Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Half expecting those posts about buses to have spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Half expecting those posts about buses to have spoilers.
    The buses in Dublin are a bit like
    World Cup wins for the All Blacks. You wait for ages for one and two come along, one after the other.

Happy? :pac:

All of you complaining about cars and busses and I'm sitting here in the bike lane by myself. Only way to travel around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't really get the appeal of driving to work. You can do other things while on public transport - get a start on work, watch netflix, post **** on boards. In a car you can listen to the radio and that is about it.

Aside from the obvious fact that public transport is a bag of ****e in Ireland, it's not cheap either for that bag of ****e. Driving is often cheaper in Ireland than public transport. To and from the city centre 5 days a week for me would be €25 with a Leap Card. It would cost me about €10 in diesel. The extra €15 over a year would cover the bulk of my tax and insurance. I don't work in the city centre but it has to be a factor for many people.

Another aspect is that there are plenty of areas where the car is just as quick as the bus when you factor in a walk after you alight. I could drive into the city centre at 7.15am and be across the city and parked at somewhere like Merrion Square 20-25 minutes. A bus to Abbey Street and walking would take me 45 minutes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buer wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious fact that public transport is a bag of ****e in Ireland, it's not cheap either for that bag of ****e. Driving is often cheaper in Ireland than public transport. To and from the city centre 5 days a week for me would be €25 with a Leap Card. It would cost me about €10 in diesel. The extra €15 over a year would cover the bulk of my tax and insurance. I don't work in the city centre but it has to be a factor for many people.

Another aspect is that there are plenty of areas where the car is just as quick as the bus when you factor in a walk after you alight. I could drive into the city centre at 7.15am and be across the city and parked at somewhere like Merrion Square 20-25 minutes. A bus to Abbey Street and walking would take me 45 minutes.

I'm lucky I take the swords express which is a five minute walk from both my house and office.

Taxsaver ticket works out at about 16 euro per week.

Petrol alone would cost me that

Get the bus at 725 and in the office by 810

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,617 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The public transport system in Ireland, especially the greater Dublin region, is amazingly half-arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In fairness, my bus pass is dirt cheap because of the tax saver, I think it works out around 18 quid a week, so around 3.50 a day. I'd have to rent a parking space + the cost of petrol if I was to drive.

Working in town is a fickle trade off, I hated working in an industrial estate where there was fúck all around it, and love being smack in the middle of town for if you need to run errands etc and even just lunch options if you don't bring one in some day.

But then you have to put up with public transport, and heap loads of junkies and human shít on every corner outside your office.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Where do they park though?

I can believe the car is sometimes just as quick - but you can't actually do anything with the time you spend driving. Just seems like a waste (and I say this as someone who reasonably likes driving).

On another note, where has this Liverpool team been the last 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're great to watch. Always exciting, attacking football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Please Barca... just please score 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Erik Shun wrote: »

*Puts Erik on hate list*

Erik Shun wrote: »

Hopefully Liverpool score...then park the bus...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That there association football, hi. Some craic.

That was pure dross from Barca.

This will be two years in a row that Barcelona have thrown away a 3 goal lead going into the 2nd leg of the knockout stages.

That is next level bottling.

• Administrators Posts: 53,617 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m half tempted to get properly smashed, I reckon it’s the only way I’m sleeping tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Didn't see that coming!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,340 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Took the pool to win 4-0 earlier today at 55/1

Hapoy fcuking days!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »

Hapoy fcuking days!!

Nice one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,784 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Over the two legs Barcelona were easily 2nd best. Even last week, although it ended 3-0 to Barca, there were long periods were Liverpool were on top. And tonight 4-0 didn't flatter them at all.

Klopp's interview after the game..."it's 10.10pm, most of the kids will be in bed...these boys are f****** giants"...brilliant!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sitting here in the bike lane by myself.

Puncture?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't really get the appeal of driving to work. You can do other things while on public transport - get a start on work, watch netflix, post **** on boards. In a car you can listen to the radio and that is about it.

Podcasts and audiobooks

Hapoy fcuking days!!

What are you going to do with €5.50 syd?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And what would you do with your car once you got it into the city centre?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,340 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What are you going to do with €5.50 syd?

Stick it on the bulls this weekend!!!

Youre a couple of spaces out on that dot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

And what would you do with your car once you got it into the city centre?

Torch it.

Nah, I was referencing people who are driving to work currently instead of taking the bus. I would imagine a large portion of those people have parking spaces available to them around the city centre.

Stick it on the bulls this weekend!!!

Youre a couple of spaces out on that dot ;)

What are you going to do with €0.055?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Torch it.

Nah, I was referencing people who are driving to work currently instead of taking the bus. I would imagine a large portion of those people have parking spaces available to them around the city centre.

I know. I work in the city centre, it's 100 quid a month for a parking spot at the office. The last company who I worked for in the city centre there was just no parking below a certain seniority. I would say plenty of people are paying for their parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That was pure dross from Barca.

They were simply outclassed.

They've been on the wane for a while now. Vidal and Rakitic (who I forgot was even playing) certainly ain't no Xavi or Iniesta. Coutinho was a passenger over the 2 legs. Their defence is a shambles when attacked relentlessly. They have it easy in Spain but that's the second year in a row now they've been thumped in the CL after carrying a big first leg lead. Their attitude was all wrong anyway, and nothing proved this more than the 4th goal. Suarez was much more focused on being the pantomime villain than actually winning the match.

3-0 in the 1st leg at the Nou Camp was perhaps the most flattering result you will have seen all season.
    Even United really took the game to Barca at OT, and only for they had no outlet up front, they would have nabbed a few that day themselves

That said lots fell into place for Liverpool, but I'm glad it did. They were charmed not to concede in the first half (but tightened up astoundingly well in the 2nd half), and scoring so early really set the tone.

I'm glad for the fans they have a real live chance at winning a big trophy after a monstrous season. While most fans would always prefer to win a league, it'd be hard to substitute those emotions and sheer euphoria after last night's game. Interestingly had Leicester somehow drew on Monday I wonder would Klopp have actually rested one or two last night? They could then very easily have been held by Wolves

While the final will be far from a gimme, they will be hot favourites and you'd have to think it is their year after last night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement