Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Have to go up to the big smoke for a meeting today. Meeting is in Stephens Green so was planning on parking somewhere outside the city and getting the Luas in. Are the any Luas stops that have decent parking at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

b.gud wrote: »
    Have to go up to the big smoke for a meeting today. Meeting is in Stephens Green so was planning on parking somewhere outside the city and getting the Luas in. Are the any Luas stops that have decent parking at them?

If you're coming from the West, the Red Cow would, not sure what availability is like for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If you're coming from the N4 and going to Stephen's Green, you're as well just hopping on a commuter train from Maynooth and getting off at Pearse St which is about a 5-10 minute walk from SSG. They run about once an hour outside of rush hour. The car park at the train station will possibly be full but there are estates and a supermarket 2 minutes up the road where you'll find a space.

To get a Luas coming in from the N4 you're going to have to negotiate the M50 to get to a stop and then face a longer trip into the city on it, more than likely.

Or you could just park at SSG

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Ibf if I was to park in ssg, where would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's a Q Park at Stephen's Green, that's probably the handiest place.

There is parking in Stephens green and usually spots around Fitzwilliam and Merrion.

If you want to avoid driving and want transport right to Stephens green then park out near Sandyford which is just off the m50 and get the greenline luas in, it stops at Stephens green.

I was on the road at 7:30 this morning but it was extremely quiet so I'd say parking should be handy enough.

Yeah there's parking at Stephens Green and also parking in behind Brown Thomas that seems to usually have some spots.

https://www.q-park.ie/en-gb/cities/dublin/st-stephens-green/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm going to let you in the know for parking near SSG...please keep this to yourselves.

Behind the church on Aungier street is a car park. €2.50 an hour up to a max of €14 a day.
    Sunday parking let's you park for 90 minutes free then starts to charge.
    Sometimes (once a month or so) the barriers stay up and it's completely free.
    Less than a 5 minute walk to SSG shopping centre.
    That has been my go to for years now.

Cheers will probably go for Q Park in SSG

• Advertisement

I'm stuck in a lift. It let out a massive bang then stopped between 2 floors. Word of advice....pressing the emergency button does nothing. I could die here.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm stuck in a lift. It let out a massive bang then stopped between 2 floors. Word of advice....pressing the emergency button does nothing. I could die here.
    If you can push the doors open chances are you'd be able to get out.

Well I'm glad you took the time to post in the off topic section of an internet rugby forum before passing away. Was great knowing you, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh **** man, hope all is well.

awec wrote: »

Genuinely do not ever do this. It's a horrific way to die.

Are you in there by yourself?

Honestly if you have the lift to yourself you are looking at this all the wrong way. You now have a few uninterrupted hours of peace to yourself. You of all people should be pretty pleased with this development.

Are you alone in the lift? Imagine getting stuck in a packed lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Genuinely do not ever do this. It's a horrific way to die.

How does one die? Do you mean plunging down a life shaft?

Opened the doors....we're between floors. Me and my work mate. He's just farted....

errlloyd wrote: »
    How does one die? Do you mean plunging down a life shaft?

There are videos on reddit... but dont watch them!

Supposedly the change of weight can make the lift drop while you're climbing out and its pretty horrific if only half of you makes it out.

• Advertisement

Opened the doors....we're between floors. Me and my work mate. He's just farted....
    Surprised the emergency button does nothing. Is this a building that's under construction?

Surprised the emergency button does nothing. Is this a building that's under construction?

No...hse building in town. Had to ring the lift company...they said they'll tell an engineer. Bursting for a pìss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No...hse building in town. Had to ring the lift company...they said they'll tell an engineer. Bursting for a pìss.

Well the other fella farted. One good deed deserves another.

Good job you had mobile signal.

Gah. People injured every year trying this and the odd death every few years. Even if mfceiling isn't your average non-technical numpty, don't do it.

Buer wrote: »
    Gah. People injured every year trying this and the odd death every few years. Even if mfceiling isn't your average non-technical numpty, don't do it.
    Feck me lads I'm not a lift escape expert!

Buer wrote: »
    Even if mfceiling isn't your average non-technical numpty

Thanks Buer...I think

Feck me lads I'm not a lift escape expert!

Ban yourself, tbh

There are videos on reddit... but dont watch them!

Supposedly the change of weight can make the lift drop while you're climbing out and its pretty horrific if only half of you makes it out.

The lifts are counter weighted so free falling is extremely unlikely but a sudden shift can certainly happen and do massive damage. Most lifts have installed wall skirts now to prevent anyone felling into the shaft if stuck between floors but I guarantee there are plenty that haven't.

Emergency button is normally just linked to a call centre in the UK and they'll normally not bother their arse answering to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are you still alive mf? Keep us posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement