Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Iranians have owned up to shooting down PS752. Missile battery operator mistakenly identified it as a cruise missile.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

NFL time again!

It's difficult to see any of the home teams losing, I have a feeling Vikings @ SF has the best chance of an upset. Playoff debut for Jimmy G and that Vikings D was sensational last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

49ers with a comfortable win based on Thomond's thoughts.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just watched the first episode of that don’t fcuk with cats show.

That was one of the most uncomfortable and messed up tv episode I’ve ever seen.

This show is intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

awec wrote: »

This show is intense.

I have to say, i found the online warriors to be really hard to like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's a crazy show and story. Enjoyed it though.

Watching Parks and Recreation on Prime at the minute. Great show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Synode wrote: »
    Watching Parks and Recreation on Prime at the minute. Great show

Really must finish that. Thoroughly enjoyed the first few series, must get back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

awec wrote: »

This show is intense.

Oh it gets worse. Or better. I'm not sure which.

All kinds of f**ked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have to say, i found the online warriors to be really hard to like

Definitely. Just comes across as sort of sad. Especially when they were banging on about how the police force were incompetent or whatever for not listening to a random group of people posting on a Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Definitely. Just comes across as sort of sad. Especially when they were banging on about how the police force were incompetent or whatever for not listening to a random group of people posting on a Facebook group.

I guess spoilers but also
    especially because they didn't achieve anything, in fact they actively encouraged him. For all of their "where is that electric outlet from" snooping, the only reason they found him was because he intentionally leaked his name to their group.

I am uncomfortable with true crime documentaries. In a direct way I know he's in a prison somewhere ****ing delighted that Netflix made a documentary about him. And in an indirect way I know there is another psycho out there who is like "ahh cool, this is all I need to do to get Netflix to make a documentary about me"

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    49ers with a comfortable win based on Thomond's thoughts.

It's going that way. The Vikings build their offense on Dalvin Cook. It's no surprise that SF are up by 14 while Cook has been shut out of the game to this point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

9ers not terrible at running the ball...

Podge_irl wrote: »

The OL is overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

NFL time again!

It's difficult to see any of the home teams losing, I have a feeling Vikings @ SF has the best chance of an upset. Playoff debut for Jimmy G and that Vikings D was sensational last week.

Looks like you were right, obviously you didn’t bet on it.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Looks like you were right, obviously you didn’t bet on it.

I took all the home teams in an accumulator. The current game was the matchup I was most worried about.

Long way to go yet in this one but the Vikings aren't built to chase leads.

Vikings fumble a punt. This could turn ugly now.

They may never pass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I took all the home teams in an accumulator. The current game was the matchup I was most worried about.

Long way to go yet in this one but the Vikings aren't built to chase leads.

Think your bets fvcked to be honest.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Think your bets fvcked to be honest.

1 down, 3 to go.
    They may never pass again.

It's hard to see how GB or Seattle can slow that running game down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Some of it was below the belt. Some of it was genuinely very funny. Plenty of idiots in society, some of them become rich and famous and get in front of causes in a smug, hypocritical almost entitled fashion.

But there are plenty of people in that crowd who have done a lot of good and plenty before them like Paul Newman. These are the ones who will be dejected over comments like this which is the only reason I'd take issue. You can't just blanket dismiss and malign an entire room of do gooders because some of them will be genuine honest to god do gooders.

I only got around to watching this tonight. Some it was close to the bone alright, for sure, but I don't think he's actually tarring everyone there with the same brush. Of those people in the room, I suspect most of them are not like Paul Newman. Gervais isn't having a go at people like that. He can't be expected to tailor his jokes to take account for the minority.

This room is filled with people who are living in a different world to the rest of us, and at that stage that includes himself, let's not kid ourselves. He's rich, but he's also in a position of host which lets him take the shots he's taking. I don't know the man personally, but he does strike me as much less of a Hollywood celebrity than many of those caught on camera during that speech, he seems to have retained a bit of who he used to be. He's not perfect by any metric, but he's a hell of a lot better than most of the "Hollywood elite" from what I can tell. And if that's what it takes to take shots at the others, then I'm ok with that.

Very few celebrities (much like very few people) are genuinely altruistic, they're just very rich and have good PR teams. Most of them got their riches through an industry rife with Weinstein and, let's be honest, Epstein type characters, and you'd be deluded to think they were ignorant of everything that went on. And if you ignore and turn a blind eye, you deserve to get criticised for it, and Gervais highlights that.

• Advertisement

Baltimore dispatched at home by Tennessee. Madness!

That's two playoff wins for Tennessee with under 100 passing yards in both games. Run, run and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You have to feel kind of sorry for Cousins. Gets his first ever playoff win in the 7 seasons he's been in the NFL, and then the following week gets sacked 6 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I only got around to watching this tonight. Some it was close to the bone alright, for sure, but I don't think he's actually tarring everyone there with the same brush. Of those people in the room, I suspect most of them are not like Paul Newman. Gervais isn't having a go at people like that. He can't be expected to tailor his jokes to take account for the minority.

This room is filled with people who are living in a different world to the rest of us, and at that stage that includes himself, let's not kid ourselves. He's rich, but he's also in a position of host which lets him take the shots he's taking. I don't know the man personally, but he does strike me as much less of a Hollywood celebrity than many of those caught on camera during that speech, he seems to have retained a bit of who he used to be. He's not perfect by any metric, but he's a hell of a lot better than most of the "Hollywood elite" from what I can tell. And if that's what it takes to take shots at the others, then I'm ok with that.

Very few celebrities (much like very few people) are genuinely altruistic, they're just very rich and have good PR teams. Most of them got their riches through an industry rife with Weinstein and, let's be honest, Epstein type characters, and you'd be deluded to think they were ignorant of everything that went on. And if you ignore and turn a blind eye, you deserve to get criticised for it, and Gervais highlights that.

As I posted in another thread....

Stella McCartney on Twitter calling Joaquin Phoenix a "hero".

Why?

No you're not even close.

Mr Phoenix will wear the same tuxedo to all this years award ceremonies.
    That's right......a hero.

Mind you after getting slaughtered (and rightly so) in the comments sections she changed it to winner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Jaoquin is a hero or winner for not changing his clothes I deserve a statue!

Nightmare start for the Chiefs. Here comes potentially another upset.

Nightmare start for the Chiefs. Here comes potentially another upset.

Not seen a playoffs like this ever before. So far 9ers about the only team playing to expectations.

That return was desperately needed. KC back in it.

Well this is the weirdest game in the history of the universe.

Houston unleashing their inner Mayo.

• Advertisement

41 unanswered points. 41!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement