Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I thought similar and posted as such here but then I was advised on the GoT forum that Varys may have been attempting to poison Daenerys. It would explain his opening scene where he asks the girl (a little bird?) if Daenerys is eating. It would fit Pycelle's line from season 1 of poison being a weapon of "women, cravens and eunuchs". Then again, if this was the case it wasn't fleshed out.
    That's just making excuses for it now though. People are writing their own plot to fit around what's actually in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think it's so much about satisfying endings but more about how they reach them. Varys was a great secondary character known for his subtlety and smarts. Jon pulls up on a beach and Varys runs up to him, asking him to betray Daenerys immediately and winds up executed in the next scene. It doesn't match up to his character whatsoever.

Last week we see the Iron Fleet kill a dragon and Daenerys flee barely with the surviving dragon. This week the one dragon wipes out the entire fleet and all defences of Kings Landing in a few minutes with only a couple of shots fired.

The Golden Company are an elite force that were mentioned a number of times and built up significantly. Wiped in seconds without any involvement.

It's disappointing because they've just obviously run out of steam and hit the fast forward button to ensure the show is wrapped up and done with. The descent of Daenerys into full blown insanity where she betrays everything she stood for has literally taken 2 episodes.

It could have been the greatest show ever made. Instead it's dying rapidly. It's a shame because the visuals, score and acting are all still absolutely top notch (and possibly even improved). But the storyline and writing has just fallen apart.

It's the fault of whoever decided to commission 6 episodes. In reality it needed another series, but even 10 episodes for season 8 would have made a difference.
    Varys deserved an entire episode building up to his death

I still enjoyed the rest of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

bilston wrote: »
    It's the fault of whoever decided to commission 6 episodes. In reality it needed another series, but even 10 episodes for season 8 would have made a difference.

Agreed. There was a great chance to have him in a dungeon with John coming to visit him like he did with Ned in season 1.

Haha...if you skip through an 80 minute episode in 20 minutes then it sounds like you'd made your mind up it was crap before even watching it!

I watched the full episode last night, I was more making the point that I don't really care about the nuance anymore as the show runners clearly don't.

I thought it was an OK episode but it has no cohesion with previous episodes and seasons and it's all just very careless and ham-fisted.

Rumour doing the rounds the books are due for release as soon as the show is over and if this is the case I'm more interested to see where they take things as the show has gone completely flat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Rumour doing the rounds the books are due for release as soon as the show is over and if this is the case I'm more interested to see where they take things as the show has gone completely flat.

He has come out and denied it and I can pretty readily believe him because he's clearly crap at writing at any kind of reasonable speed, has got himself tied in ridiculous knots and is never actually going to finish them.
    I've seen a lot of defences of the show suggesting there was lots of foreshadowing to Dany's actions. It was clearly obvious this was going to happen, but it was still handled like crap and didn't even need to be as ludicrously over the top as it was. Massacring an entire city of civilians who have just surrendered is a wee bit of a leap even from her burn-heavy actions of the past. The issue is not where they ended up, it is how they got there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The show writers insisted on the schedule, HBO was offering them more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He has come out and denied it and I can pretty readily believe him because he's clearly crap at writing at any kind of reasonable speed, has got himself tied in ridiculous knots and is never actually going to finish them.
    Very robust and logical in his denial. As if publishers would allow him sit on books that are absolute goldmines for them. Or for the same reasons, he would. Just doesn't stack up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Very robust and logical in his denial. As if publishers would allow him sit on books that are absolute goldmines for them. Or for the same reasons, he would. Just doesn't stack up.

Yeah, it was always a completely bonkers rumour. I can't even remember the story from the books at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

As much as game of thrones has provided a riveting few weeks of discussion, has anyone else watched Deutschland 86? I reckon it’s better than the first series. It’s sort of far fetched but pretty engrossing. Lavinia Wilson only increases the appeal of the series I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

For **** sake Leeds.

Another year of pain.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    For **** sake Leeds.

Another year of pain.

Louis CK will be back, don't worry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Apparently the genre of this is "prepared piano". It sounds like someone who can't play piano randomly banging away.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0dfCsSXhtcdAyW7ODD4Aeu?si=ppjDH2VFQU-WnVnhYD_vIg

Reminds me of this

Awful.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

dregin wrote: »
    Apparently the genre of this is "prepared piano". It sounds like someone who can't play piano randomly banging away.

Reminds me of this

Awful.

Yea that's fairly ****e alright.

dregin wrote: »

Reminds me of this

Awful.

Did this song for the leaving. I'm getting ptsd listening to it

So the wife has recently returned from a visit to the Emerald Isle.

Team Swiwi is duly replete in tea, fudge and whiskey with an "e". Unfortunately, there was no space for Kelkin peanut butter. Oh well, we'll just have to make another trip back to Ireland. Life is hard.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So the wife has recently returned from a visit to the Emerald Isle.

Team Swiwi is duly replete in tea, fudge and whiskey with an "e". Unfortunately, there was no space for Kelkin peanut butter. Oh well, we'll just have to make another trip back to Ireland. Life is hard.

which tea?

Be ready to be judged if she's bought wrong.

Am drinking poisonous whisky (with no e) on the train to Edinburgh, so am in no place to judge, but judge I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads I've 2 tickets for the craft beer festival in Dun Laoghaire which is on tomorrow evening and Saturday. Due to the Catholic Church having no consideration for this and holding stupid communion nonsense I can't go.
    Free to a good home. PM...1st in gets them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I have a theory that Barry’s is almost universal. But we have a fair few north dubs here so they’re probably all about the Lyons life

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads I've 2 tickets for the craft beer festival in Dun Laoghaire which is on tomorrow evening and Saturday. Due to the Catholic Church having no consideration for this and holding stupid communion nonsense I can't go.
    Free to a good home. PM...1st in gets them!!

first thomond2006, now you.

Leinster rugby is really contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have a theory that Barry’s is almost universal. But we have a fair few north dubs here so they’re probably all about the Lyons life

Nah Tetleys here in deep North county Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tetleys?!

Stheno wrote: »

jaysis ****

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You disgust me.

I would like to advocate for the rest of North Dublin and say we have no association with the above.

Lyons 4 Life.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Still inside the pale then.....

which tea?

Be ready to be judged if she's bought wrong.

On the 4th day God created the animals. And on the 5th day he created Clipper Organic Everyday Tea. It’s not Irish, it’s English but it’s available in Ireland and it’s hands down the Worlds best tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At the Purple House event tonight with the Irish management, hosted by Paul Howard (Ross O'Carroll Kelly).

Howard, poking some fun, asks Andy Farrell when he first heard about Owen.

Simon Easterby cuts across: "Geography".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

At the Purple House event tonight with the Irish management, hosted by Paul Howard (Ross O'Carroll Kelly).

Howard, poking some fun, asks Andy Farrell when he first heard about Owen.

Simon Easterby cuts across: "Geography".

They're a real funny bunch! Joe has a career in standup ahead of him

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You disgust me.

I would like to advocate for the rest of North Dublin and say we have no association with the above.

Lyons 4 Life.

The oh is from Cork so he buys Barry's.

I usually buy Lyons but couldn't care less to be honest.

That said I drink more Earl Gray and herbal tea than black tea

• Advertisement

The oh is from Cork so he buys Barry's.

I usually buy Lyons but couldn't care less to be honest.

That said I drink more Earl Gray and herbal tea than black tea

Out-half huh? A true rugby fan ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement