Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has anyone listened to Michael Lewis "against the rules podcast"?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Called it. Wouldn’t shock me if Limerick didn’t get out of Munster this year.

I was at the game. Limerick were soundly beaten in the second half. Munster will be close again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I was at the game. Limerick were soundly beaten in the second half. Munster will be close again.

It’ll be tight alright. Limerick obviously aren’t as bad as they looked in second half today but don’t think they’re as good as people were making out before today either.

They need to win two out of three now with Waterford and Clare away. Home to a Tipp side who look like they’re massively improved. They should beat Waterford but they are surely going to give a performance at some stage and if a twenty point beating doesn’t inspire a backlash nothing will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Called it. Wouldn’t shock me if Limerick didn’t get out of Munster this year.

Yeah I fancied Cork myself, they were always going to be incredibly hungry after a sub-par showing last week.

I don't get the over-hyping of Limerick at all. You would think it was KK of the 00s that lost today

I was happy for them winning an AI last year but looking back they couldn't make a provincial final, just about beat a rebuilding KK side being carried by a half fit 30 year old, were second best for most of the Cork semi (who somehow threw it away) and came up against the worst Galway championship performance since 2014- yet were a few yards away from being taken to a replay.

An All Ireland is an All Ireland but looking at the above I find it very strange so many have them on such a pedestal this year. I suppose it was the same with Clare in 2013 people just tend to get very carried away in sport. You're as good as your last game and all that

Granted they were very convincing in the league but its a whole different ball game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Erik Shun wrote: »
    A bit of a surprise with Vincent Kompany leaving Man city this morning

He wasn't the most subtle about moving on when interviewed after the Leicester game!

An outstanding servant to them and along with Silva and Agüero he has been the constant in this City rise the last 8 years

The goal v Leicester was the fairytale way to go out really

Sentiment aside though, he has clearly lost a yard of pace and has lived on the edge this year. Should have saw red for a horribly mistimed tackle on Salah in January. In truth they were never likely to fork out for a new 1 year contract for him to sit on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The latest developments with Huawei and the US is mental. Google revoking their android licence, and the US government banning them from trading in the US.

Millions of people soon to be stuck with flagship devices they purchased less than a year ago (and in some cases a few weeks) that will effectively be outdated as soon as the latest version of Android is released and developers stop supporting previous versions of applications.

Also going to delay the majority of 5G rollouts in countries considering the main core of hardware to be used was supplied by Huawei.

Sitting here waiting for OT GoT discussion to start because I've seen the episode, but no one in the office has, and discussing it in the vacuum of the dedicated board is ****!

The latest developments with Huawei and the US is mental. Google revoking their android licence, and the US government banning them from trading in the US.

Millions of people soon to be stuck with flagship devices they purchased less than a year ago (and in some cases a few weeks) that will effectively be outdated as soon as the latest version of Android is released and developers stop supporting previous versions of applications.

Also going to delay the majority of 5G rollouts in countries considering the main core of hardware to be used was supplied by Huawei.

Hard to know what's propaganda, genuine espionage or just plain old commercial concern masquerading as foreign policy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sitting here waiting for OT GoT discussion to start because I've seen the episode, but no one in the office has, and discussing it in the vacuum of the dedicated board is ****!

*hits "unfollow thread until 2moro*

Episode 6
    My issue with the final episode is not the final episode, but the pace of what preceded it. Maybe I'm just jaded at this stage with GoT, but I just lost a bit of excitement for the next episode. The final episode in a vacuum was fine and I'm glad the series is done.

Dany met the end you'd expect, there's no way her tyranny goes without punishment. During the election of Bran, Grey Worm going from I'm beheading this effer to Yeah whatever was odd. Arya's Columbus ending was strange, perhaps it was foreshadowed and I missed it?

Bronn was the real winner. A sellsword to Lord of the Reach, all thanks to a bluff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hard to know what's propaganda, genuine espionage or just plain old commercial concern masquerading as foreign policy.

Yeah it's hard to tell, and the way the US are going about it is crazy as well in terms of trying to push other nations to impose the same sanctions on their behalf.

Episode 6 Spoilers.
    Yeah like it was a case of being a slightly unoffensive ending. If a little bit silly. Everyone on that weird council accepts Jon Snow is the hero who has saved Westeros and he still goes to the Wall. That is rushed AF. He probably should have been put on trial and volunteered to go to the wall

Bronn is the most disappointing character in season 6. And honestly him as Master of Coin was a stupid joke that I found annoying. I definitely think GRRM has him dead and so they felt uncomfortable doing anything with him this series.

What was Edmure Tully even about to propose. Where the **** has he been for a million years. I am glad Sam didn't invent democracy. That was stupid. I presume Ayra is open for a spinoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well as someone who has defended the latest series up to now I can honestly say that a lot of it was full on cringe.

Also I was particularly displeased that after Jon kills Danearys and we have an ad break and come back to find it's weeks in the future and a bunch of rather important stuff has happened in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ok someone’s got to help me before I crack. Phone changed over to this ridiculous touch site and can’t get it back to the legacy site. It’s doing my head in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ok someone’s got to help me before I crack. Phone changed over to this ridiculous touch site and can’t get it back to the legacy site. It’s doing my head in

This happened to me as well. It's back now for some strange reason.

Just log out and keep clearing your cookies and cache. Eventually it'll probably come back.

Fiddling with desktop mode seems to trip it up.

Make sure you're on the desktop version of the site. Go to the front boards.ie page and click Touch Site at the bottom.

Or it's Legacy Site, I can't remember.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sigh...well that was disappointing

Thought Brienne writing in the Kingsguard book was about the only satisfactory "ending" we got. What the **** are the Night's Watch even watching? Why the ****e would half the people at the stupid kingsmoot thing even know anything about Bran? And then a Stark sits on the throne while the North is the only kingdom allowed secede? gah, just frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Make sure you're on the desktop version of the site. Go to the front boards.ie page and click Touch Site at the bottom.

I’m clicking on the legacy site link down the bottom of the page. That used to fix it but now it doesn’t do anything. This touch site is awful, don’t know how people use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I’m clicking on the legacy site link down the bottom of the page. That used to fix it but now it doesn’t do anything. This touch site is awful, don’t know how people use it.

You have to clear caches and cookies.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    sigh...well that was disappointing

Thought Brienne writing in the Kingsguard book was about the only satisfactory "ending" we got. What the **** are the Night's Watch even watching? Why the ****e would half the people at the stupid kingsmoot thing even know anything about Bran? And then a Stark sits on the throne while the North is the only kingdom allowed secede? gah, just frustrating
    I think the first 20/30 mins of the episode were good, but after Jon killed Danearys it went wrong. Again it all happened too fast. Too much happened off screen, but that has been a recurring theme of series 8. They truly f**** up by going for just six episodes.

I liked Sansa's ending though.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I think the first 20/30 mins of the episode were good, but after Jon killed Danearys it went wrong. Again it all happened too fast. Too much happened off screen, but that has been a recurring theme of series 8. They truly f**** up by going for just six episodes.

I liked Sansa's ending though.
    Yup, forgot about Sansa's ending there. Would agree with that I thought it was good. Of course it doesn't make a LOT of sense combined with Bran ruling the 6 Kingdoms and it really could have done with being fleshed out a bit more (but what couldn't this season). And yes, the first 20-30 mins were actually handled pretty well, better than I expected.

Yup, forgot about Sansa's ending there. Would agree with that I thought it was good. Of course it doesn't make a LOT of sense combined with Bran ruling the 6 Kingdoms and it really could have done with being fleshed out a bit more (but what couldn't this season). And yes, the first 20-30 mins were actually handled pretty well, better than I expected.
    Yeah, I would have thought the fact that the North was declaring it's independence would surely render Bran ineligible from becoming King.

On the one hand Jon's ending was bittersweet which was in keeping with his life so fair enough, but it was still pretty unfulfilling. I was hoping against hope that at the end when Jon and the Wildlings went north of the wall that they were going to come across Whitewalkers!

This scene came to mind watching the final episode.

I just don't get it. Maybe this is a new genre of unfulfilling fiction where the story just tapers off meaninglessly and that's meant to be the interesting aspect about it?

Did they aim specifically for mediocre so that the final season would definitely stand out..?

I've no issue with how it ended, but how they got there made no sense in the context of everything that came before. The pressure got to the creators and they really sh!t the bed. Hugely disappointed.

I just don't get it. Maybe this is a new genre of unfulfilling fiction where the story just tapers off meaninglessly and that's meant to be the interesting aspect about it?

Did they aim specifically for mediocre so that the final season would definitely stand out..?

I've no issue with how it ended, but how they got there made no sense in the context of everything that came before. The pressure got to the creators and they really sh!t the bed. Hugely disappointed.

There seems to be an incredibly irritating trend in modern media that the worst possible thing you can do is be predictable and to hell with whatever narratives you have built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

GoT was a hugely ambitious show with a massive ensemble cast, incredible production values and also told an entertaining story, at least for a few seasons. It was pure spectacle television and I loved every minute of it.

It's pretty clear that things started coming off the rails when the showrunners ran out of source material. From what I've read GRRM told them his ending, but they had to get there themselves. Unfortunately they botched it.

Their biggest problem was Daenerys.
    I've seen a few Reddit threads saying the signposted her descent into madness. It was foreshadowed yes, but her turn happened far, far too quickly. It was in the space of an episode and a half. This is something that needed an entire season to develop. Jon is credited for the victory over the Night King because he brought the different factions together. That's fine. But then you need 5 or 6 more episodes of development to the point where Daenerys snaps through jealousy and lust for war. Everything was so abrupt. I don't have a problem with the endings. It's how it got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Also I'm not sure if it's pressure that got to the show writers. I think they wanted off the show and did it in the quickest way they could. The final two seasons were like 13 episodes where in previous seasons it would have been 20.

Clegg wrote: »
    Also I'm not sure if it's pressure that got to the show writers. I think they wanted off the show and did it in the quickest way they could. The final two seasons were like 13 episodes where in previous seasons it would have been 20.

But the final two seasons was only one "book" given the books are unwritten. So almost 50 percent longer than other books

But the final two seasons was only one "book" given the books are unwritten. So almost 50 percent longer than other books

I think this is part of the reason that the books are taking so long to come out. He has written himself into a massive corner and is struggling to get anywhere with the next one so that he can finish it in the last book. Dance With Dragons was very long and very tedious. Even knowing the endgame in mind, neither the show writers nor GRRM actually knew how to get there and that's why it was a bit poorly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think this is part of the reason that the books are taking so long to come out. He has written himself into a massive corner and is struggling to get anywhere with the next one so that he can finish it in the last book. Dance With Dragons was very long and very tedious. Even knowing the endgame in mind, neither the show writers nor GRRM actually knew how to get there and that's why it was a bit poorly done.

Yep. For all the abuse the show writers are getting, ADwD was full of completely unsatisfying storylines as well, ones that lead nowhere, stuff that nobody could possibly care about, etc.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    GoT was a hugely ambitious show with a massive ensemble cast, incredible production values and also told an entertaining story, at least for a few seasons. It was pure spectacle television and I loved every minute of it.

It's pretty clear that things started coming off the rails when the showrunners ran out of source material. From what I've read GRRM told them his ending, but they had to get there themselves. Unfortunately they botched it.

Their biggest problem was Daenerys.
    I've seen a few Reddit threads saying the signposted her descent into madness. It was foreshadowed yes, but her turn happened far, far too quickly. It was in the space of an episode and a half. This is something that needed an entire season to develop. Jon is credited for the victory over the Night King because he brought the different factions together. That's fine. But then you need 5 or 6 more episodes of development to the point where Daenerys snaps through jealousy and lust for war. Everything was so abrupt. I don't have a problem with the endings. It's how it got there.

This

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement