Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Great shooting in the open competition, well done.

As for the matchplay, 9 pars from a 17 handicap? :eek:
    Hard play against that kinda player.

Yeah, and the annoying thing is I could have been closer if not for three 3 putts.

He drives the ball a mile too, past me the majority of the time. I'm expecting a 42/43 points out of him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played beech park this afternoon. Sneaking in a quick round was the plan.only 2 of us so 3 hours or less usually.

We where behind a group of four who were moving at a decent pace.

Was going ok but caught up with a four ball in front playing a scramble, the group in front left after maybe10 or 11 holes after being getting stuck behind them and we werent aware of them as we hadnt seen them in front

I Started slow and got going after a few holes
    Then i really got goinf parred 9 scratched 10 after a massive brainfart then followed up with 3 pars in a row.

Caught up to the 4 lads in front, and they were so slow it was unbelievable, i watched one lad take SIX practice swings off the tee. Then three on a fairway only to go and change club and repeat the same thing again.

The group behind us just skipped 18 as both groups completed 18 before the group in front teed off.

Totally knocked us off our rhythm. 2 points for the last few holes. Disgusted isnt the word as i had been hitting 30-33 last few weeks and felt like i eas on for a decent enough score

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got out in a comp after work today, definitely feel burnt after it, but had 34 points. I may as well just have a template post for this thread at this stage...first few holes end up a few behind the handicap, battle back a bit, slip back, give and take but ultimately stay in the buffer.

Annoying as I obviously want to get cut, but also nice knowing that I can fight it back and pick up scores. Highlight today was a birdie on 13, par 5 up the hill, unreachable in 2 so the up and down was sweet. 7 pars overall, rest a mix between the ugly and uglier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Was due to play a comp today, me two members and a non GUI guest of mine. They pulled out so no comp.

44Points/14 Over

Solid off the tee, some good irons and good putting let me score. Still over turning some shots but not all like the last day. Just need a day like it in a comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

intermediate scratch cup in tralee. 97 gross nett 83. Not a course to play when your game is so far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just in off the course, 34 points with 17 front and back. Unfortunately had a one pointer and a scratch on each nine so feel I left quite a bit behind me.

Putter was on fire, I hit my irons well and chipped reasonably well. Struggled with the driver though and leaked a lot to the right and lost two balls because of it.

Lesson booked for during the week to work on a few things but hopefully I'll get to 16 before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I shot 83 gross today in the June Medal. I had just gone out to 18.6 and so played off 19 for 64 nett. I birdied 2 holes and had only 3 double bogies.
    Won the Medal by 4 strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I shot 83 gross today in the June Medal. I had just gone out to 18.6 and so played off 19 for 64 nett. I birdied 2 holes and had only 3 double bogies.
    Won the Medal by 4 strokes!

That's amazing golf, well done!

Feel my own game is getting closer to a great score too. Put in a lot of practice this year with no real payback. We had our June medal today as well. Started off very well, apart from a tee shot stuffed into the hay on the second, a par three. But hit a lovely third off the tee and was really unlucky that my putt lipped out for what would have been an excellent bogey. Then birdied the next to steady the ship and topped it off with a class par at our really tough index 1.

Then on the 7th walked off with a double and it was the start of a horrible series of holes. Played 6-11 in +13! Some horrific tee shots were the reason. But settled down after that and played some lovely golf for most of the rest of the round.

Finished +22 off 14. Net 80. Doesn't sound that great, but really played some lovely golf at times.

Yesterday was the one that got away, my first real chance at hitting my handicap at my new course.

Was level par after 6, +4 after 14 after a few small mistakes and chipping letting me down.

Watch read 165 to back of green with a helping wind for my approach to 15. Took a 9 iron, perfect contact, landed centre of green but took a huge bounce and skipped on another 20 yards over back of green into OOB, i was about 1 foot past the white stakes. Easily the toughest break i've had on a golf course ever. Finished double bogey.

Then bogeyed 2 of final 3 holes to finish +8 (79 gross 73 net)

My games in a good place and the other positive is that it is my first time breaking 80 on this course.

1 Birdie
    9 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 Double Bogey

Only 6/18 GIR
    9/14 FIR

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

A day of what could have been on Saturday. Had our PGA Tankard which is Stableford off the forward Yellow Tees.

Had 35 points with
    13 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 double

In range on 3 of the par 5s with irons in my hand and only walked off with pars cost me birdie opportunities.

14/18 GIR so my putting was also terrible with 3x 3putts costing me 3 bogeys.

On the other hand, won my scratch cup matchplay over weekend. Great game and went down to the 18th. Very enjoyable and had the right atmosphere throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Played are June medal yesterday.. What could of been.. I wasn't expecting much as havent being out all week..

Parred the first which I was delighted with as I struggle with it most weeks and was in the trees.. so had to chip side ways.

2nd hole short par 4, pulled my drive into the rough 180 yds left. said I hit 7, play it short as there's OOB all round the green, hit a cracker lands on green high bounce and OOB! dropped to 8i, hit green again and oob! then 9I and land it in green side bunker! 9i 180yds, ball is going a mile!! lost the head as its a real birdie hole and after parring the first ended with a 9!

Then on the 4th index 18 par 5, pulled my drive into the trees couldn't find it so had to go back the tee! Starting to lose my **** now :D reloaded hit it in the trees again chipped out, smashed my 3 wood to right of green but in the rough.. got up and couldnt find it! so took myself out of the competition. started to steady the ship after a few holes. Really struggling a bit with my driver just as I get to grips with my chipping and after been smashing it all winter!

Said to myself on the back 9 right I want a good back 9, I not going in after a really ****ty round and had 22 pts! no scratches so least thats something. Put a bit of a smile on it. My 2 playing partners fell a part on the back 9 both good golfers and none of us finished in the competition with lost balls etc Just 1 of them days..

Gas thing is I have being struggling on the back 9 recently ruining good cards especially 16 & 17 typical..

Feel my game is just around the corner, nailing my Irons, putting is good, chipping is much improved just need to sort my woods out, which I was creaming only a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yesterday was the one that got away, my first real chance at hitting my handicap at my new course.

Was level par after 6, +4 after 14 after a few small mistakes and chipping letting me down.

Watch read 165 to back of green with a helping wind for my approach to 15. Took a 9 iron, perfect contact, landed centre of green but took a huge bounce and skipped on another 20 yards over back of green into OOB, i was about 1 foot past the white stakes. Easily the toughest break i've had on a golf course ever. Finished double bogey.

Then bogeyed 2 of final 3 holes to finish +8 (79 gross 73 net)

My games in a good place and the other positive is that it is my first time breaking 80 on this course.

1 Birdie
    9 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 Double Bogey

Only 6/18 GIR
    9/14 FIR
    frink wrote: »
    A day of what could have been on Saturday. Had our PGA Tankard which is Stableford off the forward Yellow Tees.

Had 35 points with
    13 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 double

In range on 3 of the par 5s with irons in my hand and only walked off with pars cost me birdie opportunities.

14/18 GIR so my putting was also terrible with 3x 3putts costing me 3 bogeys.

On the other hand, won my scratch cup matchplay over weekend. Great game and went down to the 18th. Very enjoyable and had the right atmosphere throughout.
    benny79 wrote: »
    Played are June medal yesterday.. What could of been.. I wasn't expecting much as havent being out all week..

Parred the first which I was delighted with as I struggle with it most weeks and was in the trees.. so had to chip side ways.

2nd hole short par 4, pulled my drive into the rough 180 yds left. said I hit 7, play it short as there's OOB all round the green, hit a cracker lands on green high bounce and OOB! dropped to 8i, hit green again and oob! then 9I and land it in green side bunker! 9i 180yds, ball is going a mile!! lost the head as its a real birdie hole and after parring the first ended with a 9!

Then on the 4th index 18 par 5, pulled my drive into the trees couldn't find it so had to go back the tee! Starting to lose my **** now :D reloaded hit it in the trees again chipped out, smashed my 3 wood to right of green but in the rough.. got up and couldnt find it! so took myself out of the competition. started to steady the ship after a few holes. Really struggling a bit with my driver just as I get to grips with my chipping and after been smashing it all winter!

Said to myself on the back 9 right I want a good back 9, I not going in after a really ****ty round and had 22 pts! no scratches so least thats something. Put a bit of a smile on it. My 2 playing partners fell a part on the back 9 both good golfers and none of us finished in the competition with lost balls etc Just 1 of them days..

Gas thing is I have being struggling on the back 9 recently ruining good cards especially 16 & 17 typical..

Feel my game is just around the corner, nailing my Irons, putting is good, chipping is much improved just need to sort my woods out, which I was creaming only a few months ago!

Something of a trend here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Played Rubbish...Think I need a new putter or grip ... was something like 17 over after 13 (and am a single H/C )

Had no feeling at all, club in hands and I just felt nothing

May take up darts

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Despite coming out with a 99 off 21 I was actually very happy with Captains Qualifier at the weekend.

Been scoring horrifically recently with trying to solve a terrible slice and that's my first sub 100 of the year I think anyway.

I scored 17 points on the front 9 and then 4 putted on Par 5 10th after being on the green in three, and then 3 putted the Par 3 11th to end with a 4. Two other holes were to blame for the high score with me not taking my lumps after going badly left when going for longest drive and then losing a ball OOB on the last to finish with an 8.

I am actually hitting the ball really well at times and just changed my swing on Friday with great results thanks to the "fix my slice" thread here. Either straight, and longer than I've ever hit it, or it goes crazy left. Once I get the hang of it I hope I can make my goal of breaking 90 this year. Lofty goals, I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

33 points today. Read my previous posts in this thread and you'll know I got on tbh. Consistency reigns supreme

30 points on saturday. +12.

An awful shank on a par 3, 3 putt on SI 1, few pulled drives and a few duffed chips.

Positive was I had 10 pars.

Fairly tired after playing 3.5 rounds in 3 days. Through to the next round of our doubles matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

86, +14 for Killarney Intermediate on Saturday, Wind made it tough but course was in top class condition with the greens running fast.

Turned +5 but a couple of double bogeys put paid to my chances. Highlight was a lovely draw off the tee on 18 which setup a good par in front of the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Medal yesterday. Had a chance but blew up on 13th and 14th.

87 off 14 = 73

1 birdie
    7 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double
    1 treble
    1 quad

The quad was as a result of a skulled approach into water followed by head off moment for next hole and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

30 pts of 14 yesterday.

despite a scratch on the index 1 first, i had 20 points after 9! wind really picked up on the back 9 and it told, had 5 scratches with 4 pars on the back, its a great game........

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

29 pts off 15 yesterday in Fota (Deerpark course). Course was in great condition unlike my golf. 4 scratches and a 4 putt thrown in too. Still nice to get out and stretch the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played on Wednesday last in the open day in Athlone. Played alright and only for a few missed short putts, i might have avoided the old 0.1

Highlight of the round was getting out first in the morning with another low handicapper and the 2 of us got around Athlone in about 2 hours 50 minutes. Fastest I have ever gotten around Athlone

Lowlight was getting around in 2 hours 50 minutes. I dont think fast play really suits me and far too often it was my shot to hit when I wasn't necessarily ready to hit and thus I felt rushed over my shots. For some people it suits them to get around the course in record time and for some it doesn't and as much criticism as I'm sure this will get me, I am much happier being a slower player ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Rikand wrote: »
    Played on Wednesday last in the open day in Athlone. Played alright and only for a few missed short putts, i might have avoided the old 0.1

Highlight of the round was getting out first in the morning with another low handicapper and the 2 of us got around Athlone in about 2 hours 50 minutes. Fastest I have ever gotten around Athlone

Lowlight was getting around in 2 hours 50 minutes. I dont think fast play really suits me and far too often it was my shot to hit when I wasn't necessarily ready to hit and thus I felt rushed over my shots. For some people it suits them to get around the course in record time and for some it doesn't and as much criticism as I'm sure this will get me, I am much happier being a slower player ;)

There's a fine balance to it. Too quick and I feel rushed, waiting on the tee box and I lose focus ( I lose something anyhow)

I play worse if I play to fast and then compound it by quickly hitting recovery shots etc. I've been trying to slow down my shot prep and really think about it lately while still getting to my ball quickly.

Went round my course in a two ball in just over 3 hours this way probably due to less wild shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    There's a fine balance to it. Too quick and I feel rushed, waiting on the tee box and I lose focus ( I lose something anyhow)

I play worse if I play to fast and then compound it by quickly hitting recovery shots etc. I've been trying to slow down my shot prep and really think about it lately while still getting to my ball quickly.

Went round my course in a two ball in just over 3 hours this way probably due to less wild shots.

I have to agree that too fast will often cost me shots. Whether it is from taking the wrong option, lack of composure etc. or indeed being out of breath playing shots (play on a quite hilly course).

There is a happy medium though. In our captains prize recently, 4 hours 35 mins for 3ball stableford, i found i had quite a lot of time standing over shots be it from the tee or on a particular hole. Not exactly optimum conditions for performance as i just wanted to get off the course after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Nett 74 (off 15) in presidents prize on headfort old at the weekend. Recent lesson is bedding in and struck irons and hybrids nicely for the most part, also putting was improved from recent outings (32 putts overall although that included a couple of 3 putts). But I skied/popped up 8 of the 13 drivers that I hit and so was very much scrambling for most of the round - hitting hybrids and 3 woods to try and get back into position after only going 100-150 yds off the tee. Considering how badly I drove the ball I was happy to finish in the buffer and avoid a 0.1, but need to figure out a fix before my next round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

BOB81 wrote: »
    Nett 74 (off 15) in presidents prize on headfort old at the weekend. Recent lesson is bedding in and struck irons and hybrids nicely for the most part, also putting was improved from recent outings (32 putts overall although that included a couple of 3 putts). But I skied/popped up 8 of the 13 drivers that I hit and so was very much scrambling for most of the round - hitting hybrids and 3 woods to try and get back into position after only going 100-150 yds off the tee. Considering how badly I drove the ball I was happy to finish in the buffer and avoid a 0.1, but need to figure out a fix before my next round!

Sounds like whatever fixes you've put in on the iron-swing have migrated into the driver-swing

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Sounds like whatever fixes you've put in on the iron-swing have migrated into the driver-swing

Could well be right, first time this has happened on a consistent basis for an entire round... a combination of coming into the ball too steep/ball position issues perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

20 points off 16 in 9-hole comp yesterday.
    Included 1 birdie and 1 scratch.
    Another 0.6 cut to 15.0 :D

20 points off 16 in 9-hole comp yesterday.
    Included 1 birdie and 1 scratch.
    Another 0.6 cut to 15.0 :D

Cutting for a 9 hole comp? didn't know this was a thing. We have a 9 holes every thursday and sometimes there's a few 22s and 23s coming in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cutting for a 9 hole comp? didn't know this was a thing. We have a 9 holes every thursday and sometimes there's a few 22s and 23s coming in.
    Lots of clubs are introducing counting 9 hole comps. My place have them every Wednesday and it's great as I get to play most weeks as I don't have the time for 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yeah the 9 holes are reindexed and your handicap is also different. Wasn't a great success at our place and the numbers dropped as the season went on.

Advertisement