Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Preview Nights 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Kennedy is close to unbearable. How the fcuk he hasnt been asked to tone it down by his colleagues is beyond me. Shouldn't be allowed mention his bets, I'd worry impressionable young fellas might listen.

Spot on. He should do time for his fake laughing.

I'm a regular listener to the podcast but I find the gutter humour and arse licking unbearable. Kennedy needs to accept that he's got the sense of humour of a 15 year old and serve all jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

Incredible writer? You jokin? He's not even a journalist at the end of the day.
    He goes after some interesting topics but 17 paragraphs of stats doesn't do it for me.

Check out his 23 paragraph epic on storm Emma.

Little point debating his merits as a writer if you don't think he's a journalist. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I enjoy the preview nights. If you cannot filter out what you don’t want to hear then you really shouldn’t tune in to any. For the most part they are just a bit of fun, Kennedy needs to tone down the canned laughter alright but sure look each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Flicked through most of the Final Furlong one.

Blake & Kennedy are like a pair of teenage girls with the giggling and stupid jokes. Last year's one was even worse if I recall.

Worth flicking through for what Geraghty & Keenan had to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I still listen to them but the in jokes and 'in tips' starting with Black Hercules a few years back was the start of a decline for me.

Blake, Delargy and Keenan are very good imo in terms of their race analysis and general betting logic but Kennedy seems to be a cheerleader for all the gimmicky stuff that irritates a listener. He's way too keen to please in comparison with the lads named.

"Ah sure Kevin didn't you tip Tiger Roll to win 4 miler at Cheltenham last year"

"No, I just mentioned him"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Kennedy is like Claire Balding. I don't know a single person who thinks he's anything but terrible yet he's getting gigs all over the shop. Adds zero to the Final Furlong or the Matchbook pods (which aside from that clown are well worth listening to - matchbook that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Is this Jack Kennedy the jockey?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is this Jack Kennedy the jockey?

Emmet Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Roundtd181

As others stated worth listening to Geragthy and Keenans views.  Keenan knows his stuff and as others mentioned Delargey is great when he is on. 
    I'm hoping that no imbecile takes kennedy and blakes advice and turns up to cheltenham in an armadillo outfit!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Emmet Kennedy is painful
    His "Armadillo" thing is pathetic and I tell you if someone in England used a similar stereotype for someone like Peter Casey or AOB/JOB there would be lads all over the gaff calling them all sorts.
    His "humour" is bloody cringe.
    I like Blake on ATR, maybe its cos he is less, lubricated?
    At times Boycey and BG looked like they had'nt a clue what was going on
    Kennedy is a poor mans Matt Chapman

As for the tips........
    They mad keen into Cue Card
    Love the horse but cant see it happening personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I was at the Final Furlong one last night, and although i like the podcast ( i do a lot of driving and its a godsend), it was only ok really as id heard it all before.

There are 3 things worthwhile taking out of it (which is probably more than most of these)

1. Maldini . Blake is more confident about this horse than any other for a long time, and to be fare to him he is a as good a judge as there is around. He's not my kind of price but ill stick him in a multiple or 2
    2. Tiger Road. Blake said Gordon couldn't be more enthusiastic about his chances . f**king flying he said.
    3. Blake like Minds's Eye in the Supreme at a huge price and ill have to have a saver.

aidankkk wrote: »
    I was at the Final Furlong one last night, and although i like the podcast ( i do a lot of driving and its a godsend), it was only ok really as id heard it all before.

There are 3 things worthwhile taking out of it (which is probably more than most of these)

1. Maldini . Blake is more confident about this horse than any other for a long time, and to be fare to him he is a as good a judge as there is around. He's not my kind of price but ill stick him in a multiple or 2
    2. Tiger Road. Blake said Gordon couldn't be more enthusiastic about his chances . f**king flying he said.
    3. Blake like Minds's Eye in the Supreme at a huge price and ill have to have a saver.

I like Mall Dini but depends what it runs in
    Tiger Roll, its gas, Gordon was on one himself last night with Davy and a few others and said COC was in flying form and its hard to see it beat!

These previews would melt your head lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Mr321

Last year Gordan gave a different horse at each preview he done for his best chance of the week.
    Still look at the week he had haha

But just go with your gut feeling its Cheltenham, their all there to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Mr321 wrote: »
    Last year Gordan gave a different horse at each preview he done for his best chance of the week.
    Still look at the week he had haha

But just go with your gut feeling its Cheltenham, their all there to win.

Until a favourite gets beat and Ruby's a crook etc. :D I don't know if i'm really looking forward to or dreading that :pac:

Until a favourite gets beat and Ruby's a crook etc. :D I don't know if i'm really looking forward to or dreading that :pac:

I know a lad, a normally very sane, stable young man. Loves his racing, had his head scrwed on.
    Come Cheltenham, when he see's Ruby tip a horse he will NEVER back it as he in convinced he is on the take for PP and its all a con job :rolleyes:

Ruby tipped up footpad yesterday as his best chance of the week, and my man straight away is ADAMANT now that Footpad wont win, that Ruby will make sure of it once all the money goes on etc etc.....

CONVINCED!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Mr321

https://twitter.com/FinalFurlongPod/status/971738226850398213

Pretty much sums up all of the above comments.
    Just look at Barry and Tony.

Tell me there was no charge into that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Mr321 wrote: »

Tell me there was no charge into that

No charge.

I'd listen to it regularly and it can be a bit cringey but that last night took the biscuit. My toes curled every time Emmett spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Preview nights are useful for building a bit of atmosphere for the festival and nothing else.

Casey says Vroom Vroom Mag is flying, a day later she's retired.

Ruby positive on Hollowgraphic, a day later he's out as he isn't working well.

None of them would lie straight in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Preview nights are useful for building a bit of atmosphere for the festival and nothing else.

Casey says Vroom Vroom Mag is flying, a day later she's retired.

Ruby positive on Hollowgraphic, a day later he's out as he isn't working well.

None of them would lie straight in bed.

All associated with the Mullins yard.. What a coincidence.

Douvan been working well too, just waiting for him to be pulled any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Slattsy wrote: »

Id be absolutely shocked if Min and Douvan lined up in the champion chase. It would be great to see but there are no real positives for them to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Slattsy wrote: »

Aye there'll be a few more pulled. Douvan, Faugheen, Yorkhill... I can see two of those three not running. Mullins saying today aswell that UDS runs in the Ryanair but he's been left in the Champion Chase. So Douvan gets pulled, UDS goes Champion Chase with Min and Yorkhill goes Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Panel: Ruby Walsh, And y Gibson (pro gambler), Dave Jennings (RP) Warren Greatrex, Paddy Power, Jack 'monotone' Kennedy and Racheal 'Im just here for the cash' Blackmore.

Highlights:
    Ruby: Buveur looks too hard to beat on all form...Samcro nailed on...David Casey been talking up Brahma Bull for the Ballymore...Footpad one of his rides of the week...Cant decide a Champ Chase ride yet...Redicean will fold if in a fight in the Triumph..Doesn't fancy Presenting Percy.. Might Bite was very impressive in last years RSA.

Warren G: Buveur looks a good thing...Really likes his La Bague au Roi in Mares Hurdle...North Hill Harvey can squeak a place in the Arkle...disagrees with Ruby and likes Redicean...his mate Nicky Henderson bullish about On The Blind Side (cant remember race)..also likes Might Byte

Dave Jennings: was giddy talking about Brain Power in the Arkle...loves Presenting Percy but Ballyoptic good each way shot...Jury Duty for the 4miler...Louis Vac Poutch for the Fred Winter..Balko des Flos can beat UDS...Our Duke best shot at open Gold Cup.

Andy Gibson waffled on about accumulators and odds etc. His notable contribution was a sound reason for Politologue in the w/o Altior market. Kennedy and Blackmore offered nothing of note.

€250 Charity Bets:
    Ruby - Faugheen (win)
    Rachael - Footpad (win)
    Denis Kirwan (MC) - Un De Sceaux
    Dave Jennings - Lami Serge (e/w)

*I cant remember the others, sorry. Maybe someone else can fill in Warren G and Andy Gibsons nap?

Panel: Ruby Walsh, And y Gibson (pro gambler), Dave Jennings (RP) Warren Greatrex, Paddy Power, Jack 'monotone' Kennedy and Racheal 'Im just here for the cash' Blackmore.

Highlights:
    Ruby: Buveur looks too hard to beat on all form...Samcro nailed on...David Casey been talking up Brahma Bull for the Ballymore...Footpad one of his rides of the week...Cant decide a Champ Chase ride yet...Redicean will fold if in a fight in the Triumph..Doesn't fancy Presenting Percy.. Might Bite was very impressive in last years RSA.

Warren G: Buveur looks a good thing...Really likes his La Bague au Roi in Mares Hurdle...North Hill Harvey can squeak a place in the Arkle...disagrees with Ruby and likes Redicean...his mate Nicky Henderson bullish about On The Blind Side (cant remember race)..also likes Might Byte

Dave Jennings: was giddy talking about Brain Power in the Arkle...loves Presenting Percy but Ballyoptic good each way shot...Jury Duty for the 4miler...Louis Vac Poutch for the Fred Winter..Balko des Flos can beat UDS...Our Duke best shot at open Gold Cup.

Andy Gibson waffled on about accumulators and odds etc. His notable contribution was a sound reason for Politologue in the w/o Altior market. Kennedy and Blackmore offered nothing of note.

€250 Charity Bets:
    Ruby - Faugheen (win)
    Rachael - Footpad (win)
    Denis Kirwan (MC) - Un De Sceaux
    Dave Jennings - Lami Serge (e/w)

*I cant remember the others, sorry. Maybe someone else can fill in Warren G and Andy Gibsons nap?

Jack have a charity bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Jack have a charity bet?
    He nearly put us to sleep, but I think it was Berlade in the Close Brothers on Tuesday.

He nearly put us to sleep, but I think it was Berlade in the Close Brothers on Tuesday.

In fairness to him he's a quiet 18 year old kid. Probably felt obliged to do it as a favour for a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I know a lad, a normally very sane, stable young man. Loves his racing, had his head scrwed on.
    Come Cheltenham, when he see's Ruby tip a horse he will NEVER back it as he in convinced he is on the take for PP and its all a con job :rolleyes:

Ruby tipped up footpad yesterday as his best chance of the week, and my man straight away is ADAMANT now that Footpad wont win, that Ruby will make sure of it once all the money goes on etc etc.....

CONVINCED!

"Sure, did you not see Ruby on Annie Power a few years back. Paddy Power facing a payout of millions if Ruby wins but he "accidentally" falls at the last. Absolutely rancid stuff!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

While I wouldn't question Ruby's integrity I'd question his prep for the festival. I already have two of his likely mounts on opening day backed but other than that, I'd be approaching all his rides cautiously. I don't think this will be a festival for the "Ruby and Willie wheelbarrow job. "
    With Townend not quite fit you'd wonder just how much Ruby was under pressure to declare himself ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

While I wouldn't question Ruby's integrity I'd question his prep for the festival. I already have two of his likely mounts on opening day backed but other than that, I'd be approaching all his rides cautiously. I don't think this will be a festival for the "Ruby and Willie wheelbarrow job. "
    With Townend not quite fit you'd wonder just how much Ruby was under pressure to declare himself ready.

Under no more pressure than if Townend was fighting fit. Was always going to be back for it. It's his biggest payday and we all know he is money mad.
    While the comment above about deliberately falling is rubbish, I would question his integrity with being involved with that shower of scum Paddy Power. The optics are beyond crazy and it looks awful for the sport but then you wouldn't expect much more from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Kauto wrote: »
    Under no more pressure than if Townend was fighting fit. Was always going to be back for it. It's his biggest payday and we all know he is money mad.
    While the comment above about deliberately falling is rubbish, I would question his integrity with being involved with that shower of scum Paddy Power. The optics are beyond crazy and it looks awful for the sport but then you wouldn't expect much more from him.

I'd be certain the comment above about Ruby falling was sarcasm.

Advertisement