Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

38 points in the professionals prize on Saturday to win my division.
    15 pars
    2 bogeys
    1 double

Missed 6 birdie putts inside 10 feet and 3 putted after hitting into 15 feet on one of the par 5s.

Third cut of the year so down a total of 1.1 so far down to 5.5. Driving and iron play v consistent. Make a few more putts and a level par round is in there.

Had a whopper shank into the water too!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

frink wrote: »
    38 points in the professionals prize on Saturday to win my division.
    15 pars
    2 bogeys
    1 double

Missed 6 birdie putts inside 10 feet and 3 putted after hitting into 15 feet on one of the par 5s.

Third cut of the year so down a total of 1.1 so far down to 5.5. Driving and iron play v consistent. Make a few more putts and a level par round is in there.

Had a whopper shank into the water too!

15 pars. that's serious consistency there. Any of my 36+ rounds are usually when the putter is on fire and I sink 3 or more birdies. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

34 points today in first qualifying competition of the year. Only had 13 on front nine, back was mad with 6 pars, 1 birdie, a double and treble bogey then. Saved myself I think, so relatively happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

31 points.

Hitting the 3i really well, learned I don't need driver on two holes. In general my irons were good.

So many 3 putts. Maybe 6 or 7. Played on 3 very different greens in the last 7 days and no practice this week with work being busy. If I had more excuses I'd use them.

So many bad chips.

Lessons starting Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

27 points off 14.
    2 birdies
    11 bogeys
    5 scratches
    take from it what you will cause I don't know what the hell is going on. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

90 strokes gross 77 net in the medal at the weekend. CSS was 75 so managed to get in the buffer zone

6 pars
    6 bogies
    6 doubles

Chipping and putting was quite poor, so I know what I'll be practicing this week

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

36 points on Saturday with a CSS of 35 to get 0.2 cut to reach my start of the year target of 5.

Scrappy first 8 holes to be +6 but then went level par for the last 10 to finish with 21 points on the back 9.

2 birdies
    9 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 dbl bogey

Poor iron play on the front 9 cost me my shots. 3 putt and poor chip cost me the 2 bogeys on the back 9 but pleased to scramble back to 36 points after the poor start.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

An 85 gross in the Balbriggan Intermediate Scratch Cup, had a double bogey on the last and ended up 3rd.

Went out in the afternoon and an 81 gross in my home club and won..... finishing with a treble bogey on the last. If golf was only a 17 hole comp... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »

We take on my brother-in-law and his brother in the next round. A family grudge match! :D

I was once again back to scratch, my brother in law getting 6 shots off me, his brother getting 12 shots and my dad getting 16

Played them on Saturday morning and we got out to a tough start as my brother in law was on fire. They were 2 up after 6 holes thanks to two birdies and some incredible putting from him.. He holed 4 putts from outside 20 feet in the first 6 holes. 3 for halves and 1 for the win.

Myself and dad finally got on the board on the 7th when we both had nett birdies but they won the 8th with both having par with shots.

The 9th could have been the turning point of the match. Par 5 - My brother in law lost his ball and his brother was in trouble off the tee but managed to scramble his way onto the green in 3 but about 40 feet away. I was also on in regulation, 10 feet away and my dad on in 3 (with a shot) and 25 feet away. Our opponents got down in 2 which left me with 1 putt to win and 2 putts to win for my dad. Sadly my putt stopped on the front lip, hanging over the hole and my dad missed a 4 footer, the hole was halved and we remained 2 down after 9.

I won the 10th(with par) and 12th(with birdie) to get us back to level in the match but they won the 13th and 16th, holes where they had shots to go 2up with 2 to play.

There had been a bit of a breeze all day but the gusts really picked up on 17. Our opposition hit their two shots on the short par3 17th, both getting fooled by the wind and hitting over the green. I feathered a 9-iron in to 10 feet and we clawed a hole back. Going up 18 just 1 down. Myself and my dad were delighted to even have the match still going this far. The two lads were in trouble off the tee after I ripped mine up the middle. I was just off the right edge in 2 but had an awkward chip of about 40 feet to a pin that sat just the far side of a spine in the green, very tough to get close.

One of our opposition had gotten on the green in 4 and with a shot on the hole could only hope for a 6 at best. I deftly hit my chip, to where it ran out 5 feet passed the hole. A brilliant result to which I coolly hit the putt home and we were down 19.

Everyone hit great drives. Myself and the low guy were on the green in two, but I was closest. The other two were on in 3, both with shots. They got down in nett 4 and after I mi**** my first putt, I needed to make a 6 footer with about 4 inches of break to get us down the 20th. Struck it beautifully and it just fell in the cup on the high side.

Playing the 20th, a short par3, I hit a horrific tee shot. I just couldn't get comfortable over it and subsequently mi**** it. (so im out of the hole) My dad hit a great shot though, just off the front left of the green. Great position. Our opposition, one of them finished beside me, so also dead and my brother in law plugged in the front bunker. He splashed it out to about 25 feet above the hole. My dad rolled up his putt up to 4 feet short of the hole.

In regulation play, my brother in law had been 35 feet passed the flag in 2 and calmly slotted the putt home for a half that they didnt deserve, could history repeat itself ? Your damn sure it is. It was never going anywhere else and was his 7th putt of more than 20 feet that he holed in the round. Just super putting. Sadly my dad mi**** the putt and the match was over.

it was a super contest. Roll on next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Played the Monthly Medal on Sunday - was going along nicely, 7 over after 15 holes (handicap 12) - hit my drive in the middle of the fairway on 16 - then out of nowhere I shanked my ball into the forest ! ended up with a triple bogey 7. Parred my way in. 
    70 Nett, 66 won, missed a tiddler on the on 13th for another double bogey ! 
    Happy with how I played - after 12 holes I thought I had a chance but not to be - won my catergory which is nice bonus. 
    2 Birdies 
    7 Pars
    7 Bogeys 
    1 DB 
    1 TB 
    On the right track though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Won the medal on Saturday with 87 gross, net 69 off 18. Would of been better considering I finished with a treble and double bogey on the last 2 holes. Cut 1.5 and down to 16

Played a casual which was meant to be a comp until the last minute today.

40pts
    1 scratch
    1 Birdie
    5 pars

Would have been a nice cut :(
    The scratch was a right pain. Two guys joined us and started talking during my address, I waited a sec and then started the swing only for them to start again. First proper bad drive of the day. Had to actually stand off the ball on the 18th and ask them to stop which was a first for me.

Open in Moyvalley today

Was late going and got there just on time to tee off. First time hitting a ball since the lesson which seems like a bad idea looking back at it.

36points
    13F/23B
    Swing got going near the end of the front 9 after a poor start. Went 5 holes in 5 points, one a triple where I had a shot then started playing some golf.

Played with two members there and they were great company, made the round alot more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

stroke. 92 gross 78 nett. 4 lost balls.......next.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stoke play off the back tees, and shot a 94 (77 nett). Was going well enough on the front 9 (5 over) but fell apart on the back 9 again. The 10th-13th holes kill me, and i really need to figure them out. Think i may have finally figured out the new driver though. Changed my stance on the 15th, and hit 3 amazing drives over the few holes. Gonna try and get out again tomorrow and see if i can keep that up.

Had 3 absolute disaster scores playing the donegal links challenge in rosapenna, ballyliffin and portsalon. Superb tournament. So many hooks of the tee which thankfully i think i've fixed.

Played stableford back at home on saturday. 31 points off 6.

1 birdie (missed eagle by inches)
    8 pars
    6 bogeys
    3 double bogeys (all on front 9)

have matchplay against a mate tomorrow night. giving away 11 shots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had 33 points this weekend, certainly more consistent scoring between the two 9s. Left a few putts literally hanging over the edge, iron play was good so just need to improve from within 100 now

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Won first round of singles matchplay 3&1 giving a lad 4 shots. Some horrendous golf by both parties throughout but shot -1 for the last 3 holes to close it out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

33 points yesterday. I was good in or around the greens, but my drives and mid game were hurting me.

My scoring is becoming a bit more consistent, but my play is still erratic at best. I'm going to get a lesson or two in the next month and see if i can get some tips on how to stop driving so poorly. When i hit it, it goes a mile (hit one 307 yards yesterday according to the app), but i'm either hooking or fading it too often. I also need some work on my play at around 120-70 yards. I think i've got the distances down, but i'm constantly pulling my shots, and i end up left of the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Played open in the PGA Palmerstown 27 pts of the black Tees..

What a monster! There was 60/80 yds between the black and white Tees on some holes!! was actually playing well on the front 9, started the back 9 with a 2 on the 10th par 3, then had 3 scratches in a row just pure tiredness I was shattered it is 1 long course of the blacks!

Very enjoyable round all the same super course and in great nick! and came away with a 2 so least I won something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have been slowly ticking up on 0.1s since qualifying started this year. Started at 10.8, and have had a run of 6 0.1s to get up to 11.4.

The last 2 weeks I've missed buffer by 1 point (thought I'd managed to sneak with a week ago having birdied the last hole, to hit 34 points, but CSS came in a 71 on the day, so was disgusted).

Course was hosting the Bruen on Sunday, so we got a course switch with Millicent. Went out without much in terms of expectations. Was a bit late getting to the course so couldn't pop across to the range to get loosened up properly, just a few chips & putts.

Started with a birdie on the first, a long par 5, with a shot, for 4 points. That eased me nicely into the round. Ended up having 39 points, 81 strokes (par 73). Results haven't been announced yet, but hopefully CSS comes in level which would get me back to my start of year handicap. Computer was down in the clubhouse, so guessing the Comp secretary hasn't gotten around to a lot of manual sorting out yet.

FIR: 14%
    GIR: 39%
    Scrambling: 36%
    31 Putts

Should have been at least 3 points better off.

Missed a very short & make-able birdie putt on the 12th. About 4ft putt, slight uphill & straight, and I left it short :o

Then on the par 3 15th, hit an OK tee shot, was just short of the green, but safe. Had a straight forward chip from below the hole. Almost missed the ball, managed to clip it just off the toe & went almost straight-right & into the face of a greenside bunker. Barely got it out. Then lipped out a chip for bogey. Then lipped out the putt back down the hill to end up with a treble & my only scratch of the day (there were a few expletives uttered on the walk from the 15th green to the 16th tee!!!)

So, beat my handicap for the first time since qualifying started this year. Has been a disappointing season so far. Was carrying pretty decent form out of the winter, so hopefully can put a few decent scores in over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Very mixed fortunes at the moment.
    Played both sat and sun first qualifying games this year. I finished 31 and 34 pts for 2 x 0.1's.

Long range putting was poor, driving good, and long game good. Wedges hit and miss. Fighting the sh**ks a bit which dents confidence. Eagled a hole on Saturday. Sunday start went birdy, 3putt-bogey, birdy, chip out of trees -bogey. The course finishes with 2 par 5's and a tough long par 4. On 16th was just off the rhs with a drive a mish1t 4i, in good position though, then took 4 more to get down for a bogey. 17th a drive and perfect 5i left me with uphill med range putt for eagle, 4putted for a bogey. 18th big drive and 52 wedge, pulled wedge slightly to fringe left managed to get up and down on the tough 18th green. But unfortunately finished just one outside buffer zone for my trouble :(

I sh**ked a few times, had to chip out sideways multiple times. 3-putt almost everything, and then the one 4 putt.

My last three drives on 16, 17 and 18 added up to 860m and were dead centre fairway. But I just don't seem to be able to get the ball in the hole.

Frustrated I immediately impulse bought a new centre shaft putter after the round to give it a try. Jury's out whether this was a good move so far. If I can get a feel for longer range putts at this summer I think I can start turning in a few scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

game gone to absolute sh**e. actually more the driving. slicing more or less all drives.need a chainsaw with me . seriously depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

game gone to absolute sh**e. actually more the driving. slicing more or less all drives.need a chainsaw with me . seriously depressed.
    I know it's youtube, and frowned upon, get proper lessons, blah blah.
    This series of videos have changed my driving from a bad slice to a manageable fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    I know it's youtube, and frowned upon, get proper lessons, blah blah.
    This series of videos have changed my driving from a bad slice to a manageable fade.

cheers. was actually looking at those last night. must get to the range this week and give it a go. did it take you long to get results?

Have been slowly ticking up on 0.1s since qualifying started this year. Started at 10.8, and have had a run of 6 0.1s to get up to 11.4.

The last 2 weeks I've missed buffer by 1 point (thought I'd managed to sneak with a week ago having birdied the last hole, to hit 34 points, but CSS came in a 71 on the day, so was disgusted).

Course was hosting the Bruen on Sunday, so we got a course switch with Millicent. Went out without much in terms of expectations. Was a bit late getting to the course so couldn't pop across to the range to get loosened up properly, just a few chips & putts.

Started with a birdie on the first, a long par 5, with a shot, for 4 points. That eased me nicely into the round. Ended up having 39 points, 81 strokes (par 73). Results haven't been announced yet, but hopefully CSS comes in level which would get me back to my start of year handicap. Computer was down in the clubhouse, so guessing the Comp secretary hasn't gotten around to a lot of manual sorting out yet.

FIR: 14%
    GIR: 39%
    Scrambling: 36%
    31 Putts

Should have been at least 3 points better off.

Missed a very short & make-able birdie putt on the 12th. About 4ft putt, slight uphill & straight, and I left it short :o

Then on the par 3 15th, hit an OK tee shot, was just short of the green, but safe. Had a straight forward chip from below the hole. Almost missed the ball, managed to clip it just off the toe & went almost straight-right & into the face of a greenside bunker. Barely got it out. Then lipped out a chip for bogey. Then lipped out the putt back down the hill to end up with a treble & my only scratch of the day (there were a few expletives uttered on the walk from the 15th green to the 16th tee!!!)

So, beat my handicap for the first time since qualifying started this year. Has been a disappointing season so far. Was carrying pretty decent form out of the winter, so hopefully can put a few decent scores in over the next few weeks.

Seems I won my class prize. Also away CSS came in a shot harder so down to 10.6.

Pity about the scratch as even a double on the hole would have gotten me down to 10 for the first time

Played 36 holes yesterday. Tired today is an understatement.

Round 1 - Open week stableford @ an away course

4 Pars, 5 Bogeys on front 9. playing ok, a silly 3 putt, a miss from 5 feet and a few miss-clubbed approaches.

Played back 9 in level par finishing birdie par birdie, nearly chipped in for eagle on 16 leaving myself with a tap in birdie after being greenside in two. Reached 18 with driver and a big hybrid, eagle putt missed by inches so another tap in birdie.

+5 for 37 points and my first cut of the year (0.2)

Round 2 - matchplay giving away 11 shots

Was 4 down at a stage, managed to get it back to 1 down but the shots made the difference. He parred 6 of the holes where he had shots and had 3 other pars elsewhere. Not bad for a 17 handicap but the only thing keeping him there is course management.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played 36 holes yesterday. Tired today is an understatement.

Round 1 - Open week stableford @ an away course

4 Pars, 5 Bogeys on front 9. playing ok, a silly 3 putt, a miss from 5 feet and a few miss-clubbed approaches.

Played back 9 in level par finishing birdie par birdie, nearly chipped in for eagle on 16 leaving myself with a tap in birdie after being greenside in two. Reached 18 with driver and a big hybrid, eagle putt missed by inches so another tap in birdie.

+5 for 37 points and my first cut of the year (0.2)

Round 2 - matchplay giving away 11 shots

Was 4 down at a stage, managed to get it back to 1 down but the shots made the difference. He parred 6 of the holes where he had shots and had 3 other pars elsewhere. Not bad for a 17 handicap but the only thing keeping him there is course management.

Great shooting in the open competition, well done.

As for the matchplay, 9 pars from a 17 handicap? :eek:
    Hard play against that kinda player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Junior Scratch on Monday. Horrific showing of +23.

Note to self, do not play golf when you are exhausted after the half marathon the day before!

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    Junior Scratch on Monday. Horrific showing of +23.

Note to self, do not play golf when you are exhausted after the half marathon the day before!

I think that should read..."Note to self, do not run half marathons at all" ;)

Advertisement