Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Where’s the final? Need to remember to be absolutely anywhere else on the planet than a foreign city where two English teams are playing in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Where’s the final? Need to remember to be absolutely anywhere else on the planet than a foreign city where two English teams are playing in the summer

Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

troyzer wrote: »
    Madrid.

Yup. What Troyzer said. Head to Madrid IBF. You'll be safe there. The final is in....eh.... Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Mate this is the rugby forum! That is full on analysis that deserves to head over to the soccer forum :p

Have shag all interest in Soccer overall for that craic, the big games only :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yep, can't see Uefa - or the Spanish police - being overly happy with two English teams in the final. I assume 2008 was the only previous time it happened, United and Chelsea?

Its also odds on it'll be the same scenario in the Europa League

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jr86 wrote: »
    Yep, can't see Uefa - or the Spanish police - being overly happy with two English teams in the final. I assume 2008 was the only previous time it happened, United and Chelsea?

Its also odds on it'll be the same scenario in the Europa League

Spurs and Liverpool fans aren't really known for their hooligan element though, it's not like it's Chelsea v West Ham...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Zzippy wrote: »
    Spurs and Liverpool fans aren't really known for their hooligan element though, it's not like it's Chelsea v West Ham...

You are very much mistaken. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yup. What Troyzer said. Head to Madrid IBF. You'll be safe there. The final is in....eh.... Dublin.

And wear a Chelsea shirt, you’ll be grand.

The HBO Chernobyl miniseries is very good. Terrifying but worth a look.

The HBO Chernobyl miniseries is very good. Terrifying but worth a look.

How realistic are the uniforms?

Soviet authenticity is all that matters to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Those asshole Soviets did untold damage to the cause of nuclear energy with their recklessness and stupidity around Chernobyl.

troyzer wrote: »
    How realistic are the uniforms?

Soviet authenticity is all that matters to me.

There was a lad in his underpants early on and I swear they looked more Penny's than Soviet but who knows.

Well other than you obvs...!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Zzippy wrote: »

Yeah, there's never been any trouble at a Liverpool game as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was a couple of incidents in the first leg reported about Liverpool fans in Barcelona assaulting locals but not on the levels of West Ham and other teams with 'Firms' etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

In recent years, I was referring to. Maybe I'm totally wrong, just my perception.

There was a couple of incidents in the first leg reported about Liverpool fans in Barcelona assaulting locals but not on the levels of West Ham and other teams with 'Firms' etc.

Liverpool had Firms as well

Spurs.. well obvious stuff really. I’ve lived through both sets of fans coming down to London

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Several times I've contemplated switching jobs just to be able to drive to work again.

My new job is 10 minutes walk from my apartment, that's a far better option :pac: will be the first time in my life I've been able to walk to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    My new job is 10 minutes walk from my apartment, that's a far better option :pac: will be the first time in my life I've been able to walk to work.

Same for me. The time you save in the morning and evening is invaluable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have a 10 minute tram ride to work. The convenience is just incomparable - hell I can even pop home for lunch if I need to. But the time saved is just priceless. I have considered moving to London etc but the thought of losing 2+ hours a day to commuting really gives me pause.

Yeah considering I was commuting for a minimum of two hours a day, 3 hours more often than not, just over 12 months ago. This will make life a lot easier.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »

My last place was a 15-20 minute drive from the house, current place is around 45-50 minutes bus journey plus walking.

Having the option to nip home to grab something on lunch, or even when doing releases out of hours being able to head home and knowing you'll get back well within time, versus having to stay in the office later because it's a big hassle to get home is something I never really accounted for.

Couldn't live in the city centre though. Certainly not northside anyways, Smithfield at a push maybe.

I had a job for two years that was a 45 second flat out run from my apartment. I know this, because despite the proximity I cut it very fine very often.

I live 8 miles from my job now, I cycle in and out every day. I spent 7 of the 8 miles this morning whizzing by lines and lines of cars. I'd say the cars I passed early on still hadn't gotten to the city centre by the time I had showered and was on my second coffee.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lucky enough to have had the same job for 20 years.
    lived nearby for the first 3 years... driving ever since.
    25 mins gets me there (20 miles away)

the town my job is in is the first town i hit after i leave.

One of the benefits of being unemployed from next week is that I don't have to worry about commuting anymore.

Or deciding what to spend money on.

My last place was a 15-20 minute drive from the house, current place is around 45-50 minutes bus journey plus walking.

Having the option to nip home to grab something on lunch, or even when doing releases out of hours being able to head home and knowing you'll get back well within time, versus having to stay in the office later because it's a big hassle to get home is something I never really accounted for.

Couldn't live in the city centre though. Certainly not northside anyways, Smithfield at a push maybe.

This is the first time I’ve ever lived in the city center. Not something I ever intended to do, as I’m not really a city person. Pro’s and Cons to it I guess, but I reckon this will definitely fall in the pro column. 2 mins walk from Stephens Green, doesn’t get much more central really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

I have never lived anymore than a 10 minute walk from my job :D
    #ruraltownrules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I had a 50 minute drive/30 minute cycle for years until recently when I started working from home. It's fantastic not having to commute anymore. Though I do miss the cycling

Synode wrote: »
    I had a 50 minute drive/30 minute cycle for years until recently when I started working from home. It's fantastic not having to commute anymore. Though I do miss the cycling

Working from home is great, not sure I could do it full time myself though. I usually WFH one day a week, did a stint of around a month last year over the snow period as I found myself going delirious during the day with the boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Takes a while to get disciplined but absolutely love it now. I'd struggle to go back into a 9 to 5 office job

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Takes a while to get disciplined but absolutely love it now. I'd struggle to go back into a 9 to 5 office job

Yeah exactly. But it’s like riding a bike, once you know how to do it, it works and it’s very rewarding.

Although I will say you need an employer who will push you, people have gone utterly insane working from home slipping through the gaps

I don’t do it at the moment because it doesn’t work in early startup culture but I can’t wait to get back to it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement