imagine me, lacking sleep, having difficulty collapsing a "travel system" frame. I'd end up divorced.

Yep, looks was her main thing as well when we were looking at them. For me it was practicality and cost, especially the cost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We got a hand-me-down car seat/buggy from her sister. When he was bigger we bought another buggy (Silver Cross) and got the swivel car seat. The first one went back to her sister who had another baby. We'll get it back in October when no. 2 arrives and she's upgrading her toddler's seat and putting the baby into the current toddler's seat. I had to buy a non-Isofix seat for my vehicle as it's a commercial with no back seats. Apparently we need to look at a double buggy now. I've lost track of what we have, what we need, what it cost and the will to live... I just nod and smile weakly when it's mentioned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

awec wrote: »
    Our pram was about 1100 and the car seat and base about 400 on top of that.

You can get cheaper ones for sure.

Bugaboo is the one that's been mentioned. Did you have to get an extension of some sort to accomadate for your height? I'm a little worried my back will be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

stephen_n wrote: »
    **** you lot and your Pepa Pig, in my day it was the tellietubies. The mear uttering of the words eh-oh reduces me to a quivering mess of fear. God knows how many hungover mornings I endured watching that ****. Though as they were fairly gender fluid, I’m surprised they haven’t enjoyed a comeback in these enlightened times.

My 3 have taken to watching the teletubbies on youtube and absolutely breaking their arses laughing watching it!!
    You don't know cost until the first bill arrives for the school fees which is due in September...and uniform, hockey kit, gym gear etc. Multiplied by 2 next year and by 3 two years after that!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    My 3 have taken to watching the teletubbies on youtube and absolutely breaking their arses laughing watching it!!
    You don't know cost until the first bill arrives for the school fees which is due in September...and uniform, hockey kit, gym gear etc. Multiplied by 2 next year and by 3 two years after that!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_raising_a_child#United_Kingdom
    The annual LV= (Liverpool Victoria) Cost of a Child report calculates the cost of raising a child from birth to 21 years old. The latest report puts the cost as £231,843.[4] The Cost of a child calculations, from birth to 21 years, were compiled by the Centre of Economic and Business Research (CEBR) for LV= in December 2015 and are based on the cost for the 21-year period to December 2015. Additional research was conducted by Opinium Research LLP from 22 to 27 January 2016. The total sample size was 1,000 UK adults with children under the age of 18 and was conducted online. Results have been weighted to nationally representative criteria

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »

I'm reading this thread and laughing my ass off, due to having all this behind me. Costly things kids!

Bugaboo is the one that's been mentioned. Did you have to get an extension of some sort to accomadate for your height? I'm a little worried my back will be broken.

We’ve a Uppababy Vista, the handle goes up and down so no issues with height.

• Advertisement

:eek:

I would reckon that's conservative. I drop the guts of €20k a year on childcare alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That doesn't seem that bad. I remember a medical negligence case I studied in college had a doctor on the hook for 750k for ****ing up a vasectomy. He wasn't on hook for the average cost of A child, he was on the hook for the average cost of that family's children - the "mistake kid" had to have the same upbringing as his older siblings.

Sending my kids to a private secondary school will be cheaper than sending them to the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sending my kids to a private secondary school will be cheaper than sending them to the creche.

And also, as we all know to be a fact, the only decent normal people on the planet are people who went to private secondary schools that aren't in Munster.

Crèche is pretty much a grand a month these days across the board :(

And also, as we all know to be a fact, the only decent normal people on the planet are people who went to private secondary schools that aren't in Munster.

Or Ulster.

I was going to say or Connacht but of course they don't have any Private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Or Ulster.

I was going to say or Connacht but of course they don't have any Private schools.

Do they even have secondary schools in Connacht? I thought they all just started working on farms once they reached 11 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Or Ulster.

Ya wha? Garbally, Sligo grammar, Yeats.... They exist they're just ****e at rugby (well... Garbally tries)

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do they even have secondary schools in Connacht? I thought they all just started working on farms once they reached 11 years old.

Instead of making their confirmation, kids in Connacht on their 12th birthday hold a ceremony called 'Eating the Turnip of Knowledge'.

After taking a bite If they can successfully point out Eyre Square on a map of Eyre Square they get to go straight to NUIG to study Tractor maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's the spirit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement