Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S9/9+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Every time I get a new phone, which has been more than a few times this year, I freshly format the card when it first goes in the phone and take the pain for a few hours of re transfering all my music to the sd card (with it still in the phone contected with the usb obvs).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sounds like a problem with the SD card, particularly if it's happening with the laptop too. I'd suggest you try repairing the SD card through Windows Command Prompt. I'm assuming you have WIndows? If so, plug your SD card in and open My Computer or Windows Explorer to find out what drive letter your SD card is (for this example I'm going to assume it's E:). Hit the Windows key and R together to get the 'Run' window open, type cmd and hit enter.

In the command prompt, type chkdsk e: /offlinescanandfix and hit enter. This will run a scan of SD card and repair any issues it can find. Once the scan is complete, see if the inaccessible music is now accessible.

I had an issue with my last SD card whereby it kept causing the phone to freeze. The music on it was accessible, for a while, but after a random amount of time it would go offline. It would work in the laptop, and I could scan it, but ultimately I had to replace the SD card as it just wouldn't work in the phone.

Thanks for the reply SuprSi. Tbh when I initially said that it didn't read on the laptop, I meant when it was still mounted in the phone and connected through the usb; but it turns out that when I unmounted it and plugged it in directly, it still had the same problem.

I've been trying to do as you said for the last hour or so, but it just refuses to work - I keep getting a variety of refusal/invalid messages.

When I first did it, exactly as you typed it chkdsk j: /offlinescanandfix (with the spaces, colon and forward slashes exactly as you typed them, it came up as Invalid Parameter - /offlinescanandfix???

Then when I tried it separately, as in chkdsk j: first, on its own; it said - Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. (This makes absolutely no sense to me, as this is my computer and no-one else uses or has access to it; so if I don't have the sufficient access or privileges, then who the hell does?)

Then when I tried it with any various combinations of it that I could think of, it continued to give me the same Invalid Parameter computer-says-no refusal.

To clarify, I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Now, it's even more frustrating - it really is utterly infuriating.
    So if there's any further help or suggestions you (or anyone else) could give I'd be eternally grateful, as this is just driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you run command prompt as admin?

Edit: Made a mistake. It's not did you, more like make sure you run as admin as you deffo did not. Right click and then more run as admin.

Did you run command prompt as admin?

Edit: Made a mistake. It's not did you, more like make sure you run as admin as you deffo did not. Right click and then more run as admin.

Ok, you were right. I previously hadn't ran as admin; so I did as you said - and there was some movement, but no real improvement or resolution wrt to the issue unfortunately;
    as it's counting the missing files and folders as present.

It ran a check saying the type of file system: exFAT.
    Volume Serial Number
    Then said that Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and Folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

Then it lists off the total disk space, number of files, number of indexes; number in bad sectors (0); number in use by the system; number available on the disk.

How many bytes in each allocation unit.
    The total allocation units on disk.
    Allocation units available on disk.

And that's it; still no acknowledgement of the missing/unread files; nor any means of diagnosing or fixing what the problem is - indeed, accordiung to that, they're all present and correct.

Does it mean anything more to you? Am I missing something?

Ok, you were right. I previously hadn't ran as admin; so I did as you said - and there was some movement, but no real improvement or resolution wrt to the issue unfortunately;
    as it's counting the missing files and folders as present.

It ran a check saying the type of file system: exFAT.
    Volume Serial Number
    Then said that Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and Folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

Then it lists off the total disk space, number of files, number of indexes; number in bad sectors (0); number in use by the system; number available on the disk.

How many bytes in each allocation unit.
    The total allocation units on disk.
    Allocation units available on disk.

And that's it; still no acknowledgement of the missing/unread files; nor any means of diagnosing or fixing what the problem is - indeed, accordiung to that, they're all present and correct.

Does it mean anything more to you? Am I missing something?

Here's a screenshot.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the issue is. Can you connect the SD card to a computer without using the phone and see if you can see or play the songs?

I'm not sure what the issue is. Can you connect the SD card to a computer without using the phone and see if you can see or play the songs?

Unfortunately, that makes two of us. :(

Ya, it's already unmounted from the phone and directly connected to the laptop; and has been since I started running the check disk diagnostics etc and still no sign of the files.

They're still taking up space (about 50 gigs of 104 in total used, of 119 overall), but cannot be viewed, accessed or even deleted - tbh I'm at a loss now myself.

Have you the files saved else where? If so low level wipe the card and then format (not quick format) and then transfer all files back. Pain I know but these things happen.

I'm nearly 100% certain after doing that you will be able to play your songs from phone and if not the SD card is at fault.

Have you the files saved else where? If so low level wipe the card and then format (not quick format) and then transfer all files back. Pain I know but these things happen.

I'm nearly 100% certain after doing that you will be able to play your songs from phone and if not the SD card is at fault.

Ya, they're all saved on an external drive; although spread about all over the place, which will be rather inconvenient.
    It's beginning to look like this is the only option left though, although I'd prefer to avoid doing it if possible.

There really shouldn't be anything wrong with the card though. I had it in my previous phone, a HTC One M8, and it was working fine for years.

This problem has only occurred since I transferred it into my new S9 plus; so it seems to me to be more like some sort of a compatibility issue, rather than an actual malfunction of the card itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ah, I can see you're running Windows 7 and that option only came in Windows 8 and above. You can try the /r option instead, which should do the same thing;

Chkdsk e: /r

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Ah, I can see you're running Windows 7 and that option only came in Windows 8 and above. You can try the /r option instead, which should do the same thing;

Chkdsk e: /r

Ok, so I ran that one and now we seem to be getting somewhere.
    It went through the usual steps until verifying files and folders.
    Then said that The disk does not have enough space space to replace bad clusters detected in file \Audio\FLACS Etc.\Tindersticks - Tindersticks (1993) FLAC\13 - piano song.flac

The next line was Corruption was found while examining files in directory \Audio\FLACS Etc.\Tindersticks - Tindersticks (1993) FLAC (47).

And is then completed with: C:\Windows\system32> of name 2174084
    'of' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable or batch file.

Now, most of this only makes a little sense to me. I do understand wrt to the corrupted files; that that whole folder (FLACS) that has been referenced there twice, can't even be accessed at all. Not when the card is mounted on the phone on the laptop or on the phone itself; nor, indeed, when the card is unmounted and connected directly into my laptop. If I click on it, it just says: J:\Audio\Flacs Etc. refers to a location that is unavailable etc
    And there are several other folders and files on the card that are nowhere to be seen at all; not on the phone, sd card or via the laptop, they're like ghosts.
    50 gigs or so worth.

I don't know why there isn't enough space to replace bad clusters either, as there's a good 15 gigs of space still on the sd card - so there should be plenty, no?

At least there's been some progress towards identifying the issue - anyone know what the next step needs to or should be?

The only option is what I said above about wiping the device.

Or you could make a new folder on Desktop and move a fair chunk of files you can see on the SD card to that new folder on desktop and then delete from sd card and try again the fix and see if there is enough room for windows to apply a fix. And if it is then fixed transfer that folder on desktop back to SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tbh sounds like the SD card is a goner. I've had it happen to two SanDisk SD cards in the last 6 months. Devices read that there's files on it and the capacity used and remaining, but no amount of tools can repair, format or delete them. It's a common enough problem.

I think we're nearly at the point of giving up on the SD card. The lack of space is likely due to corruption, so you could try what wotzgoingon suggests and move some accessible files to the PC before running chkdsk again. If that doesn't work, you could try formatting it, but it might just be a goner unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Hurrache wrote: »
    Tbh sounds like the SD card is a goner. I've had it happen to two SanDisk SD cards in the last 6 months. Devices read that there's files on it and the capacity used and remaining, but no amount of tools can repair, format or delete them. It's a common enough problem.

Doesn’t sound normal for sandisk. Possibly a cheap Chinese knockoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Curently have 64gb sd card in my S9+, what would be the best sd card out there. I was looking at Samsungs own range any recomondations? Bigger the better will be going hols so plenty of space is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone know best (cheapest) place to buy a brand new unlocked S9 in Dublin/online?
    Would you buy off eBay?
    Got my current S6 from eBay 3 years ago and it's still alive (sometimes only just...)
    Options?
    Thanks in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zipppy wrote: »
    Anyone know best (cheapest) place to buy a brand new unlocked S9 in Dublin/online?
    Would you buy off eBay?
    Got my current S6 from eBay 3 years ago and it's still alive (sometimes only just...)
    Options?
    Thanks in advance....

Would you buy a grade A refurb (I would). Its very cheap.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grade-a-samsung-galaxy-s9-all-colours-58-64gb-4g-unlocked-sim-free-399-appliances-laptops-direct-3154714

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Curently have 64gb sd card in my S9+, what would be the best sd card out there. I was looking at Samsungs own range any recomondations? Bigger the better will be going hols so plenty of space is a must.

You can't really go wrong with a SanDisk SD card. Their Extreme Pro versions are very well rated. A little expensive and you might not need that speed on the phone, but they should be very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any sign of more people getting the update? No sign on the missus phone yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TBi wrote: »
    Doesn’t sound normal for sandisk. Possibly a cheap Chinese knockoff?

Nah, they've been genuine, unless the likes of Argos are being scammed too. A bit of googling does show it's not an unusual issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

errlloyd wrote: »

I bought a S9+ 128GB dual sim for the wife for Christmas from It-Fix on Parnell street. Got it for €640. No issues with it whatsoever. Shes over the moon with it. Using it on vodafone network, and has already been in Northern Ireland with it and all good.

Would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mine's unlocked.. no joy.

Or do you mean running unbranded/stock firmware?

fm radio apk's wont work on exynos versions...only snapdragons....typically here we get exynos cpu's in samsung phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Just got the android Pie update (with January 1 security patch).

Unlocked phone from Amazon - Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Any sign of more people getting the update? No sign on the missus phone yet

Still nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Mines an Eir phone, I'm sure I'll be waiting until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I'm with three, nothing here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Mine is SIM free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Has anybody had issues with the microphone failing on their device?

Bought a S9+ in November in the US and only started using it pre-Christmas when I got over. Was working fine but on some WhatsApp calls I couldn't be heard through the mic so had to go on loudspeaker. Reset permissions and it was back working, then failed again. Factory reset the phone and no issues so far, fingers crossed. Going to go to a Samsung Service centre in NYC tomorrow to see what they might say but only have a few days before heading home, all a bit annoying.

Seems to be a known issue that Samsung are not addressing for a few devices. Oh and another one, even though Samsung have acknowledged that it is an issue they will only replace it 15 days after the order/purchase date. We are so lucky to have EU consumer protection laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

My battery life isn't great on the 9..any suggestions or apps to extend the battery life to get me another 2 or 3 hours..ta

Advertisement