Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    Never underestimate the influence the Irish mammy has on her daughter.

This x100.

I've never seen fuss like it when parents visit. When my oul pair land she will have biscuits and cakes to beat the band...15 years now of them not eating them and you'd think she'd have learned. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mfceiling wrote: »
    This x100.

I've never seen fuss like it when parents visit. When my oul pair land she will have biscuits and cakes to beat the band...15 years now of them not eating them and you'd think she'd have learned. No.

Doesn't matter if they haven't eaten them in 15 years, what if the one year they do decide they want a biscuit and there isn't a ridiculous selection of them to choose from? Think of the embarrassment and the shame it'd bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’d be vetoing the s*** our of that carry on. Not a hope would I allow it. I put the foot down at the wedding too. Put serious limits on who was invited. I’m not arsed dealing with a load of people I don’t know or like. Both our parents were like “oh you have to invite X and Y because their kids invited us to theirs and then there’s the neighbours etc”. I told them they could invite 2 people each, but think carefully about who the 2 are, because they’ll be responsible for keeping them entertained for the day.

Life’s too short to be bothering other that stuff.

And Zzippy thinks I’m like Victor Meldrew!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Doesn't matter if they haven't eaten them in 15 years, what if the one year they do decide they want a biscuit and there isn't a ridiculous selection of them to choose from? Think of the embarrassment and the shame it'd bring.

There'd be whispers and furtive glances after 10 o'clock mass on Sunday. The neighbours would have a field day.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Come on now Venjur.
    Off the fence with ya.

Probably more scathing than I intended. I have no issue with the church, they've done a lot for this country and are an institution with a lot of great people as members. I don't take issue at all with their existence, they are free and should be free to push their message but they shouldn't be given any special status or treatment. They should pay tax and should be regulated like any other business.

I disagree with a lot of their teachings and I don't think people consider the significance these teachings can have on the thinking skills of young children. Religion in this country is less about belief and more about tradition, we should let it go like the myths of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Probably more scathing than I intended. I have no issue with the church, they've done a lot for this country and are an institution with a lot of great people as members. I don't take issue at all with their existence, they are free and should be free to do push their message but they shouldn't be given any special status or treatment. They should pay tax and should be regulated like any other business.

I disagree with a lot of their teachings and I don't think people consider the significance these teachings can have on the thinking skills of young children. Religion in this country is less about belief and more about tradition, we should let it go like the myths of old.

My daughter made her communion last year. The main reason that happened is because otherwise she would have been the only girl in her class (14 girls & 14 boys in the class) not doing it. So I made the call to let her go ahead.

However there was no hullabaloo afterwards. Fortunately for me her birthday wasn't too far from that date so I was able to focus all the niceties on that.

I've already told her she won't be making her confirmation. She's not even slightly bothered about it which makes me feel properly chuffed!

I think there's a definite detachment happening from the church generally in this country.
    However for now I think it's much more obvious in the bigger urban areas.
    But like most changes, it will slowly drip to all corners of the country in time. Albeit decades for some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Talking to someone in work about her daughters communion, they spent €800 on caterers alone, then ice cream truck stopped by etc etc. Insane amount of stress, she was describing it and all the things that nearly went wrong. I think people are mad. We're not religious at all but I respect it more than the people who get their kids christened/communion just for the party and to keep up with the neighbours with no real care about why they're supposed to be doing it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Probably more scathing than I intended. I have no issue with the church, they've done a lot for this country and are an institution with a lot of great people as members. I don't take issue at all with their existence, they are free and should be free to do push their message but they shouldn't be given any special status or treatment. They should pay tax and should be regulated like any other business.

They should also be subject to GDPR like any other business. The fact that there is an exemption for religions drives me ****ing nuts.

But like most changes, it will slowly drip to all corners of the country in time. Albeit decades for some parts.

It will take time and there's a huge divide between urban and rural. My local church is a behemoth of a construction. I recall a major ceremony 25 years ago would have literally a couple thousand in attendance. At the weekend, there was a 6.30pm mass on Saturday and masses at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm and 5.30pm on a Sunday. All were relatively well attended.

Now there is a Saturday mass and two on a Sunday. None of them have more than a couple of hundred people at most.

But if I was to go to the church in my wife's home town in Mayo, it would still be wedged on a Sunday. It's filled with people from all age groups and backgrounds still. It will catch up but I think it will take another 10-20 years for it to take hold in some parts to the same extent.

Mass is a nice social event. Why can't the town hall just have tea and biscuits so everyone can get together for a chat once a week?

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    It will take time and there's a huge divide between urban and rural. My local church is a behemoth of a construction. I recall a major ceremony 25 years ago would have literally a couple thousand in attendance. At the weekend, there was a 6.30pm mass on Saturday and masses at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm and 5.30pm on a Sunday. All were relatively well attended.

Now there is a Saturday mass and two on a Sunday. None of them have more than a couple of hundred people at most.

But if I was to go to the church in my wife's home town in Mayo, it would still be wedged on a Sunday. It's filled with people from all age groups and backgrounds still. It will catch up but I think it will take another 10-20 years for it to take hold in some parts to the same extent.

You don’t have to go as far as Mayo, when I was living in Kilcoole, which is not that rural really. The two masses on Sunday would be standing room only, with the whole village blocked with cars. Mind you Bray which is 6 miles away would never have a full church these days. Most of the Parrish’s have cut back their masses to a minimum compared to 20 or 30 years ago.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Been to mass three times. I was hoping it would be a bit more Father Ted-esque than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Been to mass three times. I was hoping it would be a bit more Father Ted-esque than it actually is.

It’s excruciating. Especially if you don’t know all the moves.

The kneeling bit is the worst. I refuse to do it, so you're the only one sitting there.

I hear your chalice work is flawless.

The kneeling bit is the worst. I refuse to do it, so you're the only one sitting there.

See I am more experienced. I used to do the "refuse to kneel" bit.

But after a while I realised the awkwardness of being the only one not doing it is far more impactful to me than the point I was trying to make. So I now kneel. I see it as a nice rest from sitting.

But I've gone full sellout. I even say Our Father but I make a point to add the good bit at the end just to give the flock something to think about. And I have even been known to sneak up for a snack and drink with the others.

I guess the way I see it now is that if you're there but making a point of not taking part, it's almost giving it more respect than if you do the bits.

EDIT: Although I absolutely don't understand what 'genuflecting' is and I reckon if I tried it I'd probably injure myself.

She made me go to Easter mass last year and they said the prayer in irish. It was like a double whammy for me.

I have been to a wedding in Irish and it was actually extremely nice, to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The whole kneel, sit, stand thing is like a really long awkward game of Simon Says.

Do you follow the auld biddy a couple rows in front of you? Or do you wait for the priest to tell you?

I've developed an "arse to the front of seat" move that gets me down low enough that it's not noticeable, but I'm not actually breaking my knees of the ****ting wooden kneeling thing.

• Advertisement

She made me go to Easter mass last year and they said the prayer in irish. It was like a double whammy for me.

Was at a wedding up north last month where he opened it in Irish. I was so shocked that I actually blessed myself. Sly bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I never kneel....I ain't getting on my knees in front of any priest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My daughter made her communion last year. The main reason that happened is because otherwise she would have been the only girl in her class (14 girls & 14 boys in the class) not doing it. So I made the call to let her go ahead.

However there was no hullabaloo afterwards. Fortunately for me her birthday wasn't too far from that date so I was able to focus all the niceties on that.

I've already told her she won't be making her confirmation. She's not even slightly bothered about it which makes me feel properly chuffed!

I think there's a definite detachment happening from the church generally in this country.

There's this bizarre disconnect in Ireland where on the one hand you have progressive attitudes to so many things but on the other they keep pushing all the antiquated rubbish like communions, religious schools, uniforms, single sex education on the youngest members of society.

What are kids growing up supposed to actually think? Equality, secularism, freedom of expression... but only until Mrs. Murphy looks crossways at 11 o'clock mass and then it's right back to the 50s with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Anass Rhammer

mfceiling wrote: »
    I never kneel....I ain't getting on my knees in front of any priest.

Once bitten, twice shy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I went to a catholic mass in England years ago with a then girlfriend, totally different to the ones here, there's actually a level of participation expected over there.

I was trying to stand at the back and there was people signalling us that there were spare seats at the front, I started sweating at that point. Then they actually gave wine that you had to queue up for...clearly wouldn't be a runner here.

But the biggest thing was that a lot of people hung around afterwards and there was tea and biscuits, it was really nice and a real community feel to it. Maybe because they're in the minority over there? I'm not a catholic anymore but I'd like if there were more family/community social outings here that didn't orbit around the church. Maybe there are and I'm too oblivious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That sounds like an Anglican service here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    And Zzippy thinks I’m like Victor Meldrew!

In fairness, I never said you were the only one. And I included myself in that club!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Once bitten, twice shy eh?

Mod: Can we keep it to one profile at a time please as per site rules? Thanks.

• Advertisement

It's a bit like the Macarena at a birthday party, all the ones who know the moves are up the front, the rest are watching them and following a few seconds behind. Then there's the grumpy uncles sitting there, saying i'm not doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement