Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah lads you're killing me here. I'm an unashamed Gervais fan. Remember watching the first episode of the office the first night it went out and thought WOW...this is new and it is brilliant.

To be fair his stuff (bar extras) did go downhill a bit after that and I'll admit that afterlife wasn't particularly good but if I'm ever in need of a laugh I'll rewatch the office or extras or even his early podcasts.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ah lads you're killing me here. I'm an unashamed Gervais fan. Remember watching the first episode of the office the first night it went out and thought WOW...this is new and it is brilliant.

To be fair his stuff (bar extras) did go downhill a bit after that and I'll admit that afterlife wasn't particularly good but if I'm ever in need of a laugh I'll rewatch the office or extras or even his early podcasts.

I find him funny at times, humourless and crass at others. I imagine in some circles in holywood he'll be less popular than the Royal Irish Constabulary...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, I'm a fan I think. Maybe he is a hypocrit, but I'm not sure he'd deny that if you asked him.

Most importantly he's not standing there pretending its okay that hardly any women or minorities got nominated. Or that many Hollywood elite have been revealed as scum bags recently.

Humour is subjective. I find him self indulgent, crass and hilarious. I can see why people can't stand him. I'm a bit of a fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Humour is subjective. I find him self indulgent, crass and hilarious. I can see why people can't stand him. I'm a bit of a fanboy.

I don't have to agree with or even like someone to find them funny either. A lot of humour is insincere and/or absurd so critiquing the perceived qualities of the vessel is kinda missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm fairly ambivalent on Gervais. He can be quite irritating but also entertaining at times. I'm surprised people are so critical at his performance the other night in relation to hypocrisy. These are jokes. They're not meant to be taken seriously or someone's genuine politics or opinions attacked thereafter. As he said at the start of his monologue....these are just jokes. They don't mean that Gervais sees himself as better or above others in the room or that he believes everyone in the room is a reprobate. It's an award ceremony where multi-millionaires get together in a room in Beverley Hills to congratulate one another. If it's not the time for a bit of fun to be poked at people then when is?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just to play Devil's advocate - aren't netflix a fairly conscientious company?

Sure. And the streaming arms of the others are fairly conscientious as well I’m sure given the tiny exposure that tech companies have to that sort of mischief if they want to.

But for him to stand there and heavily criticise those companies who are his biggest competitors and also enthusiastically commend films made by his employer is not a good look imo.

Not to mention him now going around and blocking anyone on Twitter who now make genuinely funny and often not at all mean jokes about him. He’s cowardly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone here got Siro broadband, if so what are your thoughts on it? It looks like it's recently become available to me and was thinking about switching from Virgin Media

Media in the UK is incredibly ugly. Vicious even.

Bullied the royal couple out of the country and now calls them 'quitters'.

I'm surprised people are ok with it. Enjoy it even.

Really gotten very nasty the last decade.

It was nasty long, long before 2010.

A large portion of us have just stopped being so tolerant and accepting of it as "just how it is".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's been nasty since at least 1989, as Liverpool can attest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The only difference is it's become more overt. They're not even bothering to be subtle about it now.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The only difference is it's become more overt. They're not even bothering to be subtle about it now.

They really weren't shy about it back in the 80s, either. That's when The Sun was in its pomp and was able to throw the most damaging and absurd accusations out. Hillsborough, Thatcher, the Falklands, AIDS etc. They openly went after politicians who didn't fit their right wing agenda and actively propped up the Tories. And keep in mind, they had far more influence in British society than any newspaper has today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I wonder how much the voting trends in Liverpool reflect the lack of influence that the Sun has in that particular city, or if it's really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone here got Siro broadband, if so what are your thoughts on it? It looks like it's recently become available to me and was thinking about switching from Virgin Media

I got it in over a month ago, saving a good bit of money compared to Virgin. Had a couple of problems at the start with siro outages in our area and had to get the router replaced but grand now. We are with Vodafone. The speed is faster than Virgin but obviously never hit 1Gbit on wireless, don't regret moving.

steves2 wrote: »
    I got it in over a month ago, saving a good bit of money compared to Virgin. Had a couple of problems at the start with siro outages in our area and had to get the router replaced but grand now. We are with Vodafone. The speed is faster than Virgin but obviously never hit 1Gbit on wireless, don't regret moving.

Thanks I took the plunge yesterday and switched, figured I could always back out if I got a load of bad feedback all of a sudden, so good to hear that it worked for you

It would take a lot for me to leave virgin. Most reliable internet I've ever had and consistently so over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It would take a lot for me to leave virgin. Most reliable internet I've ever had and consistently so over a long period of time.

I've almost always regretted leaving the times I've left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I have my Virgin internet and my desktop plugged into it by ethernet instead of using WiFi and I basically get 100% of the advertised speed all the time. I might have had to reset the router thing once or twice but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Yeh I have to say I had few problems with them but like all the other service companies they don't value you unless you're a new customer. I could go back to Virgin in a year and still get a better deal than they offered me recently.

• Advertisement

steves2 wrote: »
    Yeh I have to say I had few problems with them but like all the other service companies they don't value you unless you're a new customer. I could go back to Virgin in a year and still get a better deal than they offered me recently.

I've always gotten decent deal from them. When it comes to renewal I ring up to cancel and stick to that until someone with the word 'retention' in their job title ends up on the phone to me. Then it's a one way trip to discountsville.

Mines up soon actually... based on this thread I'll tell them I'm switching to Siro :D

I've always gotten decent deal from them. When it comes to renewal I ring up to cancel and stick to that until someone with the word 'retention' in their job title ends up on the phone to me. Then it's a one way trip to discountsville.

Mines up soon actually... based on this thread I'll tell them I'm switching to Siro :D

Funny enough that's exactly what I was doing. I figured I'd have a look at other offers just for bargaining power and cane across the siro offer. The price difference, coupled with the speed difference was too much not to give it a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ordered all the parts for my first computer build. I'll be using it for work only as I don't game at all anymore. I was going to buy one off the shelf but the prices were ridiculous for the spec. The parts I bought (thanks to advice on the building forum here) should give me a very decent spec for far less than what I'd pay. Fingers crossed I don't **** it up

Synode wrote: »
    Ordered all the parts for my first computer build. I'll be using it for work only as I don't game at all anymore. I was going to buy one off the shelf but the prices were ridiculous for the spec. The parts I bought (thanks to advice on the building forum here) should give me a very decent spec for far less than what I'd pay. Fingers crossed I don't **** it up

Built mine over the holidays. Absolute brute, delighted with it. Hope yours go well!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

built my home PC 8 years ago with the help of that forum, and its still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭swiwi_

After watching "Focus on the troubles" it's amazing to see power sharing on the table again.

Anyhoo, tech-wise, I haven't built my own computer. Too lazy...and perfectly happy with my iMac TBH. Was not that impressed with my iPhone SE (shiiiit battery life) but the iPhone XR I have now is fantastic. Android smandroid - I like airplay...especially to the Sonos surround system I got myself...had to get an HDMI splitter because the TV would only send out stereo and not Dolby sound from it's HDMI-CEC port or it's optical ports. Pretty impressed with Sonos - didn't spend too much and it works well and sounds good to my tone-deaf ears. Sure, I'm sure if you buy proper audio gear you get better sound...but the money spent goes up astronomically.

Oh, and after 21 years of loyal service, I replaced my Longines watch with an Oris Aquis Date...Oris is still an independent Swiss watch company, not swallowed up by Swatch, LVMH etc...and I always wanted an automatic watch rather than quartz. Pretty damn happy with it so far, although if I had to wear a shirt every day, I'd get a dress watch rather than a diver.

Happy New Year to all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Happy new year Swiwi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Oh, and after 21 years of loyal service, I replaced my Longines watch with an Oris Aquis Date...Oris is still an independent Swiss watch company, not swallowed up by Swatch, LVMH etc...and I always wanted an automatic watch rather than quartz. Pretty damn happy with it so far, although if I had to wear a shirt every day, I'd get a dress watch rather than a diver.

I recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music watch. Have to say one of my favourite purchases ever. You can save music onto it so can do exercise without having to carry a phone or other device (just need Bluetooth earphones). It also gathers a serious amount of information on daily activity and night time sleep. Bought it primarily as a golf rangefinder but find I'm using it for everything else more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music watch. Have to say one of my favourite purchases ever. You can save music onto it so can do exercise without having to carry a phone or other device (just need Bluetooth earphones). It also gathers a serious amount of information on daily activity and night time sleep. Bought it primarily as a golf rangefinder but find I'm using it for everything else more

Yeah there's a watch out there for everyone. I looked initially at Hamilton and Frederique Constant, then Mido before settling on Oris.

I went off Garmin when I had one of their GPS which stopped working (think the circuit board unglued from the screen) and they didn't want to know about it. By then smartphones were available with google maps and I didn't really need a Garmin anymore. But I think their watches are supposed to be pretty good if you are looking for the sport functions.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RIP Neil Peart.

Incredible drummer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement