Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had the misfortune of dropping the young one down to rathmines earlier and then a 40 minute drive back home. A journey that normally takes 10 - 12 mins.

I've said it before but all the carbon cutting and carbon taxes in the world wont be worth a shìte because of the rampant consumerism in the world. People coming out of shops laden down with stuff. People wheeling trolleys that are overflowing with groceries. And all for ONE DAY!!

If war doesn't kill us all first then consuming will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Had the misfortune of dropping the young one down to rathmines earlier and then a 40 minute drive back home. A journey that normally takes 10 - 12 mins.

I've said it before but all the carbon cutting and carbon taxes in the world wont be worth a shìte because of the rampant consumerism in the world. People coming out of shops laden down with stuff. People wheeling trolleys that are overflowing with groceries. And all for ONE DAY!!

If war doesn't kill us all first then consuming will.

I was 8n supervalu yesterday and the woman in front of me spent 365 euro on groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stheno wrote: »
    I was 8n supervalu yesterday and the woman in front of me spent 365 euro on groceries

She must just have been doing the small shop, she'll probably do the full one tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The queues on Thursday morning are what get me. The day after Christmas, queuing up in the cold to get a fiver off a kettle or a TV that you're probably saving 50 quid on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can carry over five days. I assume that's standard.

Seems to be different everywhere. I can carry over all but 10 days which apparently is the legal minimum staff must take. You'd be mad to only take 10 days though, and any carry over must be used the following year.
    We get time off in lieu for extra hours worked, being an agency with a lot of field staff and a lot of unsocial hours staff were building up huge amounts of unused TOIL, so they introduced a policy where staff can only carry over 80 hours. The untaken hours accrued were banked as historic TOIL and I know some staff who could take the next year off on paid leave if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The queues on Thursday morning are what get me. The day after Christmas, queuing up in the cold to get a fiver off a kettle or a TV that you're probably saving 50 quid on.

Very few people queue now though? Some furniture places and the likes of Arnott’s where you might get a decent bargain. Most places the sales are using sale specific stock, no real bargains at all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Brought my daughter to see Santa earlier and there was like chickens and stuff running about. All the other kids running around saying “CHICKEN” and there’s my one running around pointing at them shouting “DINNER”.

Don’t think I’ve to worry about any militant veganism in my gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Finished the Witcher. It's a solid enough first season but they got a lot wrong. Second and third episodes were honestly quite poor but it picked up from there. 4 - 6 were good and the last episode was good for the most part.

I actually felt that the "monster of the week" episodes (ie 1-6) were the strongest, though I realised (through reading the books, playing the games, etc) that the timelines were different. The plot forwarding episodes seven and eight were very all over the place though and the impactful moments that should have been (Ithlinne's Prophecy, the Law of Surprise at the farm, etc) were very underwhelming. 1-5 were great, 6 was a bit dodge in a few moments (the Aard kiss, ugh, for example).

Cavill is excellent though, Chalotra as Yennefer is very good and whoever cast Joey Batey as Jaskier/Dandelion was ****ing inspired. He's absolute perfect. Triss is ****e though. They need to tighten up on the overall writing and stop some silly ****. I hope the budget increases.

The "critic score" versus the "viewer score" on sites is ridiculous though. You'd really have to wonder if reviewer sites are being paid (by Disney) to **** on this. Or is it just game players/book readers bailing in and upping the viewer score?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Countney Lawes is a Tory.

I don't know why I'm so surprised by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm guessing we can't talk about it, and it's probably fake anyway, but I urge everyone who wants a bit of a laugh to check out why Bertie Ahern is trending on Twitter

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm guessing we can't talk about it, and it's probably fake anyway, but I urge everyone who wants a bit of a laugh to check out why Bertie Ahern is trending on Twitter

Beyond fake, like the Tinder story about him, but still hilarious.

Also, check out the Arlene Foster rumours if you're struggling to purge yourself of any excess alcohol this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What sort of job do you have that lets you accrue 72 days holidays??

My working day is 7 hours and I get to carry anything over that as holidays. I usually amass a day or two a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Clegg wrote: »
    Also, check out the Arlene Foster rumours if you're struggling to purge yourself of any excess alcohol this Christmas.

Cash for ass scandal incoming!

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Cash for ass scandal incoming!

Oh God.

Take your upvote and never post here again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My working day is 7 hours and I get to carry anything over that as holidays. I usually amass a day or two a week.

Civil servant?

Clegg wrote: »

Scandal brewing in the NI driver licensing office. How can a blind man get a driving licence?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Scandal brewing in the NI driver licensing office. How can a blind man get a driving licence?

Reminds me of the old joke my uncle used to love sending to people.

Arlene Foster was touring the country in her chauffeur driven car when suddenly a cow comes into the road. The driver hit the cow full on, and Arlene tells him to get out and tell the farmer. The driver goes off, and comes back about 5 hours later absolutely locked and a big grin on his face. She asks "what on Earth happened to you and where have you been?" To which the driver responded "well Mrs Foster, I went up to the farmers house and he gave me his finest bottle of whiskey, his wife made me dinner and then I slept with his daughter". She responded "what did you say to him?". Driver : "well I knocked on the door and said I'm Arlene Foster's chaffeur and I've just killed the cow".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

awec wrote: »
    Civil servant?

Nope, Software developer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happy Christmas y'all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stheno wrote: »
    Happy Christmas y'all:)

Same to yourself and the rest of you jolly feckers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Same to yourself and the rest of you jolly feckers on here.

Ho ho ho, merry christmas!

I may be drinking. It's the only way I could get through the flat pack presents "Mrs Claus" got the young one this year. Yes, flat pack. It just follows me the f*** around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »

I may be drinking. It's the only way I could get through the flat pack presents "Mrs Claus" got the young one this year. Yes, flat pack. It just follows me the f*** around.

Hope it came with instructions

molloyjh wrote: »

Only finished flatpack assembly here too. I thought Santa had elves for this sh1t! Kids have flu so off to bed for half hour sleep before I'm cleaning up vomit or giving a Calpol suppository. I miss going on the lash in the local for Christmas Eve!

Happy Christmas all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ye filthy animals.

Lego.

Everywhere.

Have a great day all!

Lego.

Everywhere.

Have a great day all!

Yeah but what did the kids get Venjur?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Hope it came with instructions

Surprisingly each peice was numbered in the order it was to be used in the assembly and the instructions were fairly straightforward. It was still flat pack, so it was still a pain in the @ss and there was was some cursing. But as flat pack went it wasn't the worst.

My folks got her something similar that apparently had no instructions at all. I can only imagine the scenes....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Happy Christmas all! Hope the dinners are savage and you’re all blessed with no training until the new year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

All the best from the US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement