Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

NFL playoffs starting off with an absolute cracker of a second half between Houston and Buffalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

NFL playoffs starting off with an absolute cracker of a second half between Houston and Buffalo.

Is that the wild card weekend thing on ESPN? I’m playing a gig in a pub and the game is on the TV. It feels like I’ve been playing for 5 hours and that game is still going on talk about a bum number.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I thought they'd changed the playoff OT rules so it wasn't next score wins on the second possession?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is that the wild card weekend thing on ESPN? I’m playing a gig in a pub and the game is on the TV. It feels like I’ve been playing for 5 hours and that game is still going on talk about a bum number.

Indeed it was. It dragged on thanks to overtime but it was certainly not a drag entertainment wise. Madness.
    I thought they'd changed the playoff OT rules so it wasn't next score wins on the second possession?

Not that I'm aware of, though they really should.

Patriots dynasty looks to be over. I can't see Brady doing another year unless they go mental in the offseason and sign a heap of targets for him. McDaniels is likely gone too for one of the HC jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Patriots dynasty looks to be over. I can't see Brady doing another year unless they go mental in the offseason and sign a heap of targets for him. McDaniels is likely gone too for one of the HC jobs.

McDaniels made an absolute balls of my precious Broncos.

The Brady era needs to end. It's getting boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Brady has already said it's unlikely that he quits now. The only question is if he wants to leave NE and finish his career closer to home in California.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Patriots. It was always going to end when Brady and BB departed but I still wouldn't bet against one last playoff run next year.

They sorely lacked receiving options this year. Another year of training and development and Harry could be that target for Brady.

I was absolutely delighted to see BB losing his cool when the Titans killed the clock with deliberate delay of game penalties. It was utterly delightful to see him in full hypocrisy mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Buer wrote: »
    Brady has already said it's unlikely that he quits now. The only question is if he wants to leave NE and finish his career closer to home in California.

I think the writing is on the wall for the Patriots. It was always going to end when Brady and BB departed but I still wouldn't bet against one last playoff run next year.

They sorely lacked receiving options this year. Another year of training and development and Harry could be that target for Brady.

I was absolutely delighted to see BB losing his cool when the Titans killed the clock with deliberate delay of game penalties. It was utterly delightful to see him in full hypocrisy mode.

Especially after trolling the Jets in similar fashion earlier in the season. Everything points to the Patriots entering a downward spiral for the foreseeable future, they've an ageing secondary, their primary receivers Edelman and Sanu are over 30. The latter cost them a 2nd round pick in this year's draft which was a head scratcher at the time and more so now. Harry is more of a splash play receiver and its hard to gauge how they pan out in the pro game. The Bills should also improve next year and be legitimate contenders for the division. Feels strange to write the Patriots off but they'll really need to luck out in the offseason and hope Brady can keep playing at a high level to be a contender next season.

Buer wrote: »

If you choose to believe the stories regarding the Garoppolo trade, there's been some conflict between BB, Kraft and Brady for a while. This feels like the end of Brady at the Patriots.

I could see the Raiders being interested in him. Brady in Las Vegas would be a big marketing signing and they can cut Derek Carr to make room for him. The Chargers also desperately need attention as their move to LA to this point has been a bust, plus they are moving to their ground share with the Rams next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't really see why any team would be interested in Brady at this point to be honest. They will get maybe a season or two out of him and his play is likely to drop off even further next season. Why bother?

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't really see why any team would be interested in Brady at this point to be honest. They will get maybe a season or two out of him and his play is likely to drop off even further next season. Why bother?

If Rivers doesn't re-sign for the Chargers then Brady would be an ideal signing for them, not in terms of performance but more dragging in sponsorship and fans/media and letting us draft in the first round and give whatever QB we end up with a year to sit and learn from someone like him. The LA move was possibly the worst thing Spanos and co could have done and it looks like we'll have to sign a vet in free agency anyways in Rivers decides he wants to go elsewhere because there's been no contingency planning.

Heading towards another upset with the Vikings dominant in New Orleans.

Going to be another cracker of a finish here. Brees isn't going to let this one go easy.

Taysom Hill is going to single handedly win this for the Saints

Edit: nevermind, Brees might have lost it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Big balls from Lutz to save it at the death. No way his earlier miss wasn't in his head. Gotta fancy Brees to deliver in OT. That catch from Thomas on the drive to the FG was top class.

I can't really figure out what it is but Cousins bugs me. I'd much rather the Saints win.

Some performance on that drive by Cousins in fairness to him.

They really need to change the playoff OT rules though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ah you got to admire Cousins.
    Been around awhile now and has a bad record in the big games. Great pass to Thielen to set up the win.

As for Patriots. They’ll be back next year to win the AFC. 1 more year.
    BB will sort out those receivers and free agencies.
    Brady MVP in the SB LV and will announce retirement after lifting the Lombardi and slapping Goodell across the face!

Ricky Gervais monologue at the Golden Globes is something else. He really went full ham on it, a lot of sour faces in the crowd.

https://twitter.com/ShefVaidya/status/1214125783830220800?s=20

Ricky Gervais monologue at the Golden Globes is something else. He really went full ham on it, a lot of sour faces in the crowd.

https://twitter.com/ShefVaidya/status/1214125783830220800?s=20

Some of it was below the belt. Some of it was genuinely very funny. Plenty of idiots in society, some of them become rich and famous and get in front of causes in a smug, hypocritical almost entitled fashion.

But there are plenty of people in that crowd who have done a lot of good and plenty before them like Paul Newman. These are the ones who will be dejected over comments like this which is the only reason I'd take issue. You can't just blanket dismiss and malign an entire room of do gooders because some of them will be genuine honest to god do gooders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some of it was below the belt. Some of it was genuinely very funny. Plenty of idiots in society, some of them become rich and famous and get in front of causes in a smug, hypocritical almost entitled fashion.

But there are plenty of people in that crowd who have done a lot of good and plenty before them like Paul Newman. These are the ones who will be dejected over comments like this which is the only reason I'd take issue. You can't just blanket dismiss and malign an entire room of do gooders because some of them will be genuine honest to god do gooders.
    I thought he was more than a bit hypocritical as well. As if he's some kind of outsider when he's not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Isn't Gervais himself pretty vocal about animal rights? But hypocitical to tell others not to get political.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Took a good shot at Amazon and Apple's streaming services there. Wonder why he'd do that, were there any big streaming services he left out that he might have some sort of ongoing extremely lucrative professional relationship with maybe? Also was very complimentary of The Irishman, wonder who owns the rights to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Took a good shot at Amazon and Apple's streaming services there. Wonder why he'd do that, were there any big streaming services he left out that he might have some sort of ongoing extremely lucrative professional relationship with maybe? Also was very complimentary of The Irishman, wonder who owns the rights to that!
    Yeah. That was one of the first things that struck me as being hypocritical. Plus giving his show a plug as well.

Just to play Devil's advocate - aren't netflix a fairly conscientious company?

I think there's a couple of facets to it. He definitely was pushing an agenda in terms of the way he opened by saying he should just hand Netflix all the awards, and then promoting his own show, and the comments about not being educated and making political statements is quite daft. There's some fairly educated people in the room who've done great things for society, and he himself is very vocal on certain issues.

However, it's fairly obvious that he's disillusioned with Hollywood in its current form, and that's probably the first time in a public setting that a lot of people in that crowd were put on blast for some of the things that have gone on in their circle. Not that they'll really heed any notice of it in the end, but it was sort of fulfilling to see them squirm in a way, on a night they thought was going to celebrate them and be seen as faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can't stand him.

His only contribution to comedy was playing a tosser; and it just became sad when we found out that he was barely acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Can't stand him.

His only contribution to comedy was playing a tosser; and it just became sad when we found out that he was barely acting.

*puts Neil on ignore list*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mfceiling wrote: »
    *puts Neil on ignore list*

#Woah woah not a good feeling

#Blacklisted by mfceiling

#Woah woah not a good feeling

#Blacklisted by mfceiling

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can't stand him.

Agree 100% he’s a school yard bully with a bigger platform. Despite his animal rights activism, I could easily imagine him pulling the wings off fly’s as a child.

That was the thing that struck me about his hypocrisy too, he uses his position as a platform for animal rights. So does his sh1t just smell better.

That said, there were parts of the speech I found quite amusing, which is unusual for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement