Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Preview Nights 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Yeah I just find it difficult to see Footpad being beat. 4th in a Champion Hurdle is a very decent level as a hurdler and he's on a another level as a chaser. Whereas, Petit Mouchoir is probably of a similar level hurdling or chasing. Saint Calvados is an unknown but I'd want 8/1 or bigger to be backing an unknown tbh and he's 5s and could well go off second fav.

People touting St Calvados is a gift to the Footpad/PM backers

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Getabird is another everyone seems to be against. I can see him being a much bigger price on the day while something like Mengli Khan, Paloma Blue, Claimantakinforgan - one of those will go off single figures. I'm against Getabird myself but if he went out to a decent price I'd have to reconsider. I'd be against Kalashnikov and Summerville Boy, so if say Getabird drifts and Mengli Khan shortens a lot, I'd have to back Getabird whereas at the current prices I'd be on Mengli Khan. Almost certain Paloma Blue is going to be my main Supreme bet though and I'll probably back one more.

From my point of view, I think Mengli Khan is the underrated horse here. For the Moscow flyer, they turned him around in 17 days after the leopardstown run, and he was giving weight to getabird. If he was below par that day then that second isn't too bad.

As for the leopardstown run, he was fav that day and could have easily gone on to win well that day but for going through the wing of a hurdle. Had he then his form would be comparable to Samcro. If fact I would rate it as better because it was a strongly run race.

Lots of ifs and buts here, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

handsfree2 wrote: »
    From my point of view, I think Mengli Khan is the underrated horse here. For the Moscow flyer, they turned him around in 17 days after the leopardstown run, and he was giving weight to getabird. If he was below par that day then that second isn't too bad.

As for the leopardstown run, he was fav that day and could have easily gone on to win well that day but for going through the wing of a hurdle. Had he then his form would be comparable to Samcro. If fact I would rate it as better because it was a strongly run race.

Lots of ifs and buts here, I know.

That definitely wasn't Mengli Khan's true running behind Getabird. I could see MK going off around 8/1 or shorter for the Supreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Mengli khan won’t place at Cheltenham and would more likely run out again than win.
    He was a funny horse on the flat, looked quite classy at times but disappointed on the big days.
    It’s a similar story over jumps, I just don’t think he’s a hardy enough horse for a top quality race and would sooner weaken out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mengli Khan is a monkey, albeit it a talented one. I just Couldnt bring myself to back him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Mengli Khan is a monkey, albeit it a talented one. I just Couldnt bring myself to back him

Sounds like something someone would have said about last years winner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Always amuses me how people go doolally in the weeks coming upto the festival ☺ After leopardstown Getabird was a lump horse ! Go back and look at comments on this site even! Now the closer we get to the day without any contrary evidence since all of a sudden he is a lay horse ☺ Based on nothing.
    Similarly footpad, the first name on all AP accas up to 2 weeks ago all of a sudden is vulnerable to a horse half of us hadn't heard of pre Christmas, and Sceau feckin Royal !!!

Relax! Getabird will win. Footpad WILL win. Apples will win and we can all go into Wednesday with a bucket of cash.

yyyeeoooww!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Always amuses me how people go doolally in the weeks coming upto the festival ☺ After leopardstown Getabird was a lump horse ! Go back and look at comments on this site even! Now the closer we get to the day without any contrary evidence since all of a sudden he is a lay horse ☺ Based on nothing.
    Similarly footpad, the first name on all AP accas up to 2 weeks ago all of a sudden is vulnerable to a horse half of us hadn't heard of pre Christmas, and Sceau feckin Royal !!!

Relax! Getabird will win. Footpad WILL win. Apples will win and we can all go into Wednesday with a bucket of cash.

yyyeeoooww!

I think horses like Footpad and Getabird where always going to drift as we got closer and we all knew they'd start bigger prices unless there was defections.

There might actually be a bit of value about them come next Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

danganabu wrote: »
    Sounds like something someone would have said about last years winner!!

I have Mengli covered in a couple of bets already and am happy enough to let it run. I'll back Getabird on the day but probably just in a treble or trixie with Footpad and AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

yyyeeoooww!

Paddy Power get you any free tickets for Cheltenham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Paddy Power get you any free tickets for Cheltenham?

I lol'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Any sign of the Daniel Watkins guide for 2018? Always a decent read

DuffleBag wrote: »

It's generally the Monday the week before, as in today, so should be released today.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

danganabu wrote: »
    It's generally the Monday the week before, as in today, so should be released today.

You’re right. He’s at that preview night in Dublin as well tonight so might release it after that.

You’re right. He’s at that preview night in Dublin as well tonight so might release it after that.

PM Sting he will pick up a copy for you tonight, loves a good preview that lad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Apparently Derek O'Connor rides No Comment in the NH Chase hence the price contraction in recent days

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Lapoftheodds.com is his website keep an eye out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

elderberry wrote: »
    Apparently Derek O'Connor rides No Comment in the NH Chase hence the price contraction in recent days

Was obvious being the only JP entry. It surely will not win after one chase run? He shaped ok over a short trip though it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Watching the BetBright Preview night on youtube here..

If the crowd would shut up for 30 seconds it might of went better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

The setup of that preview night has always been horrendous, more so then other nights.

• Advertisement

Watching the BetBright Preview night on youtube here..

If the crowd would shut up for 30 seconds it might of went better

Think unibet have a live one on YouTube this evening.

There's one on the Racing Post YouTube and Facebook at 7:30 with Patrick Mullins and Gavin something (second name escapes me but he's worth listening to) and a few more.

There's one on the Racing Post YouTube and Facebook at 7:30 with Patrick Mullins and Gavin something (second name escapes me but he's worth listening to) and a few more.

Gavin Lynch.

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Think unibet have a live one on YouTube this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSuTf46rnU

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

madmoose wrote: »
    Was obvious being the only JP entry. It surely will not win after one chase run? He shaped ok over a short trip though it must be said.

No that would put me off too. Best hurdles form was over 3m and it's the horse's only entry so they must think he'll stay the 4m

TheTorment wrote: »

That was a terrible watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭culline

At his preview night now, he’s very good, a lot of sense...and stats. His preview is out Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Gavin Lynch.
    Just watched it. Patrick napped Footpad. Delighted with that !!

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    That was a terrible watch.

Dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Henderson looked like he had a good night

Advertisement