Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah exactly. But it’s like riding a bike, once you know how to do it, it works and it’s very rewarding.

Although I will say you need an employer who will push you, people have gone utterly insane working from home slipping through the gaps

I don’t do it at the moment because it doesn’t work in early startup culture but I can’t wait to get back to it

Yeah I think it's more than likely the fact that our team is managed with a "hands off approach" aka nobody really manages us outside of project managers during sprints, it's very easy to fall down the rabbit hole of watching YouTube videos instead of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I work events and have for years either in hospitality or event management roles. 9-5 office job hasnt ever existed for me bar couple of summers when in college when i worked in a bank
    Nothing on for next 2 weekends but then everything kicks off Spice Girls/Rod Stewart/Metallica/Coronas/Fleetwood Mac and few others all on consecutive weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster hurling. Can't bate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tipp looking very good but maybe peaking too soon. Cork ****e at the back.

Tipp looking very good but maybe peaking too soon. Cork ****e at the back.

Cork go to Limerick next Sunday, it's not going to get easier.

A few draws aside, there was only two away wins in Munster last season. That's been equalled already today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Huge for tipp. matched last years points tally for Munster championship already
    Huge score from play for Tipp but will have to look at number of chances given to Cork in terms of placed balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Think Limerick will get a bit of a land this year. Lot of people anointing them already forgetting that KK had them on the ropes last year and Cork collapsed against them in semi.

Fancy Cork to improve a lot and turn them over next week. Munster is such a dogfight that a loss would put them under pressure immediately.

You can't predict much alright. Munster was very close last year. Tipp finished winless but had two draws and lost by only two points against Clare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Only one more week of annoyance to go folks!
    That was muck

Mind you, phenomenally well filmed muck. They clearly just don’t have enough time to do this justice.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Only one more week of annoyance to go folks!
    That was muck

Mind you, phenomenally well filmed muck. They clearly just don’t have enough time to do this justice.

80 minute episode and I skipped through in 20 minutes just to get the major plot points having coffee before work.

It's a staggering collapse in quality, I've gone from a huge fan to disinterested in 3 episodes.

What a huge f**k up of a season, tarnished 7 years of excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Mind you, phenomenally well filmed muck. They clearly just don’t have enough time to do this justice. [/spoiler]

It's not just time they don't have. They don't have the ability, or the desire to finish this properly, even if they wanted to. Absolute hacks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Production wise I thought it was genuinely incredible.

Plot wise it follows on with the rest of season 8 in being weak.

GoT Ep 5
    The demise of Varys deserved more time. A major character who was fine one minute and then taken away, sentenced to die and executed ten minutes later. While he most likely expected to die (remember the scene with Melisandre), no time was given to flesh out Tyrion's betrayal or Varys' defence of his actions. The most annoyed I've ever been watching the show. Everything is so rushed.

Otherwise I echo the previous posts. The production levels are stunning. I absolutely loved the "battle" if you could even call it that, it turned out to be more like a genocide of King's Landing. If I want to nitpick, Tlthe buildup of the Golden Company was bizarre in hindsight, they amounted to nothing. Introducing the Strickland character led to nothing either.

Also, Euron Greyjoy turning into the Team Rocket of the show got old.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

One of the best filmed and scored episodes in television history. And also most controversial. Lovely stuff!

Cersei is one of the best characters in TV history. Lena Headey deserves every award out there.

It’s a shame that they didn’t just do the whole thing over 10 episodes both to pace it far better and to really draw out the misery of the whole thing for the internet geniuses! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

It’s a shame that they didn’t just do the whole thing over 10 episodes both to pace it far better and to really draw out the misery of the whole thing for the internet geniuses! :D

I really don't see why they went for the 6 long episodes. With the exception of the battle of Winterfell (which had it's own problems) none of the episodes wouldn't have benefited from the extra breathing room.
    I'm sure these guys could have asked HBO for whatever format they wanted. even doing one or two long episodes would have been fine if they could justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Do any of you f*ckers actually work? How has everyone watched an 80 minute episode by lunch time?!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Do any of you f*ckers actually work? How has everyone watched an 80 minute episode by lunch time?!

I watch it before work to be sure I avoid spoilers.

awec wrote: »
    I watch it before work to be sure I avoid spoilers.

Same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I actually enjoyed it and I've hated this season
    I think I'm literally the only person not raging about Cleganebowl. Thought it was a fitting way to go for the Hound. Qyburn's death was a little disappointing. He's a side character I've really enjoyed along with Vary's but the rushed nature of it is fine considering how much else they made a bollocks of this season

I won't miss this when it finishes next week tbh. This season will go down as one of the biggest letdowns in television history surely.

I actually enjoyed it and I've hated this season
    I think I'm literally the only person not raging about Cleganebowl. Thought it was a fitting way to go for the Hound. Qyburn's death was a little disappointing. He's a side character I've really enjoyed along with Vary's but the rushed nature of it is fine considering how much else they made a bollocks of this season

I won't miss this when it finishes next week tbh. This season will go down as one of the biggest letdowns in television history surely.

As to your last point - it's an interesting one. I've never seen people go to bat defending a show so badly on social media so I don't think we'll see the really harsh criticism for a while.

I can't see next week saving the show and I think when things die down the drop in quality of the last season will become a meme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I loved that episode again, even if I didnt love how it got there. This season and last have been incredibly rushed, and while it has meant the show hasn't been as strong as previous seasons I do think some of the payoffs have been really good. We still have no idea how it's going to end with 1 episode to go, which for me is a real positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    I loved that episode again, even if I didnt love how it got there. This season and last have been incredibly rushed, and while it has meant the show hasn't been as strong as previous seasons I do think some of the payoffs have been really good. We still have no idea how it's going to end with 1 episode to go, which for me is a real positive.

I thought that was the best episode.of the series so far.
    Varys's demise definitely needed to have been played out a lot longer, but it was brutal (in a good way) stuff. I ended up hating Danearys and sympathising with Cersei!

Although I did laugh out loud and the way Cersei's hand bit the dust!

!

Maybe if some of you guys didn't watch GoT at 7am on a Monday morning you might enjoy it a bit more!

80 minute episode and I skipped through in 20 minutes just to get the major plot points having coffee before work.

It's a staggering collapse in quality, I've gone from a huge fan to disinterested in 3 episodes.

What a huge f**k up of a season, tarnished 7 years of excellence.

Haha...if you skip through an 80 minute episode in 20 minutes then it sounds like you'd made your mind up it was crap before even watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I really don't see why they went for the 6 long episodes. With the exception of the battle of Winterfell (which had it's own problems) none of the episodes wouldn't have benefited from the extra breathing room.
    I'm sure these guys could have asked HBO for whatever format they wanted. even doing one or two long episodes would have been fine if they could justify it.
    HBO wanted 10 episodes for 7 and 8 ( maybe more?) Martin himself said it needed another 5 seasons to be done properly. D&D and just done with GoT and mentally checked out a while ago. Large parts of this season can be summed up as throwing alphabet soup on paper.

As for the episode itself I rather enjoyed it for the most part but similar to other parts of the story like the Battle of Winterfell it feels like D&D just thought to themselves "you know all that foreshadowing and prophecies stuff? Nah f**k that, lets do something unexpected and out of left field. In that vein I really thought Jamie was going to ring the bells to get them to lower their guard.

Ayra this episode displayed a very special sort of plot armour. That of, GRR Martin's wife said she'd leave him if anything happened to her, armour.

Also, Euron. I have never despised a character more in my life. Not because the story requires me to hate him but because he's a douchy Jack Sparrow wannabe who doesn't deserve the wins he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think it was probably the best episode of the season so far. Still not nearly as good as earlier seasons but more true to them at least. Anybody expecting satisfying endings for their favourite/least favourite characters clearly has forgotten how the books/earlier seasons went. It was still a bit predictable though. Literally everyone I know called the "twist" coming into the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think it was probably the best episode of the season so far. Still not nearly as good as earlier seasons but more true to them at least. Anybody expecting satisfying endings for their favourite/least favourite characters clearly has forgotten how the books/earlier seasons went. It was still a bit predictable though. Literally everyone I know called the "twist" coming into the episode.
    I don't think it's so much about satisfying endings but more about how they reach them. Varys was a great secondary character known for his subtlety and smarts. Jon pulls up on a beach and Varys runs up to him, asking him to betray Daenerys immediately and winds up executed in the next scene. It doesn't match up to his character whatsoever.

Last week we see the Iron Fleet kill a dragon and Daenerys flee barely with the surviving dragon. This week the one dragon wipes out the entire fleet and all defences of Kings Landing in a few minutes with only a couple of shots fired.

The Golden Company are an elite force that were mentioned a number of times and built up significantly. Wiped in seconds without any involvement.

It's disappointing because they've just obviously run out of steam and hit the fast forward button to ensure the show is wrapped up and done with. The descent of Daenerys into full blown insanity where she betrays everything she stood for has literally taken 2 episodes.

It could have been the greatest show ever made. Instead it's dying rapidly. It's a shame because the visuals, score and acting are all still absolutely top notch (and possibly even improved). But the storyline and writing has just fallen apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Bazzo wrote: »

I'm kinda curious about which bit was meant to be "the twist"? It all seemed like a very linear story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really enjoyed that episode. Most things seemed on character if some things slightly rushed.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think it's so much about satisfying endings but more about how they reach them. Varys was a great secondary character known for his subtlety and smarts. Jon pulls up on a beach and Varys runs up to him, asking him to betray Daenerys immediately and winds up executed in the next scene. It doesn't match up to his character whatsoever.
    I thought similar and posted as such here but then I was advised on the GoT forum that Varys may have been attempting to poison Daenerys. It would explain his opening scene where he asks the girl (a little bird?) if Daenerys is eating. It would fit Pycelle's line from season 1 of poison being a weapon of "women, cravens and eunuchs". Then again, if this was the case it wasn't fleshed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement