Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played in that heat yesterday and got 35 points off 18. Started off slow and picked up after a few holes.

Pins were in some tricky positions.

Elmgreen greens were faster than ive ever played them. Scratched the 12th as i was below the hole and managed to mess up uphill putts and the chip on that just kept coming back to me. Was comical really. I was afraid to go past hole as a downhill putt looked like i wouldnt be able to stop it

Was a yard or two off driving the green on the 14th. Just fell into greenside bunker. Escaped with a par .

Parred the par 5 16th which usually bogey hole for me, and chipped in with a sandwedge from 60 yards on the 10th for birdie

My driving is usually decent but i was all over the place with it yeterday so happy with the score and feel it could have been better. 6 pars 1 birdie 2 scratches .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played inter Scratch Cup yday in searing heat. Finished 83, +12 off 11. Winner was 79 with 3 x 82 completing the places. Felt like I didn’t play well, score included a double on the first and a treble on the 4th. Lipped our for birdie on 18 from 30ft, looked destined for the cup all the way until it horseshoed it at the finished. Course was burnt from the recent good weather

Game is there for a big score just not happening. Too many lose shots either off the tee or on approach costing me shots. Maybe that says more about needing to work on scrambling over anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Nett 72 in the monthly medal in headfort (off 15), a case of what might have been. Great front nine with 2 birdies offset by a treble (ball ob) and a couple of bogeys. Back nine was harder work, another treble (3-putt driven) and three doubles (all bad tee shots) meant I went from hoping for a decent handicap cut to finishing in the buffer.

6 pars
    2 birdies
    5 bogeys
    3 double bogeys
    2 treble bogeys

FW: 46%
    GIR: 28%
    Scrambling: 33%
    Putts: 32 (1.6 putts per GIR)

Overall though probably scored well enough considering I was fairly wayward off the tee at times (the bad ones were very bad), putting saved me a good few shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Played captains qualifier on Saturday - played steady for 15 holes, including 8 pars and a birdie, but finished terribly scratch scratch, 1 pointer! Ended with 31 points.

I qualified for Captains day, but will only be an "also ran" on the day, from looking to post a solid score going into captains day it's disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Out for a casual Sunday evening with the two brothers.

Felt I was playing very average but scoring quite well, managed the disasters and hit a handful of quality shots.

1 Birdie
    2 Pars
    2 Doubles
    The rest were bogies.

I was pin high in two on the first par 5 and chipped it into the bunker where it plugged. Two swings to get it out. I can see the funny side now ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Captains prize yesterday and I played pretty well despite my score. 76 nett playing off 6. Two disastrous 7's on the card were my undoing.

Was +8 after 11 and set myself the unrealistic target of shooting -4 for the last 7 to give myself a shot. I birdied the 12th. Lipped out on 13 and 14 but birdied 15. Missed another birdie putt on 16 but then got undone on the short 17th with a bogey and finished with a 7 on 18.

Still overall, happy with how I played. Out to 6.4 now though. 1 round away from 7 thank God. I need the easy life lol

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

i'm going to start posting in here to embarrass myself into playing better! 1st round will be this coming sunday… ppl will be waiting with bated breath im sure :) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

i'm going to start posting in here to embarrass myself into playing better! 1st round will be this coming sunday… ppl will be waiting with bated breath im sure :) haha

Hasn't worked for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

31 pts Sunday another 0.1 back 19.4 now and on the brink! Had 38pts & 39 pts 2 weeks previous. CSS 39 pts Sunday and 38 pts the week previous so no cut :mad: Its impossible to get my HC down!!

benny79 wrote: »
    31 pts Sunday another 0.1 back 19.4 now and on the brink! Had 38pts & 39 pts 2 weeks previous. CSS 39 pts Sunday and 38 pts the week previous so no cut :mad: Its impossible to get my HC down!!

Hey Benny, do you know if many members don't hand in their scorecards? it's something I've read about where they don't want the .1 back but their scores are skewing the CSS for that day. i.e. if the absolute awful cards were handed in the CSS might have been a few shots lower

• Advertisement

They brought a rule in last year that you get a automatic 0.1 if your card is not handed in to combat this, but obviously not working! but yes a lot don't hand the card back in.

Last week I had 38 CSS was 39 and the first & second had 42 pts.. no cut and just 4 pts of the winner! Really pisses me off...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They brought a rule in last year that you get a automatic 0.1 if your card is not handed in to combat this, but obviously not working! but yes a lot don't hand the card back in.

Last week I had 38 CSS was 39 and the first & second had 42 pts.. no cut and just 4 pts of the winner! Really pisses me off...

How or where is it you don't get a .1 back for an NR? It should be automatically done, no excuses. If it's affecting the css, that's just worse

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

We had an issue with this last year. Club made a rule that if you had multiple NRs, your handicap would be suspended. Sorted that out fairly quick. CSS returned to normal

martinkop wrote: »
    We had an issue with this last year. Club made a rule that if you had multiple NRs, your handicap would be suspended. Sorted that out fairly quick. CSS returned to normal

I think some lads just don't realise they're affecting others by not handing in the card

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

NRs impacting the CSS is a bit of a myth.

The only way the CSS could be impacted is if the player was in the Buffer Zone or better and didn't hand in his card. I suspect that 99.9% of NRs happen after a bad round.

As long as everybody is signed into the competition then there should be no impact on the CSS

paulos53 wrote: »

The only way the CSS could be impacted is if the player was in the Buffer Zone or better and didn't hand in his card. I suspect that 99.9% of NRs happen after a bad round.

As long as everybody is signed into the competition then there should be no impact on the CSS

This. I talked to our handicap secretary about it before and he said something similar to the above. and was explaining it to me but I didnt really get the jest of it, but basically at my club CSS is always around 37,38,39 pts never seen it lower or higher than the above. As NR's are getting .1 back anyway..

paulos53 wrote: »

Sorry now if it's a silly question: so lets say there's a number of cards NR'd & all had terrible scores. Would these scores not have brought the CSS down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Sorry now if it's a silly question: so lets say there's a number of cards NR'd & all had terrible scores. Would these scores not have brought the CSS down?

No. The only scores taken into account in calculating CSS are those within the buffer zone of SSS.
    All other scores are ignored.

The only way an NR would possibly affect CSS is if for some reason a player didnt submit a card which was within the buffer zone.

The number of players that break this is then used as a percentage to calculate the CSS.
    That is my understanding of it anyway. If im wrong then im open to correction.

Im terrible at explaining but have a look at the Congu manual for more info. It should be on golfnet.

kiers47 wrote: »
    No. The only scores taken into account in calculating CSS are those within the buffer zone of SSS.
    All other scores are ignored.

The only way an NR would possibly affect CSS is if for some reason a player didnt submit a card which was within the buffer zone.

The number of players that break this is then used as a percentage to calculate the CSS.
    That is my understanding of it anyway. If im wrong then im open to correction.

Im terrible at explaining but have a look at the Congu manual for more info. It should be on golfnet.

Cheers Kiers, I get the gist of what you're say & will look in to it more

yeah was talking to the HC secretary yesterday he was telling me it was all the scores in the buffer that affect the CSS the more you have the higher it is! Still think ours is way to high...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Through to the QF of our doubles matchplay with a 2&1 win. 15 handicapper partner hit 2 birdies which helped.

I had 1 birdie and 11 pars. Probably should have had a few more birdies but think i ended up around 34/35 points.

Opposition won 5 of the 6 holes they had shots on with par so my pars were no use.

Great game with 2 other members who didn't take themselves or the match too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

yeah was talking to the HC secretary yesterday he was telling me it was all the scores in the buffer that affect the CSS the more you have the higher it is! Still think ours is way to high...
    What's your SSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

29 points today off 18, highest ever score :)

Started playing golf 9 months ago, 25 was my previous hi-score so delighted with this. What's worse is my putting is usually fairly good but I had 4 three putts from inside 10 feet.

I think there is a big score in me if I can sort out my driving, it's all over the place with a massive slice far too common!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

41 after a solid 18 months of 23 - 26. Of course it was a team 4 ball and the other 3 lads didn't go well so no prizes for me. Still, I feel like this is the year where I might figure out how to play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Junior scratch today started with a treble followed by a double followed by 2 bogeys. Show over after 4. Got it together to be +1 for the next 5. Another treble followed by a bogey started the back 9 before a coup de grace of a 10 where I had to tee off 3 times before finding the water with my approach. A late birdie brought a wry smile but a +19 finish is 0.1 country

Single of the backs today

38Pts
    15F/23B
    5 Pars
    2 Birdies
    2Doubles
    2 Triples ( one got me a point as it was index 2)

It was one of those days where I hit some great shots and got rewarded and some OK shots and got punished heavily. 3 unlucky bounces resulted in 2 triples and a double. All 3 ended up snug against the stump of a bush. Two of them were from bounces in the mouth of the green. It was the kind of shot where you can't see the ball and just pray some part of the club makes contact.

Strike was/is appaling, low in the toe almost off the grooves. The plus is apparently you can still hit shots from there hence the 15pts on the front :pac:

Went back to my lesson and tried over doing it and started hitting some decent shots so obviously more work is needed as its slipping again.

Very happy with my back 9. Apart from some poor shots + some unlucky ones I was playing well. First Birdie two in a comp aswell so delighted with that. Lipped out for my 3rd birdie in a row :D

Points were wrong, computer was down so I went I didn't even check them.

40 pts and second place. Should be off exactly 20 now with a css of 38

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played carton house O Meara course this morning
    No birdies although i did have plenty of tap in pars
    Parred 1,2,3,10,12,13 14 some were saved and some missed opportunities.
    6 doubles and 2 scratches

35 points, and was actually disappointed even taking into account i havent slept since friday night and hit some really tired shots. We used buggies so that made it a hell of a lot easier on me, can only imagine what kind of card i would of had if i walked it.

Some of the views are stunning and it was a great day for it it. Lovely course but out of my price range in reality

well lads... I dunno if it's that I knew i'd be writing my details here or just total luck but shot 78 gross (67 net, off 11) today... delighted!!! my best score in competition to date.

Monthly medal stroke play off the blues
    Birdies: 2
    Pars: 9
    Bogeys: 6
    Doubles: 1

GIR: 10

Out: 40 (+4) In: 38 (+2)

Pros: hit the irons very well today! took irons off a few tees i'd usually hit driver & played with a lot more thought (I think anyway)

Cons: bladed 2 chips on tight lies when should have been pretty standard. left 3 birdie putts about an inch shy... but i'll feck'n take tap in pars :)

I thought I'd be in with a good chance but heard a 15 handicapper (fierce nice fella & he's always up practising & deserves it!) had a great round aswell shooting 78 gross (63net). happy out to be cutting a decent cut at least

• Advertisement

Casual with the brothers in Moyvalley

17F/21B 38Pts

5 pars with 4 in a row on the back 9

Short game solid, just couldn’t get a good read of the greens and had a lot of par putts slip past on the front 9.

Irons still a bit hot and miss but good enough to get around and hot the odd green in GIR

Brother had a 410yd drive. We know it hit a path but the only path is 360yds up so must have been a decent dig to catch it on a bounce all the same.

Druids Glen tomorrow in an Open so looking forward to it.

Advertisement