Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yeah the 9 holes are reindexed and your handicap is also different. Wasn't a great success at our place and the numbers dropped as the season went on.
    That's a way to confuse people? Ours is just the front 9 and no change to indexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yeah the 9 holes are reindexed and your handicap is also different. Wasn't a great success at our place and the numbers dropped as the season went on.

I think club has to get it approved by GUI. Formula seems to be half your handicap+1. For an 18 handicap, this meant half of 19 (9.5) which gave them 10 shots for the 9 holes. For those under 18, it was exactly half your normal 18-hole shots.
    https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/2016%209%20Hole%20Qualifying%20Competitions%20-%20Guidelines.pdf

In St Margaret's where I play, it seems to be a great success. Getting 50-60 out every Wednesday evening. Has boosted the bar and restaurant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I think club has to get it approved by GUI. Formula seems to be half your handicap+1. For an 18 handicap, this meant half of 19 (9.5) which gave them 10 shots for the 9 holes. For those under 18, it was exactly half your normal 18-hole shots.
    https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/2016%209%20Hole%20Qualifying%20Competitions%20-%20Guidelines.pdf

In St Margaret's where I play, it seems to be a great success. Getting 50-60 out every Wednesday evening. Has boosted the bar and restaurant too.

At our place they started the 9 holes this year and seems like a success.

They have printed dedicated 9 hole cards for it with the indices adjusted accordingly.

The handicaps work on half your exact handicap so 2 players off 11 could have different playing hcaps - 10.5 would have 5 shots and a player with 11.4 would have 6 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Keano wrote: »
    Lots of clubs are introducing counting 9 hole comps. My place have them every Wednesday and it's great as I get to play most weeks as I don't have the time for 18.

Is there also 0.1s back? Personally i agree with the cutting.

We had a 6 handicapper shoot the lights out a few weeks back hitting 2 under for 23 points off the green tees. Weekend comps are whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is there also 0.1s back? Personally i agree with the cutting.

We had a 6 handicapper shoot the lights out a few weeks back hitting 2 under for 23 points off the green tees. Weekend comps are whites.

Yes. CSS is set at 18 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Keano wrote: »
    That's a way to confuse people? Ours is just the front 9 and no change to indexes.

It mustn't be qualifying then. The 9 hole is its own course with its own indexes from 1 to 9 and you'll have a 9 hole course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

41 Points 22F/19B
    6 Pars
    1 Birdie
    5 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    1 Scratch

Some bad decisions and bad luck cost me a really good score.

Hit a good drive on 14 Par 5 leaving 240 uphill to the flag. Got caught with some indecision and picked the wrong club. Wasn't long enough for the green or short enough to miss the trouble. Normally a bit further back on the drive and didn't adjust.Took two shots more to get on the green.

Hit a decent drive on 17. Ball moved on the second shot ( not yards but enough) and hit it off the grooves and the golf course.Ball went around the hole and back at me for the point.

Played some solid golf with some crap. My bad shots were OK but still difficult to get out of trouble and advance it along, my recovery was poor although they weren't easy shots.

Much better off the tee and 100yds in, all down to the new action from the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    41 Points 22F/19B
    6 Pars
    1 Birdie
    5 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    1 Scratch

Some bad decisions and bad luck cost me a really good score.

There should be a ban on anyone stating 41 points isn't a really good score :D

I wish I was hitting those mediocre rounds of yours Dan!!!

There should be a ban on anyone stating 41 points isn't a really good score :D

I wish I was hitting those mediocre rounds of yours Dan!!!
    Nah it was a good round but 6 pars and a birdie should see better scores to be fair. With the way the CSS has been I won't get cut all that much either which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

For an 18 handicap, this meant half of 19 (9.5) which gave them 10 shots for the 9 holes. For those under 18, it was exactly half your normal 18-hole shots.
    https://www.golfnet.ie/Documents/2016%209%20Hole%20Qualifying%20Competitions%20-%20Guidelines.pdf[/url

Why do high handicappers get extra shots while the low men suffer?
    It should be half your exact handicap, rounded to the nearest shot.
    More than likely for a 9 hole the course will be short and set up easy enough anyhow.
    Surely that'll keep the auld codgers happy without having to give them extra shots too?

• Advertisement

Well 41 points got me 4th, lost on the back 9 to 3 other 41’s. Normally higher would win so I wasn’t even expecting to get as close.

What got me was the CSS of 39. Bet my HC by 5 shots in 5m/s wind and got cut .8.

I’ll just have to keep posting scores and hope for an E.S.R

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Well 41 points got me 4th, lost on the back 9 to 3 other 41’s. Normally higher would win so I wasn’t even expecting to get as close.

What got me was the CSS of 39. Bet my HC by 5 shots in 5m/s wind and got cut .8.

I’ll just have to keep posting scores and hope for an E.S.R

We've the same story with a CSS of 39. A scratch golfer shot level par and got .1 back the other day!

slingerz wrote: »
    We've the same story with a CSS of 39. A scratch golfer shot level par and got .1 back the other day!

It’s mental, good golf doesn’t get rewarded there. I played in better conditions a few weeks ago and css was 37.

I wonder if the new system will stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Even though your Par is 71 your SSS is 68, from the scores in your latest comp (CSS 68) it looks a true reflection of the courses difficulty saying as 21 of 88 players had 36 points or better:rolleyes:.

My home course is also Par 71 however the SSS is 71 in our open day yesterday only one person broke 36 points and the CSS was 73. Had 34 points myself to just miss out on a cut and 2nd place :(

kieran. wrote: »
    Even though your Par is 71 your SSS is 68, from the scores in your latest comp (CSS 68) it looks a true reflection of the courses difficulty saying as 21 of 88 players had 36 points or better:rolleyes:.

My home course is also Par 71 however the SSS is 71 in our open day yesterday only one person broke 36 points and the CSS was 73. Had 34 points myself to just miss out on a cut and 2nd place :(

We are par 71, CSS 68 and only 2 players were better than 68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

slingerz wrote: »
    We are par 71, CSS 68 and only 2 players were better than 68

Two people breaking the true par is about right and would be typicial of our place. How many we're 71 or better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Another 33 points yesterday. Another terrible start that had to drag back, managed to do it though.

Did hit milestones though, finally have parred each hole on the course, my bogey hole (or I should say double bogey hole) finally got games due to a lack of crap shots on it.

Also entered the 2s for once, so 3 chances to get one...got two. Delighted! One of them even clipped the hole for hole in one, half gutted I was

Horrific 23 points. Actually hit some good shots and a birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

27 points. 18 turning but just gave up.
    From 7 to 12 I just struggle, it's been this way for months.

Was playing very average apart from two pars on the front 9 but called it a day there.

Nearly 2.5hrs for 9 holes. Group in front lost two holes on the group ahead of them and hadn't all tee'd off the 10th as we were walking of the 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

I haven't played too many good rounds since qualifying came in this year but I hit the buffer zone twice this weekend which is encouraging.
    30 points yesterday (32 CSS) and matched the CSS of 34 points today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

paulos53 wrote: »
    I haven't played too many good rounds since qualifying came in this year but I hit the buffer zone twice this weekend which is encouraging.
    30 points yesterday (32 CSS) and matched the CSS of 34 points today

Where is that, as that’s very low CSS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

Castlemartyr.
    The SSS is 35 points off the back tees but the rough is exceptionally thick right now. If the wind blows any weekend there will be carnage :)

kieran. wrote: »
    Two people breaking the true par is about right and would be typicial of our place. How many we're 71 or better ?

the issue we have is there might be only 1 Cat 1 golfer playing in a comp and a sprinkling of Cat 2 and if he hits the buffer then that category weighting has pushed the CSS upwards.

There would have been approx 25 @ 71 or better

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Strokeplay 81 Gross 75 Net

2 Birdies
    8 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

Positives were 6 pars in a row on front 9.

Negatives - 4 terrible hooked tee shots which meant i had no shot to the green, +7 for these holes alone. My other double was due to a shank on 3rd shot into par 5.

finished birdie double double birdie double.

Was +4 with 4 to play!

Driver is really letting me down, think i might stay away from trying to draw the golf ball off the tee and stick to a controlled fade with a loss of distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnk16

32 pts at the weekend. Worked hard all winter and the game is beginning to come together now following a brutal start to the year! How did we ever survive without the extra 30 yards of roll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

38 Pts in the club's open day.. I played well thought I would of ended up with more points to be honest, hit good drives, good chips and was very solid putting. Only 1 scratch which was on 17 when I shanked an 5I of the tee!! :mad:

Got a bit unlucky on 15 too pulled drive into rough and couldnt find it. So had to go back to tee box but managed to get a 6 and a point. I had a good few pars and a birdie which was nice nearly drove the green on 12 small chip and 8ft putt. Think I was trying to protect a good score on the back 9 and played with my head a bit.. But first time to break 90 this year hopefully the first of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in club classic at the weekend. Probably played my best golf of the year and shot around 35 points on my own card. Sadly as a team we did no good. Got off to a bad start but had a great run from 4th to 11th with a load of birdies and 6 pointers but the wheels came off from 12 onwards and we were very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I was probably still drunk when I teed off on Sunday morning.

32pts off 13

5 pars
    11 bogeys
    1 double
    1 scratch

Just missed out on buffer zone, so 0.1 back unfortunately too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

33 points for what I think is 5 weeks in a row!

Finally cracked the front 9 with a good score (40 strokes)....that was 21 points. Hit some genuinely unreal shots, favourite being the piercing 8 iron from a divot in the rough to about 12 feet. But somewhere between the 9th green and 10th tee, any small bit of luck I had just went. Tbh was still in position on 15, but into bunker where somebody didn't rake, straight into deep footprint.

Bloody golf!

Advertisement