Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S9/9+

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Having an odd issue with my S9+. Quite often when I plug in the USB-C to charge it doesn't detect it and no charging happens. Put it on a wireless pad and it charges. Then if I plug in the USB-C cable it's detected and switches to wired charging.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Anyone have a rough guess at the cost for a screen replacement for an S9+? Phone is still working so it seems to be just the glass.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough guess at the cost for a screen replacement for an S9+? Phone is still working so it seems to be just the glass.

€339

https://pairmobile.ie/collections/samsung-repair/products/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-repair?variant=12663854923870

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Only €255 with Carphonewarehouse Team Knowhow Dublin

Thanks chaps. Dublin a little too far away and Pair are way overpriced. I'll try a few of the shops in Limerick today and see how much. Anything over €250 would be too much tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SachaJ wrote: »
    Having an odd issue with my S9+. Quite often when I plug in the USB-C to charge it doesn't detect it and no charging happens. Put it on a wireless pad and it charges. Then if I plug in the USB-C cable it's detected and switches to wired charging.

Any ideas?

I assume you have tried another cable? Could be a faulty port

June update including camera night mode out for unlocked (XEU) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

I'm just wondering if anyone here is using a 400GB or a 512GB micro sd card in their S9 or S9+?
    And, if so, have you had any compatibility issues or problems at all? Or is it all good?

I bought a dual sim European S9+ (SM-G965F/DS) from Amazon Germany and have been using an old 128GB card, but it's full (all that 4K vid really eats up the space) - and I was wondering just how well do the larger cards work?

It seems there's a lot of uncertainty online as to just what the actual upper end card capacity for these phones is, it says "up to 512Gb" (which is very ambiguous language, "up to" usually means 'only in certain cases' in commercial corporate speak) on the Samsung website - and I had a support staff person there reiterate that to me during a webchat; but I got the impression that she was just parroting the company line tbh.

And I've also seen it specified as 400GB elsewhere - and, indeed, 256GB in certain cases as well; depending on the model and market.
    Plus the compatibility widget on 'my memory' indicated that the S9+ wasn't compatible with the 400Gb card; so there's certainly plenty of varying information - hence the appeal here for first-hand specifics!

As usual, all and any feedback and info will be greatly appreciated indeed - thanks in advance!

I'm just wondering if anyone here is using a 400GB or a 512GB micro sd card in their S9 or S9+?
    And, if so, have you had any compatibility issues or problems at all? Or is it all good?

I bought a dual sim European S9+ (SM-G965F/DS) from Amazon Germany and have been using an old 128GB card, but it's full (all that 4K vid really eats up the space) - and I was wondering just how well do the larger cards work?

It seems there's a lot of uncertainty online as to just what the actual upper end card capacity for these phones is, it says "up to 512Gb" (which is very ambiguous language, "up to" usually means 'only in certain cases' in commercial corporate speak) on the Samsung website - and I had a support staff person there reiterate that to me during a webchat; but I got the impression that she was just parroting the company line tbh.

And I've also seen it specified as 400GB elsewhere - and, indeed, 256GB in certain cases as well; depending on the model and market.
    Plus the compatibility widget on 'my memory' indicated that the S9+ wasn't compatible with the 400Gb card; so there's certainly plenty of varying information - hence the appeal here for first-hand specifics!

As usual, all and any feedback and info will be greatly appreciated indeed - thanks in advance!

Bump - Bueller, Bueller; anyone, Bueller?

Come on people, over 150 views since I initially posted and not one response - is there not anyone here using or who has tried to use, one of these larger cards in their S9 or S9+?

I'd just like some first-hand information and/or feedback before I spend the money, as I really can't afford to buy a card that won't work in my phone right now.

So whatever anyone can tell me; as I said, I'd really appreciate it - thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh I doubt many have a 512GB SD card in their phone to give you feedback. What would you need so much storage for anyway. And if you want a lot of storage buy a larger capacity phone version. I have a 128GB phone and have tonnes of space. I have been using 64GB phones for a few years and never used up more than half of available storage.

Also a phone with a larger storage space would work far better than any SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Come on people, over 150 views since I initially posted and not one response - is there not anyone here using or who has tried to use, one of these larger cards in their S9 or S9+?

I'd just like some first-hand information and/or feedback before I spend the money, as I really can't afford to buy a card that won't work in my phone right now.

So whatever anyone can tell me; as I said, I'd really appreciate it - thanks again!

Check it out on Amazon and do a search on the SD Card product page for "S9" and see if anyone has left their experience of using the card .
    That's what I'd do anyhow.
    And the you can always return it if it doesn't work.
    Simples :-)

Tbh I doubt many have a 512GB SD card in their phone to give you feedback. What would you need so much storage for anyway. And if you want a lot of storage buy a larger capacity phone version. I have a 128GB phone and have tonnes of space. I have been using 64GB phones for a few years and never used up more than half of available storage.

Also a phone with a larger storage space would work far better than any SD card.

Wow, what a thoroughly unhelpful comment - do you feel better now?

Firstly, I fail to see what business it is of yours what I need the space for; if it's available and compatible, then I'd like to have it and will use it.
    I'm not asking for your endorsement, just the benefit of your experience - should you have it.

Just because you're unable to see the benefit of it, or how it would be of use compared to your device usage - don't presume to think that we all see it like that or use our phones in the same way. Everyone uses their device differently, something you would clearly do well to remember.

And advising me to just 'buy a larger capacity phone'; shortly after I bought the new one I currently have, as mentioned in my OP - jesus, what a truly redundant suggestion that is; thanks for nothing!

biebiebie wrote: »
    Check it out on Amazon and do a search on the SD Card product page for "S9" and see if anyone has left their experience of using the card .
    That's what I'd do anyhow.
    And the you can always return it if it doesn't work.
    Simples :-)

Ya, I tried that, on both Amazon UK and Germany - and unfortunately there's hardly any S9-related reviews and none that I can find for the larger sized cards at all.

Indeed there's almost a complete absence of anything related to the larger cards and their use in the S9 or S9+ anywhere, as far as I can ascertain; which is in large part the reason that I'm so uncertain as to whether they are actually compatible - and also why I'm asking here.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion biebiebie, it is appreciated!

Jesus christ.....

Firstly, I fail to see what business it is of yours what I need the space for; if it's available and compatible, then I'd like to have it and will use it.
    I'm not asking for your endorsement, just the benefit of your experience - should you have it.

Just because you're unable to see the benefit of it, or how it would be of use compared to your device usage - don't presume to think that we all see it like that or use our phones in the same way. Everyone uses their device differently, something you would clearly do well to remember.

And advising me to just 'buy a larger capacity phone'; shortly after I bought the new one I currently have, as mentioned in my OP - jesus, what a truly redundant suggestion that is; thanks for nothing!

Unhelpful. Read my post and then read yours and see who is helpful and isn't. You were looking for advice on SD cards. I explained to you nobody will be able to answer that as very few people will need that much space.

I put it across to you in a post that is in no way cheeky and you post a message that just reads of nothing but cheek. Blows the mind.

Unhelpful. Read my post and then read yours and see who is helpful and isn't. You were looking for advice on SD cards. I explained to you nobody will be able to answer that as very few people will need that much space.

I put it across to you in a post that is in no way cheeky and you post a message that just reads of nothing but cheek. Blows the mind.

I did read it and it was nothing but dismissiveness and judgemental nonsense, give over!

The only thing relevant and/or of value in it was the suggestion that others may not have those cards in their phones; but even that's only supposition on your part anyway - you have no way of knowing whether or not it's even true.

As for the rest of it, it was just petty: why do you even need the space, I don't need that space, you shouldn't need that space, buy a different type of phone, irrelevance.
    There's exactly zero 'advice' related to the actual question I'd asked, about sd cards; just you effectively attempting to tell me why I'm doing it wrong, as it were.
    Like I said, utterly unhelpful.

You'd do well to go back and read your own message again if you can't understand that - as I already said, thanks for nothing!

Bump - Bueller, Bueller; anyone, Bueller?

I did read it and it was nothing but dismissiveness and judgemental nonsense, give over!

The only thing relevant and/or of value in it was the suggestion that others may not have those cards in their phones; but even that's only supposition on your part anyway - you have no way of knowing whether or not it's even true.

As for the rest of it, it was just petty: why do you even need the space, I don't need that space, you shouldn't need that space, buy a different type of phone, irrelevance.
    There's exactly zero 'advice' related to the actual question I'd asked, about sd cards; just you effectively attempting to tell me why I'm doing it wrong, as it were.
    Like I said, utterly unhelpful.

You'd do well to go back and read your own message again if you can't understand that - as I already said, thanks for nothing!

Are you mentally challenged. You have posted last few days about a f**king SD card and no one answered because nobody uses that much space in a phone except the extremely rare few. If someone uses such a large SD card they would have posted a reply end of, no need to keep posting about the same thing everyday.

Are you mentally challenged. You have posted last few days about a f**king SD card and no one answered because nobody uses that much space in a phone except the extremely rare few. If someone uses such a large SD card they would have posted a reply end of, no need to keep posting about the same thing everyday.

Wow, temper temper - you might wanna get a handle on that; you've clearly got some issues there. And attempting to posit that someone is "mentally challenged", because you disagree with them, is really the bottom of the barrel man - and the mark of someone with serious character deficiencies in my experience.

So - you're also the arbiter of the whole board now too, are you?
    Give over!

Simple as this wotzgoingon, you don't know why anyone else did or did not post; and you don't get to decide who can or cannot post, or how many times they get to post about something; whether you like it or not - you get it? Or do I need to say it again?

Now get lost, you irritating little man; for someone with nothing of value to add, you certainly spout an awful lot of irrelevant bulls**t!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

The darkness, I'd say that'll be the last post that tries to help you with your query

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Hoping someone can help please - my S9 was in the possession of kids at a party today, found it & battery had died. Plugged it in, powered it on and it seems to want to do a factory reset. It starts on a "Lets Go" screen like it's a first time setup and then displays a message about an unauthorised attempt to factory reset. I can get in to the boot menu (Vol Up + Bixby key + Power) but not sure which option to choose.

I do not want to do a factory reset at all, wasn't having any issue with the phone, just want it to boot as normal and not lose any files or data.

Any ideas how I could achieve this please? I haven't done any specific sort of backup of the phone.

Thanks!

Try this guide. If you lose data do not blame me flash at your own risk.

https://computerinspire.com/how-to-flash-samsung-galaxy-s9-s9plus/

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Great, thanks. I presume it is now unavoidable given the point it's at to do some form of flash/reset? i.e. there is no option to just boot normally, or boot to the last known good figuration like a Windows PC?

Many thanks

That's a very helpful post, thanks, I will file that away for future reference.

For reference, with regard to expandable storage options, the maximum I have ever seen used is 256gb.

For whatever my opinion is worth, reliance on anything, larger for whatever reason, is asking for trouble. SD cards are notoriously high in fail rates at larger capacities. If more storage is what's sought, the safer long term option is a handset with a higher capacity internal storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

How are people finding the battery life on the phone these days if you have the phone for a long period of time?

Owner of a Samsung S9+ for 18 months now and the battery is lucky to last me 12 hours. Usage wouldn't be over the top by any means. Once the battery gets below 10% it instantly plummets to 0%.

Has anyone got a battery replacement online or recommend a shop to replace it?

Irish94 wrote: »
    How are people finding the battery life on the phone these days if you have the phone for a long period of time?

Owner of a Samsung S9+ for 18 months now and the battery is lucky to last me 12 hours. Usage wouldn't be over the top by any means. Once the battery gets below 10% it instantly plummets to 0%.

Has anyone got a battery replacement online or recommend a shop to replace it?

I replaced the battery in mine recently, had it fit for €60. seems to have made a big difference. My only issue now is there's a crack on the screen but I have already been down that replacement road once so i'm not inclined toward another €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I replaced the battery in mine recently, had it fit for €60. seems to have made a big difference. My only issue now is there's a crack on the screen but I have already been down that replacement road once so i'm not inclined toward another €250.

Did you get it replaced in Dublin by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Same here with battery. Anywhere under 20% and the battery can plummet and the phone shut down in minutes even if just browsing forums.

• Advertisement

Irish94 wrote: »
    Did you get it replaced in Dublin by any chance?

Unfortunately not, but I can't imagine there would be a lot of price difference?

Advertisement