Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Utter utter utter sh1te.
    only could play 11 holes.
    6 points off 14 and no thats not a typo .
    8 scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Net 73 in scratch competition on Saturday. I was all over the place and did no good for the confidence.

Either I hit the ball straight or a mile left, going two fairways over in one instance.

Went back to my usual strategy of changing my swing a dozen times a round but managed to get a few pars and even one birdie. Missed two par putts from inside 2 feet which really got in my head too. After 40 points and third place last week I am back to square one on my swing.

I know one over isn't bad but the bad swings were terrible even though I managed to scramble back from most of them. Lesson booked for Thursday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Casual with the brothers in Moyvalley

17F/21B 38Pts

5 pars with 4 in a row on the back 9

Short game solid, just couldn’t get a good read of the greens and had a lot of par putts slip past on the front 9.
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Points were wrong, computer was down so I went I didn't even check them.

40 pts and second place. Should be off exactly 20 now with a css of 38

Jeasuz that's some scoring, pity they weren't both counting rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Played twice at the weekend. Captain's Prize on Saturday, worst game of the year so far. I went around without losing a ball but managed to make more scratches in the one round than I did for the rest of the summer so far. Got myself into trouble too often and putting was awful. I was resigned to 0.1 back after 5 holes!

33 points yesterday so an improvement, 13 points out and 20 back. One scratch over all caused by trying to be too delicate from a bunker and ended up thinning it over the green. Pleased to come back +2 for the last 11 holes. My putting has been very poor recently which needs to be sorted out.

Course playing very short at the moment and the rough is nearly being burnt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Jeasuz that's some scoring, pity they weren't both counting rounds

Yeah but I’ll take it haha

Scoring better but feeling like I’m not hitting the ball any better just not having any blow up holes. All the scratches are only triples so not miles off a score

• Advertisement

Played Druids Glen today, something I've wanted to do since I started playing golf.

So I left the house at 11.30am to get there early for the 1.40pm tee time and 6 capri suns,2 packets of Tayto,5golf balls, just over 5 hours on the course and 31 points later I arrived home at 8pm.

The golf first.

Played alright, the course is much tighter and longer than what I'm used to so glad to say I picked up a handful of pars. Good enough off the tee and very good around the greens with a wedge. Irons were good enough for the day aswell. Putting was solid but that didn't help ( I'll get to that)

Playing partners were good company but the Matsuyama pre shot routines dragged the day on.

Honestly can't remember the first scratch, it was on the front 9 is all I know.
    The second was on 16 from a fairway bunker of all places. Pulled one only to follow it with the other and just couldn't find them in time, I know I probably walked past them and just didn't see them as they weren't far off line.

The last came on 17 and I put it down to the difficulty of the hole and the fatigue. Put two in the water, first was a cold top and the second I pulled off target.

First lost ball was on the 13th. Hit a great drive but didn't want to take it on as I didn't know how much I had to play with so layed up to the water. Mid swing a ball landed no more than 30ft behind me and hit my only heavy shot of the day. I should have still got it across but it will stick with me :(

As a side note, they had no course planners available. On a course with so many blind shots I thought this silly oversight.

The course itself was a bit of a let down. Maybe because I hyped it up myself but I found it to be rough around the edges. Railings in bits in places,very little sand in most bunkers and terrible greens.

I spent the day repairing pitch marks and still had the ball leave the putting surface ( one for F%$king birdie) twice. They were really inconsistent going from fast to slow from one hole to the next and no where near true. Quite slow in general aswell. I played Moyvalley yesterday and greens were super.

But hey, I played it and glad I got it off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

prawnsambo wrote: »
    What's your SSS?

Got the results
    8th Place ( 10th on countback) with 70 entrants.

CSS of 32 so two shots better would have been the cut. Happy almost beat the new handicap all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

33 points in captains qualifier (off 14) in headfort new. Just scraped through to qualify for captains day this weekend (top 60 qualified). Scratched 3 of the first 5 holes so happy with my score to be honest, and only had 23pts standing on 15th tee so finished well to make it through. Think its my first time even making the buffer in a comp. on the new course, have not scored well there previously. Thankfully the final round is played on the old!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

36 points today, finally broke away from the monotony of 33/34 points. Couldn't have done it easy though.

12 points front 9, not much going right (tbh it was 3 poor holes, others were grand).

24 on back 9, a 37 gross strokes, so fairly nuts stuff altogether. Started with a birdie on 10, then bogeys on 12 and 17. Game all round on back 9 was perfect, bar may be one tee shot (only use irons anyway).

So...here's the false hope for next week anyway.

• Advertisement

38 points with a CSS of 38
    21F/17B

1 Birdie
    4 Pars
    4 Doubles
    8 Bogeys
    1 Scratch on the 1st

Didn't have a real strength today ( usually chipping or irons) so very happy with the result. Got away with two bad drives and some awful chips.

I'll be getting the next lesson soon, I feel like I have got to a point where I need to get the swing looked at again to make sure I'm still doing what I need to be doing and maybe a slight change now that it's better bedded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

& i'm back to rubbish :( played the junior scratch cup in Mallow yesterday (had signed up for intermediate but handicap dropped from 11 to 9.6 after last weekend). Course was in great nic.

Birdies: 0
    Pars: 5
    Bogeys: 8
    Doubles: 5

GIR: 2

Out: 47 (+10) In: 43 (+8)

Pros: drove the ball well most of the round & had a run of 4 pars (9-12) & thought I turned it around... how wrong I was :)

Cons: had so many shanks: 1st, 4th, 7th, 16th(2) & 17th(2)… that's mental!!! I know it's a small thing & my head isn't helping it... just gotta get it out of my game

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

67 gross on the home track.

7 birdies
    2 bogies
    9 pars

26 putts

14 greens

Out 36
    In 31

Back enjoying the game.

Started following potters putters on instagram and the tips are very good. Putting was exceptional, held 5 puts outside 10 feet, which was a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

27pts. All of it was rubbish just wasn’t in the right head space for it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

31 points off the back tees in The Island today, playing off 14.

I'm aware of my limitations as a golfer but my short game is a complete disgrace. Got so frustrated at various points.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Monthly Medal at the weekend and had one of my best ever scores.

Started off with a tap in birdie at the index 2, perfect start. Followed up with two pars and a bogey to be level through 4.
    Par 5 5th, hit a good drive away to leave myself 220 to the front, slightly downhill. Hit a big high 4iron which pitched perfectly to roll up to a foot for a tap in eagle!

6th tee, tried to take the tiger line straight into the trees lost ball. Finished with a 7, followed this up with 2 more bogeys to finished at +3 for 9.

7 pars a bogey and a birdie to go around the back level to finish +3 gross, 75 with a 69 Net. Thought I'd be in with a shout of winning but a great score of 66 Net won comfortably. My best score in the last 2-3 years so nothing but positives to take with a nice 0.6 cut to get my comfortably back in the 5 bracket.

1 eagle
    2 birdies
    10 pars
    4 bogeys
    1 triple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Missed getting a slot in the Pro-am in my place on Sunday, so booked in to the end of the open week in Craddockstown. Hadn't ever played before, but had heard good things, so figured it was worth a try.

Had one of those bizarre extreme up & down rounds.

Course opens with a nice dogleg par 5. I hit an ok drive, found fairway, was left with about 190 to the green if I went across the corner, but carry all the way over water. Decided I'd be sensible & knocked an 8-iron up to a safe spot. Left a flick of a wedge in, which I knocked to about 6 inches. Tap in birdie & thought "Here we go, 4-point start, this place is handy :D"

Followed it up with a handy par on the next hole, a short par 3 that cuts back across the same water that covers the first green.

Bogeyed the 3rd, which was grand, as I'd hit a poor drive.

It all went swiftly downhill from there. 4th is their index one. I hit a sensible hybrid off the tee & found a decent spot. Hitting driver/3w brings the water into play, so it was the right lay-up club. Left me with 200 yards to the pin. bit uphill & into a fair breeze, so took the same hybrid. Caught it perfect & hit it through the green & into trees at the back. Guys I was playing with thought I'd find it easily enough, so said was no need for a provo. Unfortunately, the ball never showed up, so an annoying scratch.

More poor driving ensued from that point forwards, so ended up hitting a lot of 3w & hybrids off the tee.

Got as far as the par 5 8th. Similar to the first, I played sensible golf rather than go for the green in 2, as there is a drain short of the green. hit it comfortably in 3 & raked in about a 30ft putt for another par 5 birdie.

The rest of the round was generally a blur of bad golf, except the par 5s, on the back 9 I parred the 14th & then bogeyed the last, missing a short downhill par putt.

So, I scored, 13 points on the 4 par 5s, but 24 points in total :o so 11 points for the other 14 holes

Not sure what was going on to be honest.

Putted fairly well, but drove poorly & found a lot of bunkers.

The course was quite nice. They're going through a 5 year plan to change the grass on their greens, and about half way through. As a result, they don't look great, as they're a bit patchy in places, but they ran true & relatively quickly, so can't complain about their condition really.

A 0.1 back, but a nice day out with 2 members, one of whom shot a 1-over par round playing off 6, so at least one of us played some good golf the whole way round!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Pretty good weekends golf for me.

Friday Society Captains day in St Margarets
    37 points off 10 (society handicap)
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    9 bogeys

Sunday Captains qualifier
    36 points off 13 (GUI)
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double
    2 scratches

Both scratches were very poor tee shots, but one could have been reduced to a double at worst with better course management. I only had 14 points after 9 and had to play out of my skin to get 22 on the back. Probably the best I've ever played on the back 9.

Driving was particularly poor, but putting made up for it. Work to do

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

29 Points off whites. I had 9 three putts!! Absolute disaster.

My drives, when bad, have been long, straight, and so far left I went two fairways over on one hole. I am not moving my hips to the left enough apparently.

Even with that, I was scrambling a lot of GIRs but couldn't get any confidence putting. I missed 2-3 from within two feet.

My group got an opening to start the round early so no practice on the putting green at all might be to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Been on a bad run.

Think my year has been 12 0.1s and one 0.2 cut. Up to 6.4 now.

Struggling off the tee, hooking my 3 wood really bad but off the fairway i've no issue.

Last few rounds

25 points at concra wood
    21 points at royal county down
    30 points at home course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Played 9 holes in +4 last night off blues.

2 birdies, 2 pars, 4 bogies & 1 double which I was very unlucky with! all great shots just bad bounces, last 1 hit bank and kicked into hazard! :mad: but dropped to were I was stitched the green and sank a 30 footer for the 7.. (par 5)

Made slight changes to set up in swing & putting which really helped. Plus have been reading Bob Rotella The unstoppable golfer again and had good swing thoughts. Really taught I could birdie most hole's..

I was striking the ball beautifully in total control of my game all the way around.. Really should of been a level par 9! hit flag on 3 with a small chip & ball dropped beside cup instead of in it! lipped 8 & 9 for birdies too, just millimetres away on both!

Hopefully I can keep this up & get a cut as have gotten way to many 0.1's this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played woodenbridge sunday morning

Double bogey first 3 holes bogeyed 4 and 5 double 6 and 7. Really struggled to get into any rhythm and a couple of just bad shots my irons early were bad or average. Very poor around the greens as well. Done well to not scratch any of the first seven if im honest

Parred 8-11 without ever feeling like i was playing well or threatening a birdie topped a couple of shots i got away with thanks to the firm ground and the fact i got them going straight followed those with up with a bogey and first scratch of the day which in honesty was a long time coming.

Birdied index 18 short par 4, drove to edge of green chipped on and tapped in. Double bogey, bogey, bogey, miserable scratch to finish up.

15 front 9 17 back 9

Second week ive been surprised with points as expecting less and havent felt like i played well. More like i was scrambling and saving a point or two, then a few pars on a little run.

Feel like i have a really good score in me but just not able to pull it together at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

davegilly wrote: »
    29 points today off 18, highest ever score :)
    pakman wrote: »
    29 Points off whites. I had 9 three putts!! Absolute disaster.

This made me laugh, one man's wealth is another man's poverty :D

First time playing Nuremore today in a casual.

34pts
    Played of the back's, not sure if it's the normal tee's or not. The yellows looked a bit forward.

4 Pars
    2 Scratches
    Handful of doubles and alot of bogies.
    Lipped out for Birdie on 16 so first game in a while without one.

Scratches were from bad drives. Hit two bad ones on the 18th both in the same direction while the otherside was safe so I was annoyed with that. I can force a shape now so there was no excuse.

Course was nice,greens were in good condition. Layout is nice. Only gripe was most of the tee boxes were very uneven. Again not sure if the yellows would be better if they are the main ones.

31pts yday absolute bipolar golf for me in recent weeks. Like Dustin Johnson on one hole and Dustin the turkey on the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Played our monthly medal last sunday in Beaverstown and had my best medal performance for a Net 76. Most annoying part was the 2 lost drives on the 4th hole and a couple of poor shots which got me a 12 on the hole. Normally a hole where id be guaranteed a bogey at worst which would have put me on Net 69 and got 2nd place. Still happy though that i seem to be shaking my mental fear of playing strokes.

HAd 3rd round of club fourball matchplay last night. 4up after 7, all square after 13 (awful playing at the start of the back 9). We pulled it together to get to Dormie 2, and then i blew putts on the 17th and 18th to let them back in it. Ended up winning it on the 22nd hole at almost 10pm. Delighted to make it to the QF and play is really starting to look up at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

9 hole sweep tonight. Started with 2 bogeys .
    5 straight pars then birdie on SI 1. 
    Had a 10 foot putt on the last for level par which just missed. Tap in for 20 points.

40pts for +7 tonight in club matchplay. Should have been good enough but opponent had 45pts for +4!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

34 points...again. Same old same old, just bit more consistent between the 9s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    34 points...again. Same old same old, just bit more consistent between the 9s.

how's the course holding up? I played the weekend before last, I loved the contrast of the brown fairways to the greens. the greens were playing lovely... out in the morning... here's hoping for a decent round :)

Advertisement