Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

how's the course holding up? I played the weekend before last, I loved the contrast of the brown fairways to the greens. the greens were playing lovely... out in the morning... here's hoping for a decent round :)

Yeah for the most part it's more brown, greens were very good, fast but soft too. Just have to play it smart, the run is adding big yards.

Tempted to go back out in the morning. Assume I can play to get cut, but not win the comp, do you know? Forgot to call earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

38 points in The Island today playing off 14, with a scratch on the first and a scratch on the last, both cases I missed the fairway by not that much but the ball never showed up.

The 16 holes in between were the best I've played in years so really happy with that. Course was fairly benign though with no wind and the rough thinned out a lot by the weather. Had three three-putts on the front 9 as well which were totally unnecessary. Lots to be positive about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

39 points off 16 in the presidents prize. A very patchy 16 points on the front 9 and 23 on the back. Much more consistent with my ball striking from 10 onwards. The beer and burger on the 9th green must have made the difference. Played index 1-4 for 3 under which I was delighted with. Expecting to be cut 0.9 which will be bring me below a shot below my handicap target for the summer.

3 birdies
    7 pars
    4 bogeys
    3 doubles & 1 scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah for the most part it's more brown, greens were very good, fast but soft too. Just have to play it smart, the run is adding big yards.

Tempted to go back out in the morning. Assume I can play to get cut, but not win the comp, do you know? Forgot to call earlier

you can play the weekend comp again im sure. it's usually only once for the monthly medal & the big'uns.

you can play the weekend comp again im sure. it's usually only once for the monthly medal & the big'uns.

Yeah just dunno if can win it on second round, not that I'd be threatening! Left it off anyway, too tired to trek in that heat

• Advertisement

Yeah just dunno if can win it on second round, not that I'd be threatening! Left it off anyway, too tired to trek in that heat

I forgot to ask in the shop, I think you might be right.

was feck'n roasting out there today, had a nice relaxing round... never held up by the lads in front & never delayed the lads behind... the perfect scenario :)

Weekend stableford @ home course (Cobh): 38points off 10 (9.7 exact) might sneak into single digit depending on CSS

Birdies: 4
    Pars: 5
    Bogeys: 6
    Doubles: 2
    Scratch: 1

GIR: 11

Out: 15 pts In: 23pts

Pros: - drove the ball very well! only 1 poor drive all day... pulled a little on the 3rd & it kicked oob/lost.
    - drove par 4 9th :)
    - had 3 eagle putts in the round.
    - Mid irons were solid aswell, took irons off a few tees where I could find trouble... my bogey/worst hole usually (par 4 16th) took 7iron & 7 iron for a birdie
    - started slow & turned it around really well (23points on the back 9, 29points 8-18)

Cons: - after parring the 1st I went, scratch, double, bogey, bogey, double, bogey... 7 holes... 9 points
    - shanked out of bunker on 2nd (thankfully only 1 in this round in comparison to 7 last week) *should put in pros not cons :)
    - found the long stuff twice & tried to be too fancy instead of just chipping out
    - had about 70yards to middle of 7th with 2nd shot... bladed it out the back
    - Four 3 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Could only get out Sunday so played the Open Fourball off the backs.

Played off 18(20) with a guy playing off 23(25)

42 Points together with 1 scratch.

Kept my score so I could work off current HC of 20
    42 Pts
    7 Pars
    2 Scratches
    Played very solid apart from the two scratches. Fairways not running as much as they had so played a bit longer.

Hit some good irons, some very good chips and holed a few good putts.

Scratch on the first par3 was just pure crap. Top,thin and then a duff.

Second scratch and only team one.
    148yds to the pin over water. Flag about 10 on.
    I usually take one more club and just get it on because if you go left with the same yardage you're in the water.

Partner hit his shot right, called it safe so I went for the flag with the 8i. Hit it perfect just left side, caught the edge of the green and ripped back into the water. Got up to the green and couldn't find the other ball. Gutted

Few more singles and I should drop another shot or two this year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

July medal and a blown chance

88 total off 13 so 75

10 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    1 quad
    1 TEN

Started with five pars and was feeling pretty good, bad double followed by a par and a bogey brought me to the 9th tee at three over par. I pulled my tee shot a little hitting a tree well down the fairway. Took me three more attempts to get a ball in play. Got path with the fourth ball (10) so that was nice. Head was off for the back 9 after that, but for it together enough to finish with four pars on last four holes.

If I can cut out the stupid mistakes I think I can bank a good score and get a nice cut as a reward for all the lessons and practice this year.

July medal and a blown chance

88 net off 13 so 75 gross

10 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    1 quad
    1 TEN

Started with five pars and was feeling pretty good, bad double followed by a par and a bogey brought me to the 9th tee at three over par. I pulled my tee shot a little hitting a tree well down the fairway. Took me three more attempts to get a ball in play. Got path with the fourth ball (10) so that was nice. Head was off for the back 9 after that, but for it together enough to finish with four pars on last four holes.

If I can't cut out the stupid mistakes I think I can bank a good score and get a nice cut as a reward for all the lessons and practice this year.

With that handicap you should turn pro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

+6 in JSC today off 11 putted very well should see the first cut of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Have had a couple of great results in the last two comps. Last weekend, came third in the Captain's prize with a nett 70 and this weekend won the stableford with 37 points. Maddest round I've ever had with 13 points on the front nine and 24 on the back. Included a Jordan Spieth like lucky bounce from a horrible 6 iron from the tee on a par 3 that was topped and slightly hooked, bounced on one side of the river, hopped over, hit a rock and landed on the green giving me a 25 footer that I gratefully downed in 2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

not too bad..

had couple lessons at the Open in Carnoustie..

Was fixing my alignment and balance

Shot 86 off 9, so happy given I was making changes

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A step in the right direction this weekend. Had 35 points in our Presidents Qualifier, which was Stableford off the Blue tees.

Wasn't going to play at all, as had a variety of things to do on Saturday, but got a message from the pro that my new driver had arrived in, so was able to slot in for an early morning opening, which got me home in time to get everything sorted.

Major positive is that the driver was great. Had been really struggling with a weak pushy fade with my old driver. Even though my swing-path, etc... should have been resulting in a baby draw from the numbers on the launch monitor, I couldn't seem to get the results with the club.

With the new driver I didn't miss one fairway to the right. Part of the problem was convincing myself to not aim up the left, as I'd gotten into the habit with the old driver. So a number of the misses left were due to me starting the ball left & it staying left or drawing. Felt much nicer off the face too.

Had 2 birdies, but also 2 scratches, on holes I generally score well on, so was a bid disappointing.

But the reality is that I hadn't, up until this weekend, managed to hit a single buffer at my home club this year. I've had one decent cut, but on an away day. So, I'm pretty happy, a buffer reached with a couple of scratches on the card is hopefully a sign that I'm on the way in the right direction

2 Birdies
    6 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

53% FIR
    50% GIR
    11% Scrambling

3 3-putts were costly too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Played 9 holes yesterday. First time on a course since August 14. Had 5 pars ☺. Only bad hole was the last - I lost a drive.

In fairness though, it was the 9 hole in deer park in perfect conditions. Still, I was worried I wouldn't be able to hit it out of my way, so was a relief to find that I remembered how to swing a club.

Captains Prize yesterday....first handicap movement of the year, an epic .1 back. 102 strokes, don't think had any luck/any shots came off. Wind was nuts, some heavy showers too so conditions were very tough.

Tbh I wasn't striking the ball badly, it's just the usual being a mid-range handicapper playing strokes, too many 7s in there. Wedge shots came inches short multiple times, probably should have played safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played donabate this morning. Miserable morning to start with but picked up later on. Sorry to say my golf didnt pick up with it at all. Last few weeks just been struggling but managing to save a point or two per hole.

Not today. Struggled badly to come away with 26 points- 12 front 14 back

Parred 2 par 3s was the best of the day and 5 scratches. while it was wet some greens fastened up very quickly and a lot of puddles on greens and standing water due to the down pour.

Must have topped at least 10 iron shots and couldnt get to grips with the conditions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Played in a four man team event today (two scores) but ended up with it being only three of us. Finished with 78 points which was ok considering we were a man down and so many putts just sat on the lip or missed by a fraction that would fall another day.

I finished with Par, Par, Birdie.

18 is a par five, drove down the left, hit a 6 iron to 125 yards, and hit a 7 iron into the green.

As soon as I hit the 7 I knew it was good, lovely flight and all over the flag. It actually went straight into the hole and bounced straight back out to about five foot :pac:

Even got a clap from the one guy sitting out on the clubhouse terrace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Played Rathcore today. 18 points on front 9, was on fire should have been 22 but I 3 putted twice from 3 feet :(

Fell asunder on the back 9, had 4 scratches and ended up with 27 points.

I'm still to break 30 points and I really thought I was going to do it today. I don't think it's too far away, will have another bash next week and see how we go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

35 points today, 17 front, 18 back. Second consecutive buffer at my home club which is encouraging. Having a pretty ****ty year on the course. Lots of good golf today.

Highlights were an eagle putt on a par 5. Hit a scorching drive down the middle and only had 170 to the flag. Hit a beautiful baby draw around a tree into the heart of the green. Unfortunately the eagle putt never looked like going in but had a tap in birdie.

Then on the next I hit a shocking slice OOB. 3 off the tee, hit an awful skyed rescue and only barely stayed in play 100 yards off the tee. Then hit a peach of a recovery shot. Decided to play shot 5 with the same rescue club that got me in all the trouble. Hit it poorly again, scuttered down the fairway. So had 118y to the flag and highly likely to scratch the hole. Decided to be positive and go for it. Hit a perfect wedge, beautiful crisp contact at the flag all the way, landed just short of the hole and caught the edge before finishing about 2 feet away. Never enjoyed a tap in double bogey as much.

The rest of the round was just solid, nothing spectacular. A few loose shots but nothing too bad. Hopefully a really good score is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

davegilly wrote: »
    Played Rathcore today. 18 points on front 9, was on fire should have been 22 but I 3 putted twice from 3 feet :(

Fell asunder on the back 9, had 4 scratches and ended up with 27 points.

I'm still to break 30 points and I really thought I was going to do it today. I don't think it's too far away, will have another bash next week and see how we go!!
    What’s the course like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    What’s the course like ?

Actually played there myself today and overall the course has deteriorated a lot since I last played there. Fairways not great and tee boxes in terrible condition, greens ok. Will not be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

mafc wrote: »
    Actually played there myself today and overall the course has deteriorated a lot since I last played there. Fairways not great and tee boxes in terrible condition, greens ok. Will not be rushing back.
    I think that's a little harsh?

The greens and bunkers are in good to very good condition. Fairways are in ok to good condition. Tee boxes are ropey enough I agree but perfectly playable.

I think it's a lovely course, the layout is great. The layout is streets ahead of most of the comparable local courses. While its not the longest, every single hole requires thought. It's not simply a driver either off every hole, I used driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 5 iron and even an 8 iron off the tee on the par 4/5's!!

I saw they also have a flexi membership deal for €299 which gives you 20 competition rounds plus casual golf for the year. For that alone I will definitely be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played portstewart junior scratch cup yesterday. Conditions were good, bit windy and course playing off back sticks including some of the new tee boxes built for Irish Open. Place was immaculate and greens were very fast.

Was joint leader after round 1 with 77, +5 front 9, level par back nine. Around 6 up and downs, 2 birdies and 4 three-putts.

Started bogey bogey in round 2 which brought my playing partner back level with me but was able to play the rest of the front 9 in level par including a nice 2 on the short par 3. Started the back nine poorly with 4 bogeys, 2 three-putts and another miss from 3 feet after a great chip. Managed to par 4 of the last 5 holes to finish with a 79.

Had the "clubhouse lead" but was pipped by 1, another guy shot 78 77 and we were both a good bit ahead of 3rd place (77/85).

Hopefully CSS will be a few over par and i'll get a decent cut. I finished around 8th overall with some of the senior guys shooting in the 80s in both rounds.

Highlights included pars on 18th both rounds. 480 yards into breeze. Driver, 3 wood..
    Disappointed with all the three-putts and few missed greens from fairways but there was some tough pins and I wouldn't be used to lag putting on such fast greens.

Great value IMO for £45 including lunch.

edit: CSS was 76 both rounds so a 1.0 cut first round (6.4 to 5.4) then 0.3 for second round. Back to category 1 for a few weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played a scramble on Friday with Slave1 from here and two others. Was more for fun than anything else but to be 4 under through 5, we thought hang on, we might have something going here!!

Hah, a GAA Classic, not a chance!!

Still, between 3 of us (apologies to our 4th member who is only after taking up the game and was only their second time playing a full 18 holes) we played some decent golf in between the banter!

My own game was very inconsistent again, was driving the ball well but my second shot was killing me, too many times i dropped my shoulder and caught the ball fat. Thankfully being a scramble, there was always someone to get the ball to the green (Slave1 most of the time!!!) Around the green was good and putting was ok, apart from the last where i drained a nice 100foot* putt for a birdie!! Nice way to finish.

The course was in good condition considering the dry spell but the tee boxes were shocking to be honest, a ploughed field would have been better.

We finished on 14 under in the end and that didn't even make the top 10!!!

* = about 10 foot but i was downhill right to left!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Had a day off yesterday & the missus was away, so managed to get in a round. Played in the Open at Grange Castle, first time back there in years, and the place is in very good condition.

Started really well, Par, Birdie, Par & was thinking to myself this is handy :rolleyes:

Wheels came off then, almost entirely down to the putter. Was striking the ball really well off the tee & hitting my irons quite well too.

Had a lot of 3 putts, and some from make-able 1-putt distances. Was a bit rushed & sloppy with a few of them. The greens were a bit slower than my home course, so did leave a few putts shorter than I should have, but it took me way too long to adjust to the pace.

Ended up with 33 points, for yet another buffer missed by one (which has happened so many times this year that I've lost count)

FIR: 64%
    GIR: 39%
    Putts: 36

Captains Prize yesterday....first handicap movement of the year, an epic .1 back. 102 strokes, don't think had any luck/any shots came off. Wind was nuts, some heavy showers too so conditions were very tough.

Tbh I wasn't striking the ball badly, it's just the usual being a mid-range handicapper playing strokes, too many 7s in there. Wedge shots came inches short multiple times, probably should have played safer.

I was away so didn't get out for it but saw Niall shot 6under (5under gross) to win it... some going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Last 2 rounds were played in rosapenna at end of last week. Really liked both courses but some spectacular holes on sandy hills. Greens were not fantastic on a couple of the old tom morris holes but very impressed with the place overall.

34 points off 15 on sandy hills
    Pretty steady golf overall - we were playing off reasonably forward tees and I kept driver in the bag for the most part which helped me maintain a score. Took me 12 holes to get a par but after that had a good run and had 18 points on the back 9.

31 points on old tom morris (in much windier conditions)
    Highlights were two-putt birdies on two of the par 5s (8th and 18th - which were both playing downwind). Holes 10-14 were playing into a strong left to right wind and were playing absolutely brutal on the day, very difficult to keep it in play.

Will definitely go back! Got a decent deal (for summer) in the hotel too..

I was away so didn't get out for it but saw Niall shot 6under (5under gross) to win it... some going!!!

He was 2/3 groups behind me, to shoot that is mad. Then again, he isn't the average mid-range handicapper playing crap like I was! Would love to have seen that round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

28pts in Muskerry today off the blues. Wind was tough but chipping was poor. I find my concentration is shocking and that is costing me shots and causing scratches. Course management goes out the window and I just hit driver for the sake of it when it’s not needed.

Advertisement